Uconn left standing when the music stopped | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Uconn left standing when the music stopped

The funny thing is that what I said about Kemba is still not as outlandish as the Boneyard narrative that they CARRIED the Big East for ten years.

longtimefan said:
So much in your long post deserves response and/or rebuttal, but sloth prevents my taking on the task.
I will take a shot at what seems to be a fairly common theme among UConn fans and supporters (Andy Katz?)--that, even if the new AAC turns out to be as weak as is feared, the Huskies can make up the difference with their out-of-conference slate. I think back to Temple in the A-10 under John Cheney. They would schedule tough OOC. I think you guys are now in analogous situation. And that ain't great.
Oh, and I also think you, and many of your Huskie peers, are over-rating your academic status.

Okay--you quoted my post, but didn't reply to it.

Maybe you had no satisfactory response?

C'mon. You're better than that.

He is not better than that shame on you for suggesting a UConnvict fan should show any semblance of intelligence, shame!

Could be. It will come down to Ollie.

I think UConn hoops will be ok for several years at least. it is football that is in trouble, and football is the thing that matters. UConn was able to compete well through the transition to big time football because they were well coached, played a style that gave them max chance to win, and were fortunate enough to have played in a mediocre football conference that had big time exposure.

All of these things are gone now - and to make matters worse - all of UConn's primary 'competitors' are now wealthy and in power conferences. UConn just will not win many recruitment battles with SU, BC, Pitt and Rutgers. Not saying SU will come out on top either, but I like our vantage point. UConn is going to have pull diamonds in the rough to build/hold their program. It can be done, but it takes exceptional coaching. PP is a good man and had his time being a good coach - but I am not a believer. In many ways - I actually hope he proves me wrong. (I wish that for him, not UConn.)

UConn right now, football-wise, it in pretty much the same boat as Miami of Ohio or Bowling Green. Great teams and giant killers are possible - but not very likely. If UConn isn't 'saved' soon with a big time conference invite, their football program is in big, big trouble.

So much in your long post deserves response and/or rebuttal, but sloth prevents my taking on the task.

I will take a shot at what seems to be a fairly common theme among UConn fans and supporters (Andy Katz?)--that, even if the new AAC turns out to be as weak as is feared, the Huskies can make up the difference with their out-of-conference slate. I think back to Temple in the A-10 under John Cheney. They would schedule tough OOC. I think you guys are now in analogous situation. And that ain't great.

Oh, and I also think you, and many of your Huskie peers, are over-rating your academic status.

It isn't ideal but its also workable. OOC can cover a lot, relative to most conferences outside the ACC and B1G in basketball. The grind from those two conferences will be hard to match. A lot will come down to Ollie. I know how much of an advantage ACC teams will have bc of money but I'd bet UConn will outclass the vast majority of ACC teams over the next 10 years in basketball.

I don't overvalue UConns academics. I don't see how it's outlandish to say it has been and is on the upswing. I also don't see how it's wrong to say its closer to Pitt/Cuse than UL is to UConn.

I
I think UConn hoops will be ok for several years at least. it is football that is in trouble, and football is the thing that matters. UConn was able to compete well through the transition to big time football because they were well coached, played a style that gave them max chance to win, and were fortunate enough to have played in a mediocre football conference that had big time exposure.

All of these things are gone now - and to make matters worse - all of UConn's primary 'competitors' are now wealthy and in power conferences. UConn just will not win many recruitment battles with SU, BC, Pitt and Rutgers. Not saying SU will come out on top either, but I like our vantage point. UConn is going to have pull diamonds in the rough to build/hold their program. It can be done, but it takes exceptional coaching. PP is a good man and had his time being a good coach - but I am not a believer. In many ways - I actually hope he proves me wrong. (I wish that for him, not UConn.)

UConn right now, football-wise, it in pretty much the same boat as Miami of Ohio or Bowling Green. Great teams and giant killers are possible - but not very likely. If UConn isn't 'saved' soon with a big time conference invite, their football program is in big, big trouble.[/

I agree in terms of football. Basketball depends almost entirely on Ollie.

BTW that mythical 10-8 season consisted of precisely 2 teams with winning conference records.

You guys seem to be pinning an awful lot on a 10-8 season, one top 50 recruit, and NC Stats sloppy seconds.
2 top 25 recruits if you count purvis and in the hunt for more. But yes. Work to be done, but the class of 14 is well on its way.

and Nolan is your best big since Okafor, right? soon to be lottery pick, right?

You mean outside the 3 other lottery pick bigs since him?

In that case, yes.

He's goin to Europe with Rak and Gbinje. Be interesting to see the minutes distribution.

You mean outside the 3 other lottery pick bigs since him?

In that case, yes.
You do know that those guys were in the past. Before you lost the Big East? Before you lost being on national tv against great programs in January and Febuary? If you don't think this will damage your brand in basketball, you are very much mistaken.