UConn battles attendance woes for basketball, football... | Syracusefan.com

UConn battles attendance woes for basketball, football...

Summary:
  1. Football stadium is half empty, team continues to get worse each year
  2. Women's basketball gets more fans than men's basketball
  3. UConn still thinks they are relevant in NYC
  4. That's it

df7eja.jpg

This could have been SU if we hadn't gotten in to the ACC.
The biggest difference is the Carrier Dome. Plus the ACC screwed us the first time. I always thought that Yukon would end up in a P5 conference but the less relevant they become the odds become smaller.

I mean I don't get their beef they don't want local rivals. They did to Umass what BC did to them and kept them out of the AAC you must really love traveling to Tulsa to not want an opponent an hr away. They refuse to play PC or URI in hoops. What do they expect? That conference isn't even bad its them who is dragging it down in both sports. UCF football and Witchita/Cinci/Houston hoops were all top teams last year.

They have no real rivalries in football since the program is so new they weren't part of the Big East when Miami or VT were still in it their football schedule isn't that much worse now than whatever schedules they would have played in Big East. And we still schedule them in both sports they don't need to join the ACC to play us we want a winnable home and home in FB and an opponent that will help fill MSG in BB.

Not sure why they want to be in the ACC or B1G so bad... who do they have history with in the B1G other than buttgers and how has that move helped buttgers who was actually decent for the first time ever before they moved? Most of their ex conference foes aren't in the ACC and all the NBE schools will give them a home and home whenever they want Nova went to their place last year and the game was in February not November. Uconn might have some problems but they don't have the problem mid major schools like Witchita historically had with teams refusing to schedule them.

The biggest difference is the Carrier Dome. Plus the ACC screwed us the first time. I always thought that Yukon would end up in a P5 conference but the less relevant they become the odds become smaller.

Don't think that is it. In football we aren't exactly Notre Dame but we are still a name teams want on their schedule. Helps to have a history (4th most HOFers.) Basically ACC Coastal schools sans Pitt are looking forward to our once every 12 year visit maybe not quite as much as they are looking forward to Clemson but definitely more than Wake or BC.

Uconn might as well be Louisiana Lafayette to a Michigan State fan or a Georgia Tech fan (just picking 2 random B1G or ACC teams.)

In like 20 years, it’s going to be really tough explaining to my grandkids that Syracuse and UConn used to be really big rivals.
"Yeah, it was them and Colgate right, Grandpa? My friends tell me we need to schedule harder non-conference opponents, but you think it's because Buddy Boeheim likes to schedule them for old times sake."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom