Two Deep for Next Year? | Syracusefan.com

Two Deep for Next Year?

IthacaMatt

Old Timer / Unofficial Contributor for 25+ years
Has anyone put one together? I was looking at our roster, but the University's habit of listing players by their actual academic class instead of by eligibility makes it hard to figure out.

I know we lose a lot at wide receiver, Nassib of course, maybe Pugh, and on the defense Rishard Anderson, Deon Goggins and a few other guys. But I get the sense that, apart from QB, we are in pretty good shape next year.

If anybody has taken a crack at a very early two-deep, I'd love to see it. Thanks very much.

Rishard has eligibility left, since he missed the 2010 season.

We're losing:
Sharpe, Goggins, Diabate, Shamarko, and Vaughan on Defense, and
Nassib, Lemon, Sales, Cutler, Stevens, Chibane, Alexander, and Lichenstein on Offense. Maybe Pugh.

Rishard has eligibility left, since he missed the 2010 season.

We're losing:
Sharpe, Goggins, Diabate, Shamarko, and Vaughan on Defense, and
Nassib, Lemon, Sales, Cutler, Stevens, Chibane, Alexander, and Lichenstein on Offense. Maybe Pugh.

So our defense is going to be loaded, and the offense will have to rely much more on the running game. I just hope Pugh returns, because he was a big key to our come back from 2-4.

QB - Loeb/Hunt
RB - Smith/Gulley
WR - West/Funderburk
TE - Wales/Thompson
OL - Not really sure how this will play out. A lot of variables. Macky at C for sure, though.

CB - Lyn/Reddish
LB - Spruill/Lynch/Davis
DT - Bromley/Jones
DE - Pierce-Brewster/Raymon

K/P - Krautman/Fisher

So will Hickey. We'll have at least three of our five starting OL back.

I expect Knapp to start as well. Coaches were pretty high on him.

QB - Loeb/Hunt
RB - Smith/Gulley
WR - West/Funderburk
TE - Wales/Thompson
OL - Not really sure how this will play out. A lot of variables. Macky at C for sure, though.

CB - Lyn/Reddish
LB - Spruill/Lynch/Davis
DT - Bromley/Jones

K/P - Krautman/Fisher

Raymon is a DT.

QB - Loeb/Hunt
RB - Smith/Gulley
WR - West/Funderburk
TE - Wales/Thompson

CB - Lyn/Reddish
LB - Spruill/Lynch/Davis
DT - Bromley/Jones

K/P - Krautman/Fisher

Raymon is a DT unless he drops some weight.

Foy started 4 games right - he has experience and would prob play left guard. Who is more natural on the right or left - Foy or Trudo?

If Pugh does come back, we are very solid. I see him going - don't want to risk injury to make your stock go down in season like both Art & Chandler.

Big hole is Left tackle - Marrone said Hickey is more of a natural at right tackle.

Foy started 4 games right - he has experience and would prob play left guard. Who is more natural on the right or left - Foy or Trudo?

If Pugh does come back, we are very solid. I see him going - don't want to risk injury to make your stock go down in season like both Art & Chandler.

Big hole is Left tackle - Marrone said Hickey is more of a natural at right tackle.

Be interesting to see what we do as far as JUCO's. If we go after a JUCO LT, then that may be the writing on the wall for Pugh. But it would be fantastic if he's back.

My best guess (no true freshman):
QB:Loeb/Allen
RB:Smith/Gulley/Moore
FB:M.Davis/Cleveland
TE:Thomson/Wales/Parris
WR:Funderbunk/West/Flemming/Foster/Kobena/Clark
LT:Hickey/Phillips?
LG:Trudo/Foy
C:Macky/Emerich
RG: Palmer/Robinson
RT:Knapp/JUCO
ATHLETE: Broyld/Hunt

DE:MPB/Welsh
DE:Robinson/Manley
DT:Bromley/Raymon/Jones
NT:Williams/Crume/Walls
SLB:Spruill/Vigille
MLB:Lynch/JUCO/Coker
WLB: Davis/Washington
SS: Eskridge/Ford
FS: Desir/Wilkes
CB:Reddish/Lyn/Anderson/Whigham/Morgan/George

they also made a pt of saying he was the first DT off the bench had he been able to play

chandler's stock went up

If Pugh gets word that he is a lock to get drafted, he is gone, no matter where it is. His friends are leaving and he is graduating. There is no incentive to stay. He may get stronger, but he will never be a prototype NFL tackle. He is an NFL guard. I think he goes around 3rd or 4th round.

If Pugh gets word that he is a lock to get drafted, he is gone, no matter where it is. His friends are leaving and he is graduating. There is no incentive to stay. He may get stronger, but he will never be a prototype NFL tackle. He is an NFL guard. I think he goes around 3rd or 4th round.

You need more beef as a guard than tackle and he probably is barely 300lbs. right now.

Chandler's stock went down?

did Arts go down that much either? he got dinged but i thought he had a good SR year. we really dont know what where he would have gone

Won't Allen be a true freshman?

Also, I think the strength of the team will be LBer's and CB's.

I like your list, agree with most of it. Here is mine:

QB: Loeb/Hunt/Kinder/Allen/Wilson

Broyld might be given a chance at QB this spring. Regardless, there are too many players here and I think by the end of the spring, someone might well get moved somewhere else. Unless there is no separation and the coaches want to keep them all in the mix for the fall. But count me in the camp that gives Loeb the advantage for now. But only by an incredibly good looking nose.

RB: Smith/Gulley/Moore/Morris/McFarland

Too many players here. Someone has to get moved. The most likely candidate is McFarland to strong safety, where there is a big need. I am assuming Broyld will be moved elsewhere, as the depth at this position is the best on the team and he can play a number of positions (many of the others cannot).

FB: Coker/M.Davis/Cleveland

There really isn't a fullback position on the team anymore. But if there was, I would list Coker first (I did) because he is the only guy playing here these days.

TE: Thompson/Wales/Parris

I like this order. Wales is a fine blocker but he dropped an alarming number of passes this season and showed no improvement from start to finish. He is often not even ready to receive a pass when the ball is thrown to him. I don't think he is much of a receiver. Thompson is bigger, much more athletic and I believe he has much better hands as well.

WR: Funderburk/Kobena/Clark
WR: Foster/J West/Flemming
Slot WR: Broyld/B Lewis/A Cornelius

I list 3 WRs because that is what we used most of the time this season and I expect more of the same in the future.

Funderburk has size and speed and I expect him to develop into the deep threat we have needed for years now. I think he has a lot of Mike Williams in him.

Foster is a tough, physical kid with a great nose for the ball. A slightly bigger version of Alec Lemon. West is another tough kid who will get YAC and make some tough catches. Always hoping for Flemming to emerge. He plays great in practices and doesn't play in games. Sales II.

Broyld is too good an athlete to keep on the bench. If he doesn't get assigned here, he gets assigned to TE, I think. Can't see him at RB again. He would be a fine DE or LB but the guy has an innate gift to make people miss. He is our best player in open space and I cannot fathom moving him from offense. I hope/expect to see him used not unlike Sanu was used at RU his last season there. Lots of short/medium passes designed to give him the ability to beat someone one on one.

I love the depth we are building here, even if Broyld is moved elsewhere.

LT: Hickey/Knapp
LG: Trudo/Foy
C: Macky/Emerich
RT: Phillips/JUCO

This assumes Pugh is gone. If he stays, he will of course remain at LT and Hickey starts at RT.

There is some controversy here because depending on who starts at QB. Normally you put your best OT at LT to protect the QB's blind side. But if the QB is left handed, like Loeb, I think DM will keep Hickey at RT and start Phillips at LT.

I think Phillips has been a loyal soldier and is going to finally get his change to shine, winning a starting position in the spring. It it isn't him, it will probably be Knapp. Robinson is a good dark horse at OG and OT. Might hurt him that he can play both, like it probably hurt Phillips so far in his career.

Trudo is an absolute lock, he played great down the stretch. Didn't think Foy was bad when he played early but Palmer was so impressive in the all star game at the Dome I have a hard time ignoring him. I like Robinson too...he might end up at the non Hickey tackle position as well.

DE: MPB/Simmons
DE: Robinson/Welch

3 of these guys were in the rotation this season, we only lose Sharpe (which is a big loss; he has had a terrific senior season). I think Simmons is more likely to break into the rotation than Manley because of a perceived need for another pass rusher. He is more like Sharpe, I think, than Manley is. Based on only seeing them play a few series...

DT: Bromley/Raymon/Walls
NT: Crume/Williams/Jones

Sloan might work his way into the rotation here as well. We have some nice depth here. Could definitely see Bromley or Raymon get some snaps at DE if they can get in good enough shape.

SLB: Washington/Vigille
MLB: Spruill/JUCO/Coker
WLB: Davis/Lynch

The biggest open question for 2013. The 3 MIKEs on the team now, as far as I know, are Diabate, Vaughn (who plays all 3 positions) and Coker. Spruill has played there and certainly could return. I think he probably ends up there, with the one of best of the young LBs/incoming JUCO LBs replacing him at the SAM position. Don't think Lynch is big enough. but I know the staff likes his intelligence and Diet Tab showed you don't have to be 6'0 to play at the MIKE. So maybe Lynch wins the position. I will go with this grouping for now, not having seen Washington play a down in person yet.

CB: Reddish/Lyn/Morgan
CB: Anderson/Whigham/George

The staff has settled in on playing Reddish, Lyn and Anderson almost evenly this season and I see no reason that will change next year.

I see you have Wilkes projected to lose his starting job at FS, which is a gutsy call on your part. This rarely happens. Based on what I have seen of Wilkes, this could indeed happen. He did not have a strong season and Desir appears to be a really impressive prospect.

Was pretty disappointed with the play of Eskridge this season. I think that he was hurt, and this was why he tackled poorly at times, and looked awkward and lacking aggression. At times, he also looked very good.

I have heard great things about Ford. He could easily end up starting at SS or FS. Or even WR, where he wowed the staff playing on the scout team this fall. We should monitor where he plays this spring closely.

I think we should also keep McFarland in mind at one of the safety positions, probably SS. That kid would be the second coming of Shamarko...really think he was born to play SS.

I like your list, agree with most of it. Here is mine:

QB: Loeb/Hunt/Kinder/Allen/Wilson

Broyld might be given a chance at QB this spring. Regardless, there are too many players here and I think by the end of the spring, someone might well get moved somewhere else. Unless there is no separation and the coaches want to keep them all in the mix for the fall. But count me in the camp that gives Loeb the advantage for now. But only by an incredibly good looking nose.

RB: Smith/Gulley/Moore/Morris/McFarland

Too many players here. Someone has to get moved. The most likely candidate is McFarland to strong safety, where there is a big need. I am assuming Broyld will be moved elsewhere, as the depth at this position is the best on the team and he can play a number of positions (many of the others cannot).

FB: Coker/M.Davis/Cleveland

There really isn't a fullback position on the team anymore. But if there was, I would list Coker first (I did) because he is the only guy playing here these days.

TE: Thompson/Wales/Parris

I like this order. Wales is a fine blocker but he dropped an alarming number of passes this season and showed no improvement from start to finish. He is often not even ready to receive a pass when the ball is thrown to him. I don't think he is much of a receiver. Thompson is bigger, much more athletic and I believe he has much better hands as well.

WR: Funderburk/Kobena/Clark
WR: Foster/J West/Flemming
Slot WR: Broyld/B Lewis/A Cornelius

I list 3 WRs because that is what we used most of the time this season and I expect more of the same in the future.

Funderburk has size and speed and I expect him to develop into the deep threat we have needed for years now. I think he has a lot of Mike Williams in him.

Foster is a tough, physical kid with a great nose for the ball. A slightly bigger version of Alec Lemon. West is another tough kid who will get YAC and make some tough catches. Always hoping for Flemming to emerge. He plays great in practices and doesn't play in games. Sales II.

Broyld is too good an athlete to keep on the bench. If he doesn't get assigned here, he gets assigned to TE, I think. Can't see him at RB again. He would be a fine DE or LB but the guy has an innate gift to make people miss. He is our best player in open space and I cannot fathom moving him from offense. I hope/expect to see him used not unlike Sanu was used at RU his last season there. Lots of short/medium passes designed to give him the ability to beat someone one on one.

I love the depth we are building here, even if Broyld is moved elsewhere.

LT: Hickey/Knapp
LG: Trudo/Foy
C: Macky/Emerich
RT: Phillips/JUCO

This assumes Pugh is gone. If he stays, he will of course remain at LT and Hickey starts at RT.

There is some controversy here because depending on who starts at QB. Normally you put your best OT at LT to protect the QB's blind side. But if the QB is left handed, like Loeb, I think DM will keep Hickey at RT and start Phillips at LT.

I think Phillips has been a loyal soldier and is going to finally get his change to shine, winning a starting position in the spring. It it isn't him, it will probably be Knapp. Robinson is a good dark horse at OG and OT. Might hurt him that he can play both, like it probably hurt Phillips so far in his career.

Trudo is an absolute lock, he played great down the stretch. Didn't think Foy was bad when he played early but Palmer was so impressive in the all star game at the Dome I have a hard time ignoring him. I like Robinson too...he might end up at the non Hickey tackle position as well.

DE: MPB/Simmons
DE: Robinson/Welch

3 of these guys were in the rotation this season, we only lose Sharpe (which is a big loss; he has had a terrific senior season). I think Simmons is more likely to break into the rotation than Manley because of a perceived need for another pass rusher. He is more like Sharpe, I think, than Manley is. Based on only seeing them play a few series...

DT: Bromley/Raymon/Walls
NT: Crume/Williams/Jones

Sloan might work his way into the rotation here as well. We have some nice depth here. Could definitely see Bromley or Raymon get some snaps at DE if they can get in good enough shape.

SLB: Washington/Vigille
MLB: Spruill/JUCO/Coker
WLB: Davis/Lynch

The biggest open question for 2013. The 3 MIKEs on the team now, as far as I know, are Diabate, Vaughn (who plays all 3 positions) and Coker. Spruill has played there and certainly could return. I think he probably ends up there, with the one of best of the young LBs/incoming JUCO LBs replacing him at the SAM position. Don't think Lynch is big enough. but I know the staff likes his intelligence and Diet Tab showed you don't have to be 6'0 to play at the MIKE. So maybe Lynch wins the position. I will go with this grouping for now, not having seen Washington play a down in person yet.

CB: Reddish/Lyn/Morgan
CB: Anderson/Whigham/George

The staff has settled in on playing Reddish, Lyn and Anderson almost evenly this season and I see no reason that will change next year.

I see you have Wilkes projected to lose his starting job at FS, which is a gutsy call on your part. This rarely happens. Based on what I have seen of Wilkes, this could indeed happen. He did not have a strong season and Desir appears to be a really impressive prospect.

Was pretty disappointed with the play of Eskridge this season. I think that he was hurt, and this was why he tackled poorly at times, and looked awkward and lacking aggression. At times, he also looked very good.

I have heard great things about Ford. He could easily end up starting at SS or FS. Or even WR, where he wowed the staff playing on the scout team this fall. We should monitor where he plays this spring closely.

I think we should also keep McFarland in mind at one of the safety positions, probably SS. That kid would be the second coming of Shamarko...really think he was born to play SS.
Raymon is a DE. Simmons is WAY too small to play DE. He has LB size but that seems lost on the coaches.

Where's Barry Baker? Pretty sure you missed him.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Great analysis as always. I have been thinking about too much depth at RB and QB for awhile now too. There are way too many bodies.

Broyld, will do it all, that is why I listed him as an athlete. He will run, play TE and WR and may even throw some (Stallion).

McFarlene has to move to safety in my opinion. He is too good to not play at all besides special teams. Safety is his best chance.

Hunt/Kinder- one moves IMO. I think if Hunt doesn't win the job and isn't the likely backup he moves to safety. Tom, of anyone you would know. I seem to recall him having a ton of interceptions in high school and being recruited as an athlete by other schools. I think he may be a ball hawk and would be great to add to the competition at safety. Wilkes is too small and too slow and out of position a ton. I know its hard to lose a starting spot, but he has really struggled. We need new faces at safety.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom