Trishton Jackson: Vikings | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Trishton Jackson: Vikings

This thread is funny. It seems like no matter what the outcome we are never able to accept when a decision made was probably a mistake. Hoops player comes out early, slips to the 2nd round, plays 3 middling years in the show before going to Greece (a lifelong dream I'm sure), I'm not allowed to say "Dude probably made a mistake". Now, a good but not great WR decides to leave early, in the deepest WR class in years, gets undrafted which is LITERALLY the worst possible result in a draft, and still...we can't say "Kid probably may have made a mistake here..."

Sigh. No one "faults" the kid. It's his life, and I wish him the best. He's a good player. And is it possible he lands in a right place right time scenario and springboards into a career? Sure. And I hope it happens. But to imply that he didnt probably make a bad career choice ...and to be clear every one of us has...I'm sorry but no.

That being said...and moving on...excited as hell for the kid to be on a dynamic offense like LA.
Allen Hurns got paid big money by just showing out for the jags as an UDFA, I think Green bay last year 54 percent of snaps were by undrafted WR's

This thread is funny. It seems like no matter what the outcome we are never able to accept when a decision made was probably a mistake. Hoops player comes out early, slips to the 2nd round, plays 3 middling years in the show before going to Greece (a lifelong dream I'm sure), I'm not allowed to say "Dude probably made a mistake". Now, a good but not great WR decides to leave early, in the deepest WR class in years, gets undrafted which is LITERALLY the worst possible result in a draft, and still...we can't say "Kid probably may have made a mistake here..."

Sigh. No one "faults" the kid. It's his life, and I wish him the best. He's a good player. And is it possible he lands in a right place right time scenario and springboards into a career? Sure. And I hope it happens. But to imply that he didnt probably make a bad career choice ...and to be clear every one of us has...I'm sorry but no.

That being said...and moving on...excited as hell for the kid to be on a dynamic offense like LA.
I think board wide agreement that we never consider it a mistake for a player to come out, regardless of outcome, is a great idea.

I think board wide agreement that we never consider it a mistake for a player to come out, regardless of outcome, is a great idea.

Well we can agree to disagree then. And that's ok too. Message boards and forums are all about respectful opinions on both sides of arguments.

I really hope that’s your idea of a bad joke.

Like I said. He may find the perfect scenario. And I hope he does. But if you believe that he came out early in hopes of being an UDFA I have a bridge to sell you.
No one ever goes in thinking to be a UDFA. I think had he had a pro day and other stuff like that he gets drafted though

No one ever goes in thinking to be a UDFA. I think had he had a pro day and other stuff like that he gets drafted though

Absolutely. He thought he would get drafted. Thus, the mistake made. And again, and I feel the need to emphasize this, I don't fault him...blame him..begrudge him...or wish anything but the best for him. Not sour grapes at all, I hope he blows it up.

Allen Hurns got paid big money by just showing out for the jags as an UDFA, I think Green bay last year 54 percent of snaps were by undrafted WR's

Taking into consideration all the undrafted free agents since the beginning of time, the odds of an NFL career are not good. Not impossible but not good.

What are we doing. You could see this coming along way away. Another year of free college and in a draft class that isn’t so loaded might have given him a lucrative contract. These kids need to stop letting gready agents swoop in and using their dreams to stunt their future for a quick buck.
So, they should listen to fans who have never met them or their families and have no interest in them as a person?
I am probably one of the few people on this site who dealt with a player and his family during recruiting and through his career at SU. It literally makes no difference to fan's lives what these kids do with their careers, yet fans pontificate with great sanctimony about what's best for the players.

Last edited:
Absolutely. He thought he would get drafted. Thus, the mistake made. And again, and I feel the need to emphasize this, I don't fault him...blame him..begrudge him...or wish anything but the best for him. Not sour grapes at all, I hope he blows it up.
This paper shows that being an UDFA is not necessarily detrimental to an NFL career, particularly when compared to the 7th rounders.

Attachments

• Going Undrafted_ Survival of Undrafted Free Agents and Seventh Ro (3).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 120
He came out early to be an NFL player. Done.

So you are saying it wasn’t a mistake. I appreciate your perspective but I disagree. I believe he came out early because he believed his draft stock was higher now than it would be if he stayed a year. I believe that in light of the players available and his UDFA this has been proven wrong.

But again I respect and appreciate we view this differently

This paper shows that being an UDFA is not necessarily detrimental to an NFL career, particularly when compared to the 7th rounders.

I 100% agree with this. That being said I 100% believe that if someone told him In advance “you will be a 7th rounder/UDFA” he would have come back

I really hope that’s your idea of a bad joke.
Not even a little bit.

The idea that you think it's a bad joke, is in itself, a bad joke.

Not even a little bit.

The idea that you think it's a bad joke, is in itself, a bad joke.

Like I said. I respect your position. I will never trash belittle or talk badly about a player, nor will I criticize a fan like yourself who chooses to maintain a certain type of discourse. I would hope for the same. I wish him well and hope he has a long productive NFL career. But I also don’t think that it’s being inappropriate to observe that people in every single career path make decisions every single day. It’s a fact they are not always making the right ones. Sometimes things are read wrong. Syracuse athletes are not in the exclusive and unique position in this world of frail humanity to be batting 1.000 in this regard.

The NFL draft is such an unpredictable thing. You never really know what teams value and what they don't. My biggest surprise regarding the WR position in this draft was the amount of players taken from small schools or non P5 conferences. I thought Jackson would get drafted in the sixth or seventh round. When I saw a receiver from Rhode Island and the Navy quarterback get drafted as a receiver, I kind of got that not so good feeling. Well now it's up to Trishton Jackson to show the powers to be that he should have been selected. His success will be a positive for Syracuse University Football because he will be Orange Forever. Here is to wishing good luck to all Syracuse University Football players in their attempts to play at the next level. Orange Forever, Go Orange!!!!

Hiring his friend to be his agent probably didn't help his case there. Someone with a reputation could have pulled strings or set up a workout. It's a double edges sword if you're not an elite level talent.

Hiring his friend to be his agent probably didn't help his case there. Someone with a reputation could have pulled strings or set up a workout. It's a double edges sword if you're not an elite level talent.
yeah, it is what it is. Im hoping he sticks in LA

Like I said. I respect your position. I will never trash belittle or talk badly about a player, nor will I criticize a fan like yourself who chooses to maintain a certain type of discourse. I would hope for the same. I wish him well and hope he has a long productive NFL career. But I also don’t think that it’s being inappropriate to observe that people in every single career path make decisions every single day. It’s a fact they are not always making the right ones. Sometimes things are read wrong. Syracuse athletes are not in the exclusive and unique position in this world of frail humanity to be batting 1.000 in this regard.
To clarify, I'm not saying that they wouldn't ever make a mistake.

I am saying it's not really our place to talk about it in that way.

But let's take Jackson's case specifically - supposedly he has his degree, right? Hard to fault a guy from moving on if he has his degree. He also always knew his best projection was as a late round pick. It's not like this was a surprise or unlikely outcome. Plus, again, he didn't know this at the time he declared, but there might not even be a college football season, or if there is one, it might be a bit different and not exactly an ideal springboard. And factor in, especially for football, why take a beating in an insanely physical sport for no pay when you have a chance to earn money?

The problem isn't players deciding not to exhaust their eligibility. The problem is that the NCAA doesn't provide enough reasons for the athletes to stay.

I am saying it's not really our place to talk about it in that way.

I think there is a way to speak respectfully about someone and disrespectfully about someone and as long as you try to do the former, it’s fair.

If I have said anything that is not, it was not my intent.

So you are saying it wasn’t a mistake. I appreciate your perspective but I disagree. I believe he came out early because he believed his draft stock was higher now than it would be if he stayed a year. I believe that in light of the players available and his UDFA this has been proven wrong.

But again I respect and appreciate we view this differently
You don't know what he believed. Maybe he came out, with his degree, to avoid getting hurt. Maybe he saw our O line and QB play and felt he would never get a chance to shine. Maybe he hates Babers.
No one knows, except him, all of the reasons.
He is in the NFL. Probably had multiple suitors and got a nice deal.

Most people who earned a college degree, chose to stop going to school and make money with said degree. What's to debate here?

Last edited:
It’s been said more than once that it’s better to be a UFA than a late round pick.

I don’t know if it’s true or not. But it’s an idea that’s out there.

He played for Cuse right? that makes him one of us regardless of how many years he played

Well, like Wes Johnson, he was on campus for 2 years, even if he “only” played one.

And he was - by far - our best WR last year, when all the others inexplicably struggled.

Dude is Orange for life.
He’s earned it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom