Tyus Battle | Syracusefan.com

Tyus Battle

2nd most clutch SU player of my lifetime after GMac. Nobody else comes close when it comes to critical jumpers in the last 5-10 seconds of games. There are literally 8-10 examples of Battle winning games for us at the very end.

Last edited:
Really was kind of odd how he preferred taking that long jumper from just a step inside the three point line. He was really comfortable letting fly from there.

Made a ton of them, too.

Scare them with the drive and pull up with that clearance you made.

Analytically it’s probably a bad shot… unless you can hit it :)

OFFENSE​

The more things stay the same...

I found this shot breakdown chart when I was looking for the one from his junior year. Looks like his pro career is similar to how he played at SU [with improved three point shooting as a pro, in a limited sample size]:

Shooting: His shooting percentages are pretty good. Takes a lot mid range shots and hits them with pretty good percentages. His release is high and with his handles he can also create some separation from the defender. Even though he is shooting more than 50 % for three this season — on a smaller sample size - I would say he is a decent shooter from distance and has room to improve in this area. From the tape that I’ve seen, he is also much better in spot up situations than in off the dribble shots behind the three point line. I think he has some reserves in shooting and that he can get more consistent and become a good and reliable shooting threat from distance too.

1*S2th8tv6DNKfg-IS94Slyg.png

Battle’s shot distribution this season (Source: Synergy)

OFFENSE​

I found this shot breakdown chart when I was looking for the one from his junior year. Looks like his pro career is similar to how he played at SU [with improved three point shooting as a pro, in a limited sample size]:

Shooting: His shooting percentages are pretty good. Takes a lot mid range shots and hits them with pretty good percentages. His release is high and with his handles he can also create some separation from the defender. Even though he is shooting more than 50 % for three this season — on a smaller sample size - I would say he is a decent shooter from distance and has room to improve in this area. From the tape that I’ve seen, he is also much better in spot up situations than in off the dribble shots behind the three point line. I think he has some reserves in shooting and that he can get more consistent and become a good and reliable shooting threat from distance too.

Wow. Really liked that left side (if facing basket).

OFFENSE​

Here's one from midway through his junior year [January 19]. Couldn't find a full year summary:

Dw6vkcIVYAA4HOD.jpg

Wish we could have put more around him. He would be remembered more fondly with more team success. Our struggles during his time certainly weren't his fault.
Yup. Tyus creating and making tough jumpers was our entire offense.

Put him with Judah last year or that one guy in 2021, and we’re very dangerous and life is a lot easier for Tyus.

Glad we’re adjusting our approach to trying to upgrade the ball handling/playmaking now!

I’m 34. Tyus is a top 5 all timer for me.

While I don’t think I’d rate him quite that highly
(Disclaimer - I got to watch Pearl, Sherm, DC, Rony, Stevie, et al while at Cuse)

… just imagine what those 3 seasons are like without Tyus. :confused:

Gary Battle did Orange Nation the biggest solid, when he strongly suggested that Tyus reconsider his commitment to Michigan, and go to Cuse instead.

I shudder to think about how those years go, without his contributions.
Dude was a baller.

I’m 34. Tyus is a top 5 all timer for me.
I’m 46 and Tyus is one of my favorite Cuse players of all time. In part because of his play but also how he carried himself. He was my youngest daughters favorite player. When they played at ND, we drove over from Iowa to watch the game. Pete Moore got us in the back after the game. Tyus took the time to come out and talk to us, sign autographs and take pictures. Made my daughters year! He did the same thing when we watched him play for the Iowa Wolves.

He had ice water in his veins. If I remember correctly, the 3 against Clemson, he was sick that day, and hadn't had a great game, then... Hits the massive shot to win. He is definitely one of my favorite players.

I remember watching him gun down G-town.
A truly beautiful moment.

One of the Facebook comments said he was under-appreciated.
Can't agree with that.
He would have been a major contributor on any Syracuse team in any era.

Scare them with the drive and pull up with that clearance you made.

Analytically it’s probably a bad shot… unless you can hit it :)
Yeah, he's an example of where sports aren't always as simple as numbers. Some guys are just comfortable to a certain distance and then something just changes one step beyond it.

MJ made a living after his comeback hitting those "bad shots."

(Disclaimer - I got to watch Pearl, Sherm, DC, Rony, Stevie, et al while at Cuse)

Gary Battle did Orange Nation the biggest solid, when he strongly suggested that Tyus reconsider his commitment to Michigan, and go to Cuse instead.

Dude was a baller.
JB would've "retired" a lot earlier.

Dude was a baller.
We can play the what if game.

What if Malachi Richardson didn't believe his own hype and leave off of a tournament game?
What if Lydon stays past his sophomore year? What if Matthew Moyer was actually playable?

Those years were shaped by flame outs and unexpected departures.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom