UCONN at UB, setting up for a classic P What | Syracusefan.com

UCONN at UB, setting up for a classic P What

Not really...UB's coach leaves plenty to be desired.

It's on SNY 6pm ET if anyone's interested.

Nah. They already had that game ... these are not Turner Gills Bulls

Not really...UB's coach leaves plenty to be desired.

It's on SNY 6pm ET if anyone's interested.

What night?

It's becoming clear why Randy Edsall left UConn.

He made it to the BCS last year - by pulling many rabbits out of hats - and knew that 2011 was going to be rough with the loss of the star RB, much of the OL, I think some WRs and the QB, who was at best serviceable.

He realized that his juice was the 2010 season - that if he did not leave immediately following the Fiesta Bowl, he would likely not have another opportunity, at least in the near term.

So, he used the BCS bowl to get a decent - not great - job.

In the meantime, P and D have a lot of work to do.

He made it to the BCS last year - by pulling many rabbits out of hats - and knew that 2011 was going to be rough with the loss of the star RB, much of the OL, I think some WRs and the QB, who was at best serviceable.

I realized that his juice was the 2010 season - that if he did not leave immediately following the Fiesta Bowl, he would likely not have another opportunity, at least in the near term.

Yep, hope he gets the full five years because he might need it. UB winning this weekend wouldn't surprise me at all.

Kinda feel for the UConn fans because they've taken the most sensible view on realignment. They know where they sit and aren't typing up entitled three-page jilted lover rants (that I've seen).

Hope they have the patience to cut P some slack. I think the remaining BE schools all take a hit on some level.

And even if it doesn't work out at UConn, it doesn't mean that the decision to axe him in 2004 - something I was 100% behind - wasn't the wrong one.

Yep, hope he gets the full five years because he might need it. UB winning this weekend wouldn't surprise me at all.

Kinda feel for the UConn fans because they've taken the most sensible view on realignment. They know where they sit and aren't typing up entitled three-page jilted lover rants (that I've seen).

Hope they have the patience to cut P some slack. I think the remaining BE schools all take a hit on some level.

And even if it doesn't work out at UConn, it doesn't mean that the decision to axe him in 2004 - something I was 100% behind - wasn't the wrong one.
It was the right decision. The wrong decision was the guy we hired.

44cuse

He realized that his juice was the 2010 season - that if he did not leave immediately following the Fiesta Bowl, he would likely not have another opportunity, at least in the near term.

So the cupboard was left bare for P&D? Kinda like they left SU huh? ;)

Nah. They already had that game ... these are not Turner Gills Bulls
Gill made a good career move to leave for a bigger program (and $2M contract) when his stock was at its highest - which is what Greg Schiano (who's shooting star is flaming out) should have done in 2006. But so far Gill hasn't been able to achieve the same success competing in the B-12 (where Kansas is 5-10 under his leadership) as he did playing against MAC schools. All I can say is thank God he didn't end up at SU, as many wanted.

they have absolutely nothing at QB, and still had chances to win in both losses. if they had even a bcs average QB they would be 3-0. if they had an average QB, and todman had returned for his senior year they would probably be top 25.

The wrong decision was waiting as long as they did.
Well, I'm not going to go there. I tend to agree with you, but it was agreed we would let this subject go...and we should.

44cuse

It was the right decision. The wrong decision was the guy we hired.

44cuse

Maybe.
But seeing Ray Rice every Sunday gives me pause. That was our game changer.

This will be a close game, make no mistake...I would go with UB if pressed based on what I have seen of both teams this year..

What have you seen of UB? The only game I've seen is them slapping around Stony Brook. I wasn't able to watch the Pitt game because ESPN3 isn't working for me. The Ball State game was on at the same time as the SU-USC game. Ball State is terrible and they beat UB.

So the cupboard was left bare for P&D? Kinda like they left SU huh? ;)

Not greatly talented by any stretch, but not bare enough to justify a 1-10 season.

It was probably 6-6 or 7-5 talent with a number of future NFLrs such as: (1) Gregory; (2) T. Jackson; (3) K. Smith; (4) J. Mackey; (4) J. Kowalewski; (5) J. Fields; (6) D. Davis; (7) Jameel McClain; (8) Q. Ojinaka and probably some others I have forgotten.

The difference between SU then and UConn now is that UConn now has a really great football infrastructure.

P and D would appear to have many of the resources now that they didn't have in 2004 to be able to recruite effectively.

they have absolutely nothing at QB, and still had chances to win in both losses. if they had even a bcs average QB they would be 3-0. if they had an average QB, and todman had returned for his senior year they would probably be top 25.
Why is it so hard for teams to find solid QBs?

P has not had one since McNabb.

Not greatly talented by any stretch, but not bare enough to justify a 1-10 season.

It was probably 6-6 or 7-5 talent with a number of future NFLrs such as: (1) Gregory; (2) T. Jackson; (3) K. Smith; (4) J. Mackey; (4) J. Kowalewski; (5) J. Fields; (6) D. Davis; (7) Jameel McClain; (8) Q. Ojinaka and probably some others I have forgotten.

The difference between SU then and UConn now is that UConn now has a really great football infrastructure.

P and D would appear to have many of the resources now that they didn't have in 2004 to be able to recruite effectively.

Correct on the 1 class of talent that were seniors. Meant the full cupboard. There was zero behind them for 3 years and we probably had the worst talent in the BE from the junior class on down. You sure all those guys played in the NFL? Fields?

Yeah, they all played in the NFL though some had about a half-cup of coffee.

Joe F actually played for a while with the Panthers.

Y'all forgetting that six years later, there still hasn't been a defense that can stop Ray Rice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom