Tuesday's Departure Thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Tuesday's Departure Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bell's per 40 steals went up, and his blocks per 40 nearly doubled. Bummer is his rebounding was flat per 40, might have even dropped just slightly.

He played 7 more minutes a game than he did as a freshman (20 to 27). He nearly doubled his scoring (6.6 to 12 ppg) and his shooting percentage from 3 went from 34.5% to 42% and field goal percentage went from 40.2 to 43.4%, on much higher volume for both. Both his scoring and efficiency approved a significant amount. Also went from 8 to 22 blocks, only 7 less than Maliq Brown on the season. Rebounding is the only area we did not see a significant increase. His defense and rebounding will continue to be problems, but factually incorrect to say his averages did not improve significantly.

Not sure how much I like this.
Same. I THINK that's an improvement from this year, but JJ and Bell are not great defenders. They will really need to improve in that area for this lineup to be better.

I'm also not sure that starting lineup is getting many rebounds. I think Freeman has to be the 6th man, Brown starts at 4, and we bring in high caliber starting 5

Who is Peterson?

lcjIkTwo_400x400.jpg

This guy has the height and length we need at Center for rim protection, but needs to put on some weight.

Don't want a bean pole at the position that can get pushed around in the paint by cats like Burns and Bacot that we'll see in the ACC.

Same. I THINK that's an improvement from this year, but JJ and Bell are not great defenders. They will really need to improve in that area for this lineup to be better.

I'm also not sure that starting lineup is getting many rebounds. I think Freeman has to be the 6th man, Brown starts at 4, and we bring in high caliber starting 5
Freeman can rebound. It's one of his better traits.

Bell's per 40 steals went up, and his blocks per 40 nearly doubled. Bummer is his rebounding was flat per 40, might have even dropped just slightly.
Don’t know if it is his rebounding or his man2man defense that is worse.
Has made some great blocks from the rear but needs to keep his man in front of him or better stated he needs to be between his man and the basket and stop getting beat.

He played 7 more minutes a game than he did as a freshman (20 to 27). He nearly doubled his scoring (6.6 to 12 ppg) and his shooting percentage from 3 went from 34.5% to 42% and field goal percentage went from 40.2 to 43.4%, on much higher volume for both. Both his scoring and efficiency approved a significant amount. Also went from 8 to 22 blocks, only 7 less than Maliq Brown on the season. Rebounding is the only area we did not see a significant increase. His defense and rebounding will continue to be problems, but factually incorrect to say his averages did not improve significantly.
I'm even a little more bullish than that. If his rebounding can get to just even a little below average, which isn't a crazy improvement to think is possible, you're looking at a guy contending for the all-conference teams.

I think we want JJ, Bell and Brown as the core coming back. Add Cuffe, Patterson, Westry, Naheem and the two frosh. We look to add a PG, a wing and a center. Depending on the quality of those three adds, we just might have something.
So this would be the expected rotation with 1 more scholly left:

Pg: transfer, chance
Sg: jj, choppa, cuffe
Sf: bell, transfer
Pf: maliq/donnie
C: transfer, naheem, patterson

Freeman can rebound. It's one of his better traits.
That's great to hear. Brown is a great rebounder too, just undersized as a 5. When Bells on the court, we are essentially rebounding 5 on 4. Which is crazy to me since he's 6'7 and can jump out of the gym like we've seen with his dunks and chase down blocks. Hopefully he can bulk up and toughen up. Seems to shy away from contact down low

I'm even a little more bullish than that. If his rebounding can get to just even a little below average, which isn't a crazy improvement to think is possible, you're looking at a guy contending for the all-conference teams.
Ehhh I think his defense will still hold him back from a more significant role, and ideally he is back down at least to that twenty minute per game, barring improvement there which is always possible. If the D looks like it did last year then he cannot be seeing 27mpg again if we want to improve. He belongs on this team and gets way more crap than he deserves, but we need others contributing to the 3 spot barring a total turnaround from him on defense.

I believe the staff now knows who is going. So portal shopping looks like:
-The best lead guard we can get is priority #1
-Center that is not undersized and is an established performer not a prospect is next
-A wing that can shoot and slash

Mintz just changed his Twitter profile picture to himself in his Syracuse uniform. I think that means he is either coming back or going to the draft. #SocialMediaAnalysis lol
Coming back, leaving, or starting his 1v1 basketball league

of course it's harder to attract players when you miss both the NCAAT and NIT .

Bell does one thing really, really well.

Bell does everything else really, really poorly.

He simply cannot defend anyone. While his rebounding effort did increase, he's still a negative in that area. And he has no ability to create his own shot or dribble without getting stripped.

If he comes back, great, we could use the shooting, but he simply cannot play as poorly as he did all year and get so many minutes again. If Chance is healthy, he brings more to the table.

Mintz just changed his Twitter profile picture to himself in his Syracuse uniform. I think that means he is either coming back or going to the draft. #SocialMediaAnalysis lol
Hopefully he's leaving. Although very individually talented(with some glaring holes of course), I think this team has reached it's max potential with Judah as the lead guard.

Bell does one thing really, really well.

Bell does everything else really, really poorly.

He simply cannot defend anyone. While his rebounding effort did increase, he's still a negative in that area. And he has no ability to create his own shot or dribble without getting stripped.

If he comes back, great, we could use the shooting, but he simply cannot play as poorly as he did all year and get so many minutes again. If Chance is healthy, he brings more to the table.
How do we know this? Chance has played 11 games in his college career shooting 31% from the field.

I want to say there were moments he looked like he was trying harder even though the results didn't show...but then I can picture him standing there staring at a rebound hit the floor.

He just needs to work on everything except his shooting this offseason. Get some dog in him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom