Tyler Ennis 2014 Draft | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Tyler Ennis 2014 Draft

I don't think we have much to worry about. 2 years always seemed to be the plan

Tyler will be back. I'm certain of it because that's what Jim Boeheim says. JB said as recently as this past week that Tyler is not a one and done player. That's good enough for me.

A lot can happen. What if he blows up in the Dance like MCW, or what if he takes us all the way to a NC? What if his families' house burns down and he needs the money or he gets bad advice from a trusted source? Seems like he will probably stay but i would not bet the farm.

HUGE, HUGE, HUGE Tyler fan... but he is not ready for the NBA. A nice offseason and great 2nd year, then yes. He really needs to work on his speed in order to be effective in the NBA. I honestly can't see him getting by anyone at the next level as of now. Jumper as well, needs to improve. And maybe most importantly, his defense. He was a sub par defender in high school and is hidden in the zone. This may be what ultimately holds him back throughout his professional career. In this case, the 2nd yr at cuse would do him wonders...as far as Grant, I don't see why he wouldn't go. Have to figure he's a complete lock for the first round. Already has elite athleticism and can defend. The NBA will help him with the rest of his game.

You HAVE to put emphasis on international players. See Fran Fraschilla. Givony is respected and pretty connected. I doubt these Nbadraft.net charlatans have an easy time getting media passes for certain games/events.

I think that drafting international guys peaked a few years ago. I don't think the returns have been as strong as some teams expected. (See Darko Milivic for example - #3 pick?).

personally i'd hope we never get a reputation as the 1 yr NBA point guard pitstop.

Our model (and likely our pitch) is "2 and done", or something along those lines. Come be part of a program, play your role and you will get your opportunity to shine within 2 years. If it takes you 3, that's OK too. We're here to help you keep improving your game and when you're ready for the pros, we will let you know, and we will help you out. Boeheim is really good at talking up his guys for the draft, once he sees them emerging as star players.

Your first post gets me to thinking of the obvious parallel to the point you are trying to make. What the hell happened to Cuse in 89-90? Would love to hear how GT stole Kenny away from us. I have never heard that story. But it seems to me JB thought he had him in the bag. But goes to your point...

Bobby Cremins sent a private jet to pick Kenny up in NYC and fly him straight down to Atlanta for his visit. Who knows what happened, but they don't call it Hot Lanta for no reason.

he might have thought so, but Kenny's mom said she "could never send my son to play for that cold, cold man" or words to that effect.

I think what she said was: "The weather is cold up there, and so is that coach."

Edit: here's the actual quote:

Joan Anderson certainly liked Cremins better than she liked Dean Smith. "All I heard him talk about was what Kenny could do for Carolina," she says. "I didn't hear anything about what Carolina could do for Kenny." She also wasn't all that hot about Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim. "He was too cold," she says. "His town's too cold, and he's cold."

Last edited:
AlaskaSU said:
A lot can happen. What if he blows up in the Dance like MCW, or what if he takes us all the way to a NC? What if his families' house burns down and he needs the money or he gets bad advice from a trusted source? Seems like he will probably stay but i would not bet the farm.

We could have lost in the first round and MCW gets drafted in the same spot.

The tournament doesn't have as much baring on the draft as people make it out to have.

edowd26 said:
i very highly doubt this.

He was a projected lottery pick from last seasons ooc games going forward. His pre-draft workouts were great as well. Don't think the tourney bumped him up much further, scouts were in love with him all year.

Yeah he was a 6-6 PG avging 7.7 assists per game. Pretty sure he was getting drafted regardless.

On another note, why do people think you can't work on basketball skill in the NBA?

docsu said:
Yeah he was a 6-6 PG avging 7.7 assists per game. Pretty sure he was getting drafted regardless. On another note, why do people think you can't work on basketball skill in the NBA?

Never understood that misconception either. Players improve in the NBA, they don't regress at age 19-22.

HUGE, HUGE, HUGE Tyler fan... but he is not ready for the NBA. A nice offseason and great 2nd year, then yes. He really needs to work on his speed in order to be effective in the NBA. I honestly can't see him getting by anyone at the next level as of now. Jumper as well, needs to improve. And maybe most importantly, his defense. He was a sub par defender in high school and is hidden in the zone. This may be what ultimately holds him back throughout his professional career. In this case, the 2nd yr at cuse would do him wonders...as far as Grant, I don't see why he wouldn't go. Have to figure he's a complete lock for the first round. Already has elite athleticism and can defend. The NBA will help him with the rest of his game.

So the NBA will help Grant with his game, but not Tyler's?

I think that drafting international guys peaked a few years ago. I don't think the returns have been as strong as some teams expected. (See Darko Milivic for example - #3 pick?).

Well there's likely to be at least 3 euro 1st rounders this year, 1 of which is a possible top 3 pick.

We could have lost in the first round and MCW gets drafted in the same spot.

The tournament doesn't have as much baring on the draft as people make it out to have.

I think I agree in this particular case. It was the combine and workouts that won a lot of scouts over for MCW.

I think the tournament can make or break guys from smaller conferences that might not have been competing against elite talent all year/weren't being seen on TV as much. For example, Chaz Williams this year could help himself immensely if UMass makes a run in the tournament and he shows he can excel against PGs that are far bigger than he is.

Melancer46 said:
I think I agree in this particular case. It was the combine and workouts that won a lot of scouts over for MCW. I think the tournament can make or break guys from smaller conferences that might not have been competing against elite talent all year/weren't being seen on TV as much. For example, Chaz Williams this year could help himself immensely if UMass makes a run in the tournament and he shows he can excel against PGs that are far bigger than he is.

Agreed, Seth Curry is another example where there tourney can help.

Yeah he was a 6-6 PG avging 7.7 assists per game. Pretty sure he was getting drafted regardless.

On another note, why do people think you can't work on basketball skill in the NBA?

I just don't think an NBA GM will say, "Sure, Ennis might not be crafty enough to beat his man off the dribble, and sure, he might not be a good enough shooter yet, and sure, he might not be able to finish inside against NBA guys, and sure, he might not be able to defend opposing PGs, and sure, he isn't very athletic, and sure, he's a bit undersized, but I say let's take a shot on him in the lottery anyways!"

That's why I think we're safe for at least this year, if not more.

I just don't think an NBA GM will say, "Sure, Ennis might not be crafty enough to beat his man off the dribble, and sure, he might not be a good enough shooter yet, and sure, he might not be able to finish inside against NBA guys, and sure, he might not be able to defend opposing PGs, and sure, he isn't very athletic, and sure, he's a bit undersized, but I say let's take a shot on him in the lottery anyways!"

That's why I think we're safe for at least this year, if not more.

I agree. He is undersized, and unathletic (for the NBA). If he was undersized but had Flynns quickness, or built like Dion then this would be a different discussion.

I seriously doubt Ennis goes that high right now.

Loved DC. But Remember DC throwing an alley oop to himself in the Minny loss in sweet 16 and thereby getting called for a charge in second half? That was a headscratcher. If our own guys let Ken go then that also would be a head scratcher...

I remember that play well. it was a great play. bullshit call. the refs didnt think something like that could be done..so they decided it must be a foul.

that was also the game where walter bond from minnesota received a pass at half court, made one dribble...and made an and one layup without getting called for a walk.

here's my 2 cents. (my net worth btw). money's great and buys lots of big toys but memories are special too. donte green have any special memories in the NBA ? jonny flynn ? pearl ? fab melo? hey one of our best ever billy owens (3yrs) had a decent nba run but he ain't going to naismith. carmelo left with a ring. nuf said.

Last edited:
tbonezone said:
here's my 2 cents. (my net worth btw). money's great and buys lots of big toys but memories are special too. donte green have any special memories in the NBA ? jonny flynn ? pearl ? fab melo? hey one of our best ever billy owens (3yrs) had a decent nba run but he ain't going to naismith. carmelo left with a ring. nuf said.

I'll never forget in Flynn's second year and Greene's rookie NBA season when Flynn made a great play and was fouled. Donte was under the basket in street clothes and the crowd was going insane, Flynn was so pumped up and Donte was standing there with a smile on his face and may have high fived Flynn. But the only thing I could think of was if at that moment Donte had some major regrets about leaving.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom