UConn fires Kevin Ollie / hires Danny Hurley | Syracusefan.com

UConn fires Kevin Ollie / hires Danny Hurley

Yikes

"The University of Connecticut has initiated disciplinary procedures to terminate the employment of Head Men’s Basketball Coach Kevin Ollie for just cause. The University will have no further comment on the matter until the completion of both the University’s disciplinary process

Adam Zagoria
"The University of Connecticut has initiated disciplinary procedures to terminate the employment of Head Men’s Basketball Coach Kevin Ollie for just cause. The University will have no further comment on the matter until the completion of both the University’s disciplinary process and the ongoing NCAA investigation."

UConn AD David Benedict: “It is unfortunate that this decision became necessary. As with all of our programs, we hold men’s basketball to the highest standards. We will begin a national search immediately to identify our next head coach.”

Goodman is saying they are going thru the preliminary stages of firing him for cause to try and get Ollie to accept a lower buyout.

Wow that is mid major stuff.
They don’t get Hurley from URI.
I am predicting Calhoun out of retirement and not D-3.

Yikes

"The University of Connecticut has initiated disciplinary procedures to terminate the employment of Head Men’s Basketball Coach Kevin Ollie for just cause. The University will have no further comment on the matter until the completion of both the University’s disciplinary process

In other words, they want to fire him but they don’t want to live up to their word and pay him what they owe him so they’re going to try to make a loyal alum, that WANTED that crummy job and won an NC, look bad so they can save some money. No integrity.

Good luck Kevin, I hope you get all the money you are owed from your disloyal former employer!

In other words, they want to fire him but they don’t want to live up to their word and pay him what they owe him so they’re going to try to make a loyal alum, that WANTED that crummy job and won an NC, look bad. No integrity.

Good luck Kevin, I hope you get all the money you are owed from your disloyal former employer!

Exactly...doing a dirty move like that to a former player and a guy who won a title. Coaches will be lining up to go deal with that bush league AD Im sure

Yikes

Not sure losing 10 games by 30+ points (roughly) can legally be considered "just cause" but whatever.

UConn is biting their nose to spite their face.
If Ollie is fired for cause that means the NCAA has some thing real on them and sanctions are coming.

This will kill them in the market for coaches.
No real coach is taking a job with upcoming sanctions without a contract very favorable to their direction.

Meaning more money, years, lower buyout etc.

This is so dumb for them. They have to have like no money and that is why they are desperate to get out from Ollie and use the NCAA investigation for cause.

Last edited:
UConn is biting their nose to spite their face.
If Ollie is fired for cause that means the NCAA has some thing real on them and sanctions are coming.

This will kill them in the market for coaches.
No real coach is taking a job with upcoming sanctions without a contract very favorable to their direction.

Meaning more money, years, lower buyout etc.

This is so dumb for them. They have to have like no money and that is why is why they are desperate to get out from Ollie and use the NCAA investigation for cause.

if the sanctions are actually coming down, what are you saying they should have done? Fire him without just cause? Or keep him?

I would think Pitt has Hurley if they really want him. I can envision a battle royale between Jim Calhoun's family and UCONN if Dave Benedict tries to bring Calhoun out of "retirement."

Heres a hot take I gotta put out there:

I get firing Ollie because he sucks. but if they're going to try to fire an alum for cause and make him accept a smaller buyout i don't think thats going to endear the Uconn AD to potential coaching candidates.

if the sanctions are actually coming down, what are you saying they should have done? Fire him without just cause? Or keep him?

The problem with firing for cause is you’re telling any potential candidate that the NCAA is going to drop the hammer on the program. No coach is going to want to come in under those circumstances (or will demand huge guarantees).

If you just fire him and pay him what he’s owed, you have a chance of convincing a candidate that the NCAA stuff is a nothing-burger.

Arizona is paying players, unc is faking classes, Louisville was sending hookers to recruits and UCONN is going to fire Ollie because someone left a gym door open past 10pm.

This is all about the benjamins.

Agree, but i think its going to be hard as hell to attract an up and coming mid major coach WITHOUT trying to screw their former coach out of every penny he's owed.

The problem with firing for cause is you’re telling any potential candidate that the NCAA is going to drop the hammer on the program. No coach is going to want to come in under those circumstances (or will demand huge guarantees).

If you just fire him and pay him what he’s owed, you have a chance of convincing a candidate that the NCAA stuff is a nothing-burger.
I don't think they have the money. And I'm not kidding. This is such a desperate move that they must feel stuck between a rock and a hard place.

The bigger problem is that your tellling your next coach that we will fire you for cause if you don't win and we find any loophole possible.

Last edited:
Agree, but i think its going to be hard as hell to attract an up and coming mid major coach WITHOUT trying to screw their former coach out of every penny he's owed.
Yep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom