Troubling projections... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Troubling projections...

TV MONEY. Here in Pittsburgh we have Comcast and Fios. I can watch the Big Ten Network, SEC Network and BIG 12, but neither has the ACC network. Pretty sure most of my fellow Western Pennsylvanians would swap Texas v Texas St. for Pitt v Syr. I use youtube tv.

That's strange that I have FiOS and the ACC Network (right next to ESPN - better placement than the SEC Network) and you don't have it in Pittsburgh.

Don’t forget that the B1G $ also includes gate revenue sharing for conference games. It’s not 100% of the gate but 50-75% IIRC. Michigan & 0$U donate the most while Rutgers will be receiving the most (if they’re full members).

ACC may be in a good position. The assumption tv rights just keep going up is not the right assumption either. They have top ticked their value. There will be a demand for television rights but at some point saturation of other options will diminish them.

With all the sports being moved around during Covid who's to say there won't be another playoff that occurs in Sept/Oct which will diminish ratings.

ACC may be in a good position. The assumption tv rights just keep going up is not the right assumption either. They have top ticked their value. There will be a demand for television rights but at some point saturation of other options will diminish them.

With all the sports being moved around during Covid who's to say there won't be another playoff that occurs in Sept/Oct which will diminish ratings.
This.

The B1G numbers are inflated by gate sharing (prior post), but would still be materially higher than the ACC.

However, an underlying assumption that the ACC will grow at a 3.5% CAGR and the other conference will grow between 5.6% and 6.2% (5.8% B1G, 5.6% SEC, 6.0% XII, and 6.2% Pac). If the ACC’s growth a proxy for the underlying market, which I assume it more or less should be, given a large chunk of it should be related to the ACCN, then a 5.9% CAGR (ACC of other conferences) seems ambitious. There seems like a disconnect.

*Also, the Pac12 is hurting in a big way w/ their T3 rights. I’m not sure an assumption of a hockey stick is accurate. (I know I’m being dramatic w/ the hockey stick comment, but I think it illustrates the point.)

This.

The B1G numbers are inflated by gate sharing (prior post), but would still be materially higher than the ACC.

However, an underlying assumption that the ACC will grow at a 3.5% CAGR and the other conference will grow between 5.6% and 6.2% (5.8% B1G, 5.6% SEC, 6.0% XII, and 6.2% Pac). If the ACC’s growth a proxy for the underlying market, which I assume it more or less should be, given a large chunk of it should be related to the ACCN, then a 5.9% CAGR (ACC of other conferences) seems ambitious. There seems like a disconnect.

*Also, the Pac12 is hurting in a big way w/ their T3 rights. I’m not sure an assumption of a hockey stick is accurate. (I know I’m being dramatic w/ the hockey stick comment, but I think it illustrates the point.)
I was always under the impression that ACC Tier 3 media rights are still owned by each school and wouldn't be figured into these numbers.

Further making this chart an apples to oranges comparison.

Question is where is my payout for staying loyal to Syracuse all these years. Gotta be worth something right?

$42,700,000 to the ACC and a well-earned, hearty handshake to you, my good sir!

Of the things I am concerned about right now this is somewhere around 87th or 88th.

storange translated:

I got 99 problems, but a bitch (in the form of projected media rights payouts to the ACC relative to the other Power 5 conferences) ain't one!

I was always under the impression that ACC Tier 3 media rights are still owned by each school and wouldn't be figured into these numbers.

Further making this chart an apples to oranges comparison.
No, all the tier 3 rights for ACC schools were sold to ESPN as part of the ACC network deal. The B12 has no network, so their tier 3 rights are available. Some of the schools can make a few million selling rights to some games (I think they get the worst OOC football game, a few OOC men’s basketball games and the Olympic sports). Texas makes a whole lot more than that with their Longhorn Network, which features their tier 3 content.

But for B12 schools, a lot of their Olympic sports events are not televised, the quality of the broadcasts that are televised is questionable and the money is not steady. And the distribution for those broadcasts is limited.

If the B12 could sell their tier 3 rights to ESPN or Fox and get a network like the ACCN that pays them 10-15 million a year, that would be huge step forward for them.

Even with all the questionable hires and questionable decisions made regarding specials/documentaries on ACC programs, I believe the ACCN already televises more events than the B1G, SECN and Pac12N by a large margin. This includes ACC Network Extra. Syracuse, for instance, is the only school in the country that has committed to televising all sporting events played by the SU varsity teams at home.

ACCN offers the best distribution and visibility for Olympic sports of any of the conference networks. That is a huge deal, especially for a network barely one year old. It will pass the B1G in households next year when a deal with Comcast is reached and I believe it will pass the SECN as well down the road.

This is wrong. You are going to see companies like Netflix, Apple, Hulu, Amazon get into sports broadcasting rights.
Right now it’s linear TV.

Live content is the only content guaranteed to get commercials of value. That is why ESPN is going to pay the SEC crazy money for their tier 1.

Sports rights for properties that get ratings aren’t going to be cheap.

Hokie Mark has some news on revenue for the first year of the ACCN.

It looks like it came to $8 million per school. This is only the start. I would expect this to be close to $15 million in a couple of years.

Rumor: ACCN Pays $240M for 2019-20

First thing I've heard about ACCN payouts, and it sounds really good!

The start of the new @ACCFootball season last weekend marked the 2nd year of the @accnetwork. 2019 saw the @ESPN subsidiary grow into a successful distributor of #ACC content, with the network paying $240M annually for the rights. For more on media deals: SportsAtlas – Powered by Sports Business Journal. pic.twitter.com/PiIoNLUym8
— SportsAtlas (@thesportsatlas) September 18, 2020
Dare I even believe this means $240 million to the ACC (with an equal amount going to ESPN?). If that's the case, this translates into $16 million per school. Wow!

...but even if it's split 50/50, that's still $8 million per school for a year without an ACC basketball tournament champion, without ACC baseball or lacrosse for the most part, and without Comcast. Not bad at all!

Posted 2 days ago by Hokie Mark
Labels: ACCN payouts revenue