UConn CYA Later | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

UConn CYA Later

The Helms titles now are exactly the same as what SU's football thing will be in 40 years after the tourney is well established.

I don't think it is a fair comparison...the national championship in football is "voted" but the voting is going on during the course of the season, and teams realize the implications and face the pressure during those games.

The Helms National Champions were voted on several years after the seasons were complete. It would be like a penel getting together today and deciding who should be the 1984 National Champions in Football.

You would have a point if any of the current players had anything to do with the academic problems. The players who put Uconn in this situation haven't been around for 3 years.
Correct.

But, someone has to pay, or there would be a disincentive to follow the rules.

So, the UConn "program" takes the hit.

The Helms titles now are exactly the same as what SU's football thing will be in 40 years after the tourney is well established.
I totally disagree. Simply because Alabama, ND, USC, etc. will not let their pre-tournament trophies be devalued.

You are quite oversimplifying and distorting my position. I claimed our Helms titles are more impressive than your titles in large part because those were the days before NBA attrition. You can claim that you are the best team in 2004, but what if Lebron James had chosen to go to Syracuse instead of the NBA? What if Carmelo had stayed another year? Are you seriously claiming that your 2004 team was better than a Syracuse team with Lebron and Melo? That's a bold statement. Looked at through that lens, the Helms titles are better. We were the best of the best without an asterisk. Syracuse, in general, deserves more credit for continued and sustained regular season excellence. but that's an argument for another day. As for today's, checkmate, my friend.
lol nicely done. i'm going to like this post.

You are quite oversimplifying and distorting my position. I claimed our Helms titles are more impressive than your titles in large part because those were the days before NBA attrition. You can claim that you are the best team in 2004, but what if Lebron James had chosen to go to Syracuse instead of the NBA? What if Carmelo had stayed another year? Are you seriously claiming that your 2004 team was better than a Syracuse team with Lebron and Melo? That's a bold statement. Looked at through that lens, the Helms titles are better. We were the best of the best without an asterisk. Syracuse, in general, deserves more credit for continued and sustained regular season excellence. but that's an argument for another day. As for today's, checkmate, my friend.

Really, your argument is NBA attrition? How big was the player pool during Cuses Helms trophy teams? How many minorities played but couldn't get on a college roster because of racist actions in the early 1900's? How many poorer Americans couldn't go to college because they had to work? How about military conscription and the world wars? If the NBA is shrinking the player pool so were the exclusionary policies of the early 1900's. The fact is the player pool is extraordinarily bigger now than it was in the early 1900's.

Really, your argument is NBA attrition? How big was the player pool during Cuses Helms trophy teams? How many minorities played but couldn't get on a college roster because of racist actions in the early 1900's? How many poorer Americans couldn't go to college because they had to work? How about military conscription and the world wars? If the NBA is shrinking the player pool so were the exclusionary policies of the early 1900's. The fact is the player pool is extraordinarily bigger now than it was in the early 1900's.

You are fighting with a fellow UConn fan, sir.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom