tyus wow | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

tyus wow

Pretty sure Dolezaj had 3 straight alley oops thrown over him and had a couple bad turnovers. Moyer’s rebounding kept us in this.

I know this thread is about Tyus, but you make a valid point about Dolejaz. Many have suggested that Dolejaz can play the 5 next season if we don't land another big. Ummm NO! He's not strong enough to play with the ACC 4's let alone the 5. He can't take any contact at all.

Don't get me wrong... I really like Marek's potential and respect his hustle and IQ. He isn't a 5.

For all the folks who say enjoy Battle this year... I ask where he is going? D-league or Europe at best.

Wake isn't even upper echelon and they were able to contain him.
I think the biggest flaw in Tyus' game centers around his ball-handling. He really hasn't shown the ability to consistently beat defenders off the dribble, nor has he demonstrated an ability to find teammates. Check out his assists (or really, lack there of). Combine that with a streaky jumper (with a hitch in it!) and I don't think it adds up to a 1st round draft slot. If that means he stays - which would mean we have everybody back, plus Bazley and Carey - next season would look very promising.

I know this thread is about Tyus, but you make a valid point about Dolejaz. Many have suggested that Dolejaz can play the 5 next season if we don't land another big. Ummm NO! He's not strong enough to play with the ACC 4's let alone the 5. He can't take any contact at all.

Don't get me wrong... I really like Marek's potential and respect his hustle and IQ. He isn't a 5.

The passes were flying over his head, and he was failing to boxout, while on the wing as well unfortunately.

He has a ways to go before he’s acclomated to the size and physicality here in the ACC. I think he’s capable, just needs another offseason of putting on weight. Saying he’s capable of playing the 5 right now is a bit crazy. Its out of necessity.

I love Tyus but I still don't think his game translates into the next level with such a smooth transition that he should bolt, I haven't been around as much so is it still a forgone conclusion he's gone? He does seem like a different player as of late though especially with his explosiveness compared to early on in the year so I wouldn't be shocked to see him playing through a minor injury or two other than the back , we need him to be at his best down the stretch so hopefully things turn around. You'd just have to believe a lineup of Carey - Battle - OB - Bazley - Chukwu with Frank coming in for whoever is struggling on that given game and providing a lot of flexibility and obviously playing plenty of minutes, I just feel as if the offensive ability on that team would create more chances for Battle to showcase his skill set as this season our offense is a rollercoaster ride with no true PG and a lot of young players who have loads of ability but are always going to show signs of inconsistency, I just don't see that inconsistency happening with the two blue chippers we have coming in next year. If Tyus does decide to go pro I wish him nothing but the best and we still have a top 25 team easily in my eyes so it will be interesting to tell, it's obviously early and one or two big games and his stock will rise, I've just been looking into a few draft previews and what prospects people are high on and haven't heard much about him at all and with a big year next season on what surely would be a top team has to be enticing especially in terms of money.

Have to agree, Battle did not help us in this one. Think JB should have gone to Dolezaj sooner. He makes things happen and we sure needed that tonight.
Absolutely. No idea why Chukwu is out there on our free throws at the end. He barely tries in that situation. Marek never gives up on those.

Battle has been “slumping” these past few games, he’ll shoot out of it and be fine, we’ll win our games but we’ll lose some too (predictable). Also getting the hunch that Tyus is going to declare but not hear what he wants or is expecting to hear from the NBA guys and I don’t think him leaving is a foregone conclusion as it seems now. I think I’m the next few months things will start playing out where Tyus might come back for another year. As of right now he is gone, but talk to me in 2 months and I think we might have a different answer.

Those threes were directly Howard Washington and Brissett's fault. Syracuse was beginning to pull away with Tyus on the bench.

Brissett was gassed and did not recover. I think he needs a 1-2 min break outside of timeouts

Battle will need the off-season to work on his shot form. It's painfully clear his form is off and can't even hit foul shots. In addition, he feels the need to take over the game when it's on the line instead of working with the entire team. It is not working.

Teams know a lot about our team now - Tyus won't pass and will settle for tough(bad) shots, Frank can get flustered with tight D, and OB does not have to be guarded. Our best teams are when we have willing passers - this team has 2, and with our offensive limitations that isn't enough. Any team that guards OB from the foul line out the rest of the season should have their coach resign immediately.

Hoops is team game. Frank played very well. Chuk and moyer were ok. Everybody else was subpar. Most importantly we did not play good d or control the glass. Loss is far from just on ty.

I thought when ty came out that marek should have gone in instead of hw. Marek had been ineffective down low, maybe he could have disrupted up top.

I mean Brissett let the same guy shoot back to back wide open threes on his side. That’s not Battles fault. We know we’re not a great shooting team outside of Frank lately. We have to play defense every possession

You’re right on that. The defensive mistakes late definitely didn’t help.

Hoops is team game. Frank played very well. Chuk and moyer were ok. Everybody else was subpar. Most importantly we did not play good d or control the glass. Loss is far from just on ty.

I thought when ty came out that marek should have gone in instead of hw. Marek had been ineffective down low, maybe he could have disrupted up top.
Yes, the defense and rebounding on both ends was less than stellar, and yet the outcome was in the balance until very late, on the road. I expect this still very young team will learn a lot from the experience. The sky ain't falling.

Yes, the defense and rebounding on both ends was less than stellar, and yet the outcome was in the balance until very late, on the road. I expect this still very young team will learn a lot from the experience. The sky ain't falling.
It seemed like there was a lack of energy/desire especially early in the game. It was almost painful at times watching the first half. The second half picked up some, but Tyus still tried to do too much on his own. If he'd try to look for someone open instead of deciding he must do it alone it would make him and the team much better.
As has been said before, Brissett needs to learn to make that little jumper from the foul line because teams are going to quit coming out on him allowing him to drive to the basket.
Agree with br801 that they should have learned something from this game. If they didn't, I'm sure the coaching staff will remind them.
As an aside, just to show the difference in team philosophies, Wake had 20 assists on 25 baskets.

Battle has definitely struggled recently, but it's hard to play 3 on 5 on Offense with only 2 of those 3 able to hit from outside

Banged up over the past month and playing 40 minutes a night cannot be helping him.

Other than Frank's shooting, the whole team was miserable last night, and usually is offensively. Oshae puts up numbers, but is incredibly inefficient. Tyus has become very inefficient.

It seemed like there was a lack of energy/desire especially early in the game. It was almost painful at times watching the first half. The second half picked up some, but Tyus still tried to do too much on his own. If he'd try to look for someone open instead of deciding he must do it alone it would make him and the team much better.
As has been said before, Brissett needs to learn to make that little jumper from the foul line because teams are going to quit coming out on him allowing him to drive to the basket.
Agree with br801 that they should have learned something from this game. If they didn't, I'm sure the coaching staff will remind them.
As an aside, just to show the difference in team philosophies, Wake had 20 assists on 25 baskets.
Yes, need more passing and less standing around at the top dribbling while hardly anyone is in motion.

I thought that too if for no other reason than it would have been crazy enough to just maybe work. A 6'9", 6'5", 6'8", 6'8", 7'2" roster on the floor is NBA level size. Marek is quick, but I don't know if he's quick enough for the slides up top.

Yes, need more passing and less standing around at the top dribbling while hardly anyone is in motion.

I think people are missing the boat here. We stand around the first 15-20 seconds on purpose to wait clock because JB wants to limit possessions with this team.

I thought that too if for no other reason than it would have been crazy enough to just maybe work. A 6'9", 6'5", 6'8", 6'8", 7'2" roster on the floor is NBA level size. Marek is quick, but I don't know if he's quick enough for the slides up top.
I like Marek but I also like Moyer. They both are scrappers who do the dirty work others might not. Moyer reminds me of Howie Triche.

I think people are missing the boat here. We stand around the first 15-20 seconds on purpose to wait clock because JB wants to limit possessions with this team.
I'm not missing the boat...just don't like it. I think it leads to poor shot selection. Pass it around and use the entire clock if needed to find the best shot.

I'm not missing the boat...just don't like it. I think it leads to poor shot selection. Pass it around and use the entire clock if needed to find the best shot.

This team can’t play that way. We don’t have the horses. JB is essentially playing his version of the burn offense this year to shorten the game. Our games are going to be ugly win or lose. If you want to watch an uptempo team you’ll have to wait until next year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom