Twitter Q&A with Chris Jastrzembski | Syracusefan.com

Twitter Q&A with Chris Jastrzembski

I started watching the chat last night and turned it off after awhile. Jastrzembski wrote an interesting piece for Syracuse fans when he left the program at the end of the 2017 season. He was the video coordinator, I guess, so he had inside knowledge and was willing to share some of it. He mentioned how Wisnauskas was really good.

Now he has no inside knowledge. He's just like us so he is providing nothing that I can't find on this forum already. After a few minutes he just started naming all the players who were returning and how the team should be good next season. There was no insight, no inside knowledge and no real analysis. When talking about the starting attack for next season he really just mentioned Rehfuss, Seebold and Cook. Yes, those are the likely players to step in, and the ones I've mentioned on this forum before, but no breakdown of roles or possible sleepers for minutes at attack.

I felt the same way after his piece about Syracuse's recruiting struggles (de-commits) recently. He brought up the same issues we have on the forum and at laxpower/fanlax, like redshirting, tuition, lower academic profile. I don't think he even brought up the decline of HS lacrosse in CNY.

I started watching the chat last night and turned it off after awhile. Jastrzembski wrote an interesting piece for Syracuse fans when he left the program at the end of the 2017 season. He was the video coordinator, I guess, so he had inside knowledge and was willing to share some of it. He mentioned how Wisnauskas was really good.

Now he has no inside knowledge. He's just like us so he is providing nothing that I can't find on this forum already. After a few minutes he just started naming all the players who were returning and how the team should be good next season. There was no insight, no inside knowledge and no real analysis. When talking about the starting attack for next season he really just mentioned Rehfuss, Seebold and Cook. Yes, those are the likely players to step in, and the ones I've mentioned on this forum before, but no breakdown of roles or possible sleepers for minutes at attack.

I felt the same way after his piece about Syracuse's recruiting struggles (de-commits) recently. He brought up the same issues we have on the forum and at laxpower/fanlax, like redshirting, tuition, lower academic profile. I don't think he even brought up the decline of HS lacrosse in CNY.
I kept skipping ahead looking for some insight and then it ended 40min earlier than expected.

Maybe rubbed some wrong and no longer privy.
Yeah, I kinda wondered while watching it what the current players think of him doing this. I think Jastrzembski wasn't clear with what he was saying in the video. It was almost like he was being critical of Marcus Cunningham and maybe some others, but he didn't come right out and say it. He's straddling the fence because he has an opinion about the team and a public forum to express it but he knows the guys on the team and doesn't want to criticize them.

Yeah, I kinda wondered while watching it what the current players think of him doing this. I think Jastrzembski wasn't clear with what he was saying in the video. It was almost like he was being critical of Marcus Cunningham and maybe some others, but he didn't come right out and say it. He's straddling the fence because he has an opinion about the team and a public forum to express it but he knows the guys on the team and doesn't want to criticize them.

Have not watched the full clip (by the sounds of it, not worth watching), but also found the Cunningham remark odd. The person asking the question believed that Desko showed too much loyaly to his seniors. I think Chris wanted to say the redshirt seniors should have moved on from the program at the end of last year but then remembered that Cunningham and Fusco were valuable members of the team. Sports punditry can be harder than it looks.

I think Lacrosse in general is still too small of sport for actual criticism to emerge. People are too close to the actual athletes on the field and are afraid to say what they actually think. I think Quint is almost the only person who will add "biting" commentary. I think that is why message boards are actually the best place to get analysis and insight. Casey Vock used to be the best source for actual Syracuse insight, but of course he moved on from IL, which is a shame.

Have not watched the full clip (by the sounds of it, not worth watching), but also found the Cunningham remark odd. The person asking the question believed that Desko showed too much loyaly to his seniors. I think Chris wanted to say the redshirt seniors should have moved on from the program at the end of last year but then remembered that Cunningham and Fusco were valuable members of the team. Sports punditry can be harder than it looks.

I think Lacrosse in general is still too small of sport for actual criticism to emerge. People are too close to the actual athletes on the field and are afraid to say what they actually think. I think Quint is almost the only person who will add "biting" commentary. I think that is why message boards are actually the best place to get analysis and insight. Casey Vock used to be the best source for actual Syracuse insight, but of course he moved on from IL, which is a shame.
I gotcha. Thanks for clearing it up. It makes sense now regarding the redshirt seniors. I also agree on your other points. Well said.

If there's one thing this board isn't afraid of its criticism of the program, players or coaches when applicable (and reasonable). Not everyone is a fan of it but I think its part of the territory for a high end D-1 program.

One can sift and read some gems of substance but loose criticism also comes easy to many after losses. Impressions are one thing but really cant dissect without watching game preferably in person then rewatching otherwise analysis and comments are prone to error. My compliment to this board is its better than many fan forums where flip flopping flippancy is prevalent.

One can sift and read some gems of substance but loose criticism also comes easy to many after losses. Impressions are one thing but really cant dissect without watching game preferably in person then rewatching otherwise analysis and comments are prone to error. My compliment to this board is its better than many fan forums where flip flopping flippancy is prevalent.

Most comments after losses usually have emotion with them especially if it was a game that the fanbase felt we gave away or should have won. That said the knowledge and information here is by far the best around. Powellfan, Creaserat yourself, Ohmi, and several others do an outstanding job breaking down games and commenting on our weakness/strengths. Always going to be a disagreement amongst the fanbase on certain items especially when comes to the programs decline/current status under Desko and the lack of tournament success the last decade. All in an all though its pretty tame compared to other boards.

Jastrzembski wrote an interesting piece for Syracuse fans when he left the program at the end of the 2017 season. He was the video coordinator, I guess, so he had inside knowledge and was willing to share some of it. He mentioned how Wisnauskas was really good.

Now he has no inside knowledge. He's just like us so he is providing nothing that I can't find on this forum already. After a few minutes he just started naming all the players who were returning and how the team should be good next season. There was no insight, no inside knowledge and no real analysis.

When a guy works in/for the program, then leaves and attempts to cover it, it's problematic for all concerned, just as it would be for a lobbyist to be appointed to lead the agency that regulates his former employer. Ethically, even if a writer doesn't know not to take a gig like this and pretend to be objective (disclosure: I write for a living), an employer who hires someone who recently worked for a particular program should have him cover a different program ... probably one in a different conference. It's one thing for Stephen Bailey to cover SU football; he's a journalist and never drew a paycheck from the program. It was clear from a year-end piece at TNIAAM that lacrosse-writer guy was still WAY too close to certain players, and he basically admitted he was incapable of being objective about them.

Part of the issue, I'm convinced, is there are problems with conveying ideas -- that seems to be what people are saying about the comment that redshirt seniors are bad ... but wait, they're good! A mid-April piece after the UNC collapse is a good example (to the extent that I saved it for use when I was going to speak to a journalism class about the need for good editing). It drew some erroneous conclusions, like UNC assigning its poles to SU's mids "didn't really make a difference" when, in fact, the first midfield was held to less than half its scoring average, and Trimboli was held without a point. There was also a misunderstanding about how UNC was able to win faceoffs in the fourth quarter, and an illogical conclusion that Buttermore was "a big contributor" not because he scored a bunch of points from the second midfield, but because he got a few runs with the first unit.

For readers, it's caveat emptor, and there are some clear warning signs with the above arrangement. For serious fans like the folks who form the core of this board's community, you're probably not going to get significant insight from someone a couple years out of school if he wasn't setting the world on fire when he was at the DO or wherever he was as an undergrad. There are some recent exceptions in more major sports -- Tyler Dunne, Michael Cohen, Jesse Dougherty and Sam Fortier come to mind; Pete Thamel is an earlier example -- but these guys were already the cream of the crop when they were undergrads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom