Twitterland Summary | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Twitterland Summary

If the Big East blows apart in the next week or so, Notre Dame would probably prefer the hoops only schools to break away from the Big East football schools. But if today's rumors are to be believed, it sounds like the Providence gang turned their venom on Notre Dame yesterday. This will be really interesting. I just don't see ND being forced into either conference at this time. They've got several years left on their contract with NBC and the BCS system stays in place through 2013. Notre Dame doesn't have to do anything until 2013 at the earliest. Right now, they're just scouting for position.

I missed that. What happened between the Irish and the CYO?

If Mizzou goes to the SEC, and then WVU, UL and UC go to the Big 12, I think ND announces they are going to the ACC. This all happens in the next week or so.

The ACC has options. They may stick at 15, or add RU or UConn. When push comes to shove, UConn gets added. If the ACC has SU, Pitt, ND and UConn, they capture the NYC market and make the BE irrelevant in the city. SNY, MSG, the Pinstripe Bowl...no one will be interested in being involved with the Big East anymore.

You very well may be right Tom, but I just don't see it. There's no way ND is just going to give up their prize (football independence) in a week because the Big East folded. If Mizzou goes SEC, Big 12 grabs WVU, Louisville (at least maybe 1 other), I think the Big East is going to just tell the other schools look, we're not in the football business anymore. Find a football home if you want, more than welcome to stay here for other sports. If you have to go all sports to CUSA, then so be it. And I think ND just floats with this for awhile. They can still be in a conference with Georgetown, Villanova, etc., just can't imagine them making the rash all in conference decision.

Things couldn't look worse for UConn and Rutgers right now. As bad as it looked for us in 2003, this is a million times worse.

You very well may be right Tom, but I just don't see it. There's no way ND is just going to give up their prize (football independence) in a week because the Big East folded. If Mizzou goes SEC, Big 12 grabs WVU, Louisville (at least maybe 1 other), I think the Big East is going to just tell the other schools look, we're not in the football business anymore. Find a football home if you want, more than welcome to stay here for other sports. If you have to go all sports to CUSA, then so be it. And I think ND just floats with this for awhile. They can still be in a conference with Georgetown, Villanova, etc., just can't imagine them making the rash all in conference decision.

Things couldn't look worse for UConn and Rutgers right now. As bad as it looked for us in 2003, this is a million times worse.
they wont have to be in a hurry. im pretty sure 2012 is gonna be the status quo, its '13 when all this shakes out, except for aTm who goes next year.

although, this has been a little like a real war, and to the victor go the spoils, so it all could be done by next year, but i just dont see it.

yes, rut and storz are finding out that they are, well...that they are...rut and storz.

yes, rut and storz are finding out that they are, well...that they are...rut and storz.

7b.jpg

I trhink the dream of Rutgers and UCONN being left out of things and reopening New Jersey, the Island and Southern New England to our dominancxe is just that a dream. UCONN brings too much to the table to be left out and the big boys have been looking at Rutgers for years. If those two don't wind up in the ACC, they'll be in the Big Ten. I'd rather have them in the ACC and be in a nrother divison of SU, BC, UCONN, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Maryland, Virginia and Virignia Tech.

(Which, of course, means we'll get something else. )

I'd rather have the ACC take West Virginia and Uconn, we've had to put up with Notre Dame for 16 years I'd prefer not to play them anytime in the next 100 years. Bringing Notre Dame into the Big East in the first place was the biggest mistake the Big East made and led to the downfall.

You are all assuming that the SEC doesn't raid one ACC team (Clemson). If they do, it will open the door for Rutgers.

I really really really hope not also $20 Million buyout hope its enough

You are all assuming that the SEC doesn't raid one ACC team (Clemson). If they do, it will open the door for Rutgers.
If the SEC takes Missouri, there is no need to raid the ACC...they would have 14. They could go for broke and try and take 2 ACC schools. But I don't think that happens. It is far easier to take a school from an unstable conference than one from a stable one.

Regarding ND...

I think that if UL, WVU and UC all leave the Big East in the next week, there will no longer be a Big East football conference. Don't see CUSA or MAC schools wanting to join the 3 refugees. It would be smarter, I think, for them to join the MAC or CUSA. Maybe the CUSA-MWC merger idea gains traction and that conference, with the Big East refugees, gets the BCS bid the Big East had.

If they all leave, the Big East is left with a decent basketball league, a little better than the Atlantic 10, but not good enough to play its tournament at MSG, not good enough to hold on to its Big Monday slot on ESPN, not good enough to have its tournament televised in prime time by ESPN, not good enough to have games televised on CBS, etc. The league would be so severely compromised that I cannot imagine ND staying.

This is all contingent on what Missouri does, and what the Big 12 does if the Tigers leave. If ND does leave, they could go to the Big 10, the ACC or even the Big 12. My guess is that they would prefer the ACC, but I could be wrong. If they go to the ACC, the battle between UConn, RU and WVU to try and get the last spot on the last rowboat will be a wild one.

Regarding ND...

I think that if UL, WVU and UC all leave the Big East in the next week, there will no longer be a Big East football conference.

The league would be so severely compromised that I cannot imagine ND staying.
As I've mentioned before, ND also has Big East bowl tie-ins. Those go up in smoke as well.

They need some place to play a 13th game in those rare years that they don't get at least 10 wins.

I would love to see ND in the ACC but ND will be indy as long as possible, period. It will take a much bigger shift in the landscape then a few conferences going to 14 or even 16 to make it happen IMO. Worst case they join the Big 12 (offer reportedly is on the table) in the same sort of deal they had in the BE. Football stays indy

I trhink the dream of Rutgers and UCONN being left out of things and reopening New Jersey, the Island and Southern New England to our dominancxe is just that a dream. UCONN brings too much to the table to be left out and the big boys have been looking at Rutgers for years. If those two don't wind up in the ACC, they'll be in the Big Ten. I'd rather have them in the ACC and be in a nrother divison of SU, BC, UCONN, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Maryland, Virginia and Virignia Tech.

(Which, of course, means we'll get something else. )
I can't see both Rutgers and UConn ending up in a major conference at this point. Their horses are tied to ND right now. If ND goes somewhere, one of them goes with them.

To join the Big 10 or ACC at this point (the only options for Rutgers/UConn) they need to clearly bring > $15M (ACC) or > $22M (Big Ten) to the table. There is no way either of them does that.

ND is the get out of jail free card. ND guarantees plenty of money for either conference. The team that goes with them is of no consequence at that point, and only comes along for scheduling simplicity.

Once ND is off the table, the Big 10 and ACC are done. No one else will be getting in. The Big 10 does not care how many members the SEC or ACC have. They care about dollars, same goes for the ACC. These guys aren't running charities, and the only p*ssing contest they care about revolves around bank accounts.

What are the odds that ND joins a conference? Divide that in half, and you have the likelihood that Rutgers/UConn get saved.

Anyone still upset that we jumped ship?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DolphinDad

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom