Tyler Ennis 2014 Draft | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Ennis 2014 Draft

TacoTime75

(mostly) Silent Observer
Brethern,

Kaleb Joseph may be in for more than he bargained for. NBADRAFT.NET, a site which i'm sure all of you are aware of, has just placed Tyler Ennis into this year's lottery. Great news and horrible news at the same time. 2014 may be another 1 ball handler year

http://nbadraft.net/stock-watch-13

Rising

Tyler Ennis 6-2 180 PG Syracuse Fr.

Ennis has shot all the way up to the 15th pick in the 2014 mock draft as he's shown tremendous composure as the catalyst of Syracuse's undefeated team. Whether he is able to continue to play consistently and prove to be ready to leave after just one season in college remains to be seen. Point guards generally need the most time, and a second season at Syracuse would certainly be beneficial to him.

But scouts have become extremely enamored with his maturity, leadership and most importantly intelligence at the point guard position for a freshman. He's a true point guard who has only improved as the season has gone along.

Most people knew Ennis was going to have a solid impact running the Syracuse offense as a freshman. However, not many could have predicted the level of efficiency he would exhibit as a decision maker. Posting a 5:1 assist-to-turnover ratio, Ennis has looked more mature and NBA ready than many of the upperclassmen PGs in the nation. He has played well in the Orange's biggest games as well, averaging 17.8 ppg, 6.2 apg and 3.6 spg in the five contests against opponents from high major conferences.

While he lacks the blinding speed of some point guards, his ability to switch gears and accelerate makes him deceptively quick. His outside shooting is still very much a work in progress, though his numbers on the season are solid. He also shows the ability to get into the lane and draw contact.

Playing in a very difficult (Atlantic Coast) Conference, we will get the chance to see whether Ennis maintains his level of efficiency. He looks like an elite floor general early on showing the ability to score as well as distribute at a high level. Scouts are beginning to believe he can become a quality starting PG in the league. His being a one-and-done is not assured, though his play through Cuse's 10-0 has some thinking it will be his decision whether to leave after just his freshman season.

Falling

Michael Gbinije 6-7 200 SF Syracuse So.

Competition seemed wide open at guard for Syracuse with Brandon Triche graduating and Michael Carter-Williams entering the draft. With Ennis being seen as the only real PG candidate, two guard seemed generally wide open for Duke transfer Gbinije to see major minutes.

His being on this list may be more due to expectations than anything, however it is becoming very difficult to see Gbinije becoming an early entry. He will need major improvements before being seen as a NBA level talent. It seemed as though things were set up for him to have much more of a role than he has had. Cuse has been rolling, Gbinije is still looking to find himself.

NBADRAFT.NET is not a very accurate source. I wouldn't put any stock in their projections.

I happen to like their site more than Draftexpress.com; Jonathan Givnoy, who runs that site, puts way too much emphasis on international players for my liking.

Ennis will stay. This draft class will be better than next years. Grant should stay too. Get a jump shot and then be an nba all star.

Bummer, I was afraid this might happen. I'm really hoping for 2 years out of Ennis.

NBADRAFT.NET is not a very accurate source. I wouldn't put any stock in their projections.

I wouldn't think so - they devoted two paragraphs to why Michael Gbinije might not leave school early for the draft.

Ennis will stay. This draft class will be better than next years. Grant should stay too. Get a jump shot and then be an nba all star.
so once you are in the NBA you can no longer work on your jump shot?

My prediction for Ennis if he leaves after this year for the NBA. He will get drafted, but this is what will be to the right of his name every game:

"DNP COACH'S DECISION"

If Ennis is a junior or senior averaging 30+ points per game then he has a chance to play in the NBA. Otherwise, he will end up in Europe or China.

And if they are both back, we will be a top 10 (or better) team all season long and have a legitimate shot at another Final Four, if not the championship, and both would end up as lottery picks.

I happen to like their site more than Draftexpress.com; Jonathan Givnoy, who runs that site, puts way too much emphasis on international players for my liking.

You HAVE to put emphasis on international players. See Fran Fraschilla. Givony is respected and pretty connected. I doubt these Nbadraft.net charlatans have an easy time getting media passes for certain games/events.

We recruit at a high level. Get used to this speculation. This is what the elite teams deal with year in and year out.

After we win the title this year, we can worry about all this stuff.
This specualation is with us for the foreseeable future. We have been in this mode for a couple of years now. KJ2 and Roberson didn't come here expecting Ennis or Grant to be 4 year players. They probably don't expect to be 4 year players themselves.

We probably aren't telling Bryant that we expect him to be splitting time with Grant and McCollough.

Just be happy that neither Ennis nor Grant has to have their decision informed by the need for NBA money. If they are locks for the lottery then they should go. Getting top talent isn't as difficult for the Cuse as it once was. Even if they go to the NBA and rack up DNPs until they are forced to play overseas it doesn't negatively impact Cuse recruiting. Players want to go to programs that can get them drafted high, they all think they are different from they guys who couldn't hang in the NBA.

This specualation is with us for the foreseeable future. We have been in this mode for a couple of years now. KJ2 and Roberson didn't come here expecting Ennis or Grant to be 4 year players. They probably don't expect to be 4 year players themselves.

We probably aren't telling Bryant that we expect him to be splitting time with Grant and McCollough.

Yup. I would be surprised if many kids coming here expect to be here longer than 2 or 3 years.

One comp that comes to mind regarding Ennis is Andre Miller. An all around solid pass first point who has classic court savvy. Having said that, Miller played four years in college and significantly improved his shot once in the league. Miller was also much stronger than Ennis at the same stage. You just dont see too many 6'2 180 pg's making it in the league anymore without exceptional quicks or dead eye shooting. I would not worry about him jumping to the draft.

One comp that comes to mind regarding Ennis is Andre Miller. An all around solid pass first point who has classic court savvy. Having said that, Miller played four years in college and significantly improved his shot once in the league. Miller was also much stronger than Ennis at the same stage. You just dont see too many 6'2 180 pg's making it in the league anymore without exceptional quicks or dead eye shooting. I would not worry about him jumping to the draft.

Yeah, Miller was my call a few months ago.

I am a huge Ennis fan...I just love the way the kid plays. Obviously, I hope he gives us multiple years, but if he can go mid first round - who could blame him ????

Anyways, that brings me to my point, and that point is recruiting. It is really great that we are getting so many 4 & 5 star studs, but I think one of our biggest needs is not being addressed. And that need is a kid with little or no NBA potential who can be a 4 year program PG. Right now our program is at high risk. So many great pieces, but a legit PG is necessary to bring them in sync. This year, we will need Ennis to play 35 MPG against meaningful foes. Injury, foul trouble , etc to him could derail our entire applecart. I just don't see us humming w Mike G at the point for extended minutes. If Ennis leaves, next year will be worse. Who knows how long it will take Kaleb to transition. It might even be a multi-season process. IMHO, we need a kid who we know will be around and who can come in and just be a solid, steady player for multiple seasons. Just a smart kid who can see the floor with a handle and hold our big pieces together.

I am a huge Ennis fan...I just love the way the kid plays. Obviously, I hope he gives us multiple years, but if he can go mid first round - who could blame him ????

Anyways, that brings me to my point, and that point is recruiting. It is really great that we are getting so many 4 & 5 star studs, but I think one of our biggest needs is not being addressed. And that need is a kid with little or no NBA potential who can be a 4 year program PG. Right now our program is at high risk. So many great pieces, but a legit PG is necessary to bring them in sync. This year, we will need Ennis to play 35 MPG against meaningful foes. Injury, foul trouble , etc to him could derail our entire applecart. I just don't see us humming w Mike G at the point for extended minutes. If Ennis leaves, next year will be worse. Who knows how long it will take Kaleb to transition. It might even be a multi-season process. IMHO, we need a kid who we know will be around and who can come in and just be a solid, steady player for multiple seasons. Just a smart kid who can see the floor with a handle and hold our big pieces together.

If Ennis can make an impact in the NBA, Cuse may get a reputation as the new "point guard U". Will not be an issue to find good ball handlers who want to wear orange.

Everything coming up CUSE!

Givony might like international players, but NBADraft.net routinely has guys like DaJuan Coleman listed as lottery picks. Their site is generally horrible until we get close to the draft and everybody knows who is likely to go where.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom