UCANT or Gtown still... ?? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UCANT or Gtown still... ??

The Orange could win the conference and still not fit in in the ACC.
There only because of football $.
Some great basketball programs.
It's nice to beat Duke and Carolina.
But do we really care about any of them?

That's why - for basketball's sake - the old BE rivalries are important.
Keep hate alive!
I LOOOOAAAATHE G-town!
GO Orange!

Our football program should not be influencing anything on the hill. We’re a basketball school.

Our football program should not be influencing anything on the hill. We’re a basketball school.

1595801583064.png

No, we’re more like the maiden who grows up dating the stable masters kid, but eventually gets a proposal from the nobleman who lives in another town. If the peasant kid had better prospects, maybe she sticks around. But the noble allows her to upgrade while also learning about the world and fulfilling her own potential, which would’ve never happened if she’d stayed in that town married to the peasant.

PS- We are still talking about Syracuse Basketball, right? For a second I felt trapped in a Hallmark Channel/romance novel vortex.:confused:
I disagree. In it's day, the Big East was as good as any conference and was filled with great rivalries. That was no peasant. We had to jump to the ACC, but it will never be that good again. We'll never have rivalries like that because the teams we want to be rivals with have too much history and geographic ties to other teams. The best we can hope for in the ACC is what Louisville was in the Big East. That's not so bad, but for anyone that grew up during the '80's Big East, it will be forever lacking.

I disagree. In it's day, the Big East was as good as any conference and was filled with great rivalries. That was no peasant. We had to jump to the ACC, but it will never be that good again. We'll never have rivalries like that because the teams we want to be rivals with have too much history and geographic ties to other teams. The best we can hope for in the ACC is what Louisville was in the Big East. That's not so bad, but for anyone that grew up during the '80's Big East, it will be forever lacking.
I look at it like being the bmc in High School. High school can be great but unless your Matthew Mcnoneghy in Dazed in confused you have to move on at some point. You go to college in this case the Acc and make new memories.

The OBE died once football money took over. We would've bolted long before we did but VA's Governor blocked us for VTech. In any case, we should thank the Orange Gods that we didn't end up like UConn who lived in AAC purgatory until they crawled back, hat-in-hand, to a brand new BE- same name, different league.
And no, we have always been a football school first even when our teams sucked. Having Jim Boeheim, the Dome, and yes, the OBE might've elevated basketball, but SU sports has always been about the pigskin.
We can reminisce about the OBE, maybe bitoche and moan about "lost rivalries" and so on, but the bottom-line is we are where we were always supposed to be. I can look back at the OBE, but I will never pine for her. The ACC is not perfect, but its the way the cards were dealt, and we ended up with a very good hand. And thank goodness for that. JMHO

The OBE died once football money took over. We would've bolted long before we did but VA's Governor blocked us for VTech. In any case, we should thank the Orange Gods that we didn't end up like UConn who lived in AAC purgatory until they crawled back, hat-in-hand, to a brand new BE- same name, different league.
And no, we have always been a football school first even when our teams sucked. Having Jim Boeheim, the Dome, and yes, the OBE might've elevated basketball, but SU sports has always been about the pigskin.
We can reminisce about the OBE, maybe bitoche and moan about "lost rivalries" and so on, but the bottom-line is we are where we were always supposed to be. I can look back at the OBE, but I will never pine for her. The ACC is not perfect, but its the way the cards were dealt, and we ended up with a very good hand. And thank goodness for that. JMHO
You're not telling me anything I don't already know, and I'm not saying we had any choice other than to make the move. All I'm saying is anyone that tries to pretend our current basketball situation in the ACC is anywhere near as fun as the good Big East days is fooling themselves.

We made chicken salad out of chicken dung. I'm glad we weren't left without a chair and at the same time miss the old days.

I look at it like being the bmc in High School. High school can be great but unless your Matthew Mcnoneghy in Dazed in confused you have to move on at some point. You go to college in this case the Acc and make new memories.
The analogy isn't quite accurate. We had to move on because the high school was crumbling, not because it was "time." Duke, UNC, NC State etc. haven't had to move on because their "school" was better positioned. Ours had fatal flaws that led to its demise once football money got so big and took over. I hope we get to make some good memories soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedSoxNat

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom