UConn Thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UConn Thoughts

This comes down to one question...

Would you rather have 4 titles and be nearly irrelevant, in non P5 conference, now and heading into the future OR would you rather have 1 title and be perennially relevant in the premier conference in the country. Its tough seeing uconn with 4 titles... but I'm glad I root for Cuse

I'd rather have at least 2...that way, they'd only have twice as many as us. ;):)

Let's just win. We simply cannot afford to lose to this dreg again. They'll probably come out and play balls to the wall, so we have to squash the little bug and make sure they don't sneak one out late.

I know some of you are going to talk up UConn as an opponent because it’s supposed to be a rivalry and it’s their Super Bowl, but we should win this game by at least ten and will be 4-5 point favorites.

Their McDonald’s All American from last year is probably out and is damaged goods from hurting his shoulder in that game so we really only have to worry about a couple of players in Adams and Laurier.

They also are an incredibly small team and have one of the worst two point percentages of any team in the country. We should dominate the paint and the glass. The last couple of games where they barely beat Columbia and Monmouth shows you they are closer to being a tomato can than being a power 5 team. Talk this up to being a rivalry all you want, but this is a take care of business game if we want to keep building for the future.

This is all true, but all that being said, I expect the game to be a tossup with 5 min to go. The game last year still scars me.

I agree with the OP that uconn isn't very good. They weren't very good last year, either. Their "system" is to attempt to mitigate talent differential by turning the game into a scrappy scrum.

Our squad last year wasn't gritty; against "tougher" opponents, we often backed down. That was especially true of early in the season. When we played these morons, we allowed them to scratch and claw their way back into the game, keep the game close, and hang around where a play or two at the end mattered.

This year's team is way tougher, plays more aggressively, and shouldn't be overmatched facing a team that employs the all out scrap but limited talent tactic.

Eph-u-know-the-rest. I hope we stomp on their necks tonight.

I agree with the OP that uconn isn't very good. They weren't very good last year, either. Their "system" is to attempt to mitigate talent differential by turning the game into a scrappy scrum.

Our squad last year wasn't gritty; against "tougher" opponents, we often backed down. That was especially true of early in the season. When we played these morons, we allowed them to scratch and claw their way back into the game, keep the game close, and hang around where a play or two at the end mattered.

This year's team is way tougher, plays more aggressively, and shouldn't be overmatched facing a team that employs the all out scrap but limited talent tactic.

Eph-u-know-the-rest. I hope we stomp on their necks tonight.

Agree with most of your points but would prefer to stomp on their necks tomorrow night when they actually play the game :)

Last edited:
Agree with most of your points but would prefer to some on their necks tomorrow night when they actually play the game :)

I'd prefer we do that tomorrow night ;)

THANK YOU to you both -- I've got a big client deliverable due tomorrow, spent the whole weekend working on it, and was thinking out game was tonight [and that I'd only get to watch us curb stomp those fools on DVR]. The game being tomorrow instead of tonight is terrific -- you've both made my hectic morning, so thanks!

Im not sure what to expect. We are both unknown quantities at this point. Very similar. Too many unknowns to be ultra confident about this.

We have both won games we were supposed to win against lesser teams. Our Maryland win doesnt look any better or worse than their Oregon win. Our Kansas loss doesnt look any better or worse than their Michigan State loss. Similar.

The one outlier is how bad Arkansas waxed them. Thats what I want to do to them. Make them quit early.

I think our offense will have a better effort against UCONN tomorrow night.

Im not sure what to expect. We are both unknown quantities at this point. Very similar. Too many unknowns to be ultra confident about this.

We have both won games we were supposed to win against lesser teams. Our Maryland win doesnt look any better or worse than their Oregon win. Our Kansas loss doesnt look any better or worse than their Michigan State loss. Similar.

The one outlier is how bad Arkansas waxed them. Thats what I want to do to them. Make them quit early.

They went to overtime against Columbia and almost lost. We beat a very similar team in cornell by 30. Oregon is worse than Maryland. They lost everyone from that FF team.

They went to overtime against Columbia and almost lost. We beat a very similar team in cornell by 30. Oregon is worse than Maryland. They lost everyone from that FF team.

Both Oregon and Maryland are still ahead of us in the Ken Pom.

Last year's game was an embarrassment to the beautiful game of basketball.

Worst game I have ever watched. The entire game should have been thrown out the window or both teams take the L. Maybe even 2.

Was on their board reading. They talk a lot of crap and do say this is their super bowl but they really are clueless as to what is coming at them this year. No one on the board has watched us and when Math gave them a civil rundown of us they attacked him. But they do know our weakness of getting ball inside to foul line then dish out when we collapse or shoot if we don’t. Also the ally oops behind our backs

Nobody can deny UConn's success from 1999-2014, I think any rational fan would take that 15 year stretch over any other team including Duke, UK, KU, UNC. That being said, I like SU's positioning over the next ~5 years more than UConn's.

Regardless, this is still a rivalry game. Two big time basketball programs from the northeast. Whether we want to admit it or not UConn is still relevant. They're still recruiting a lot of the same guys as us (Gilbert, Malachi, McCullough, Battle), and are still bringing in highly ranked recruits at least for visits (Cam Reddish). Winning this game would be awesome for this season and beyond. There's definitely going to be recruits in the building.

Edit: somehow I forgot to mention Jalen Carey. Carey basically decided between SU and UConn. So, it's important to win these games.

Last edited:
This comes down to one question...

Would you rather have 4 titles and be nearly irrelevant, in non P5 conference, now and heading into the future OR would you rather have 1 title and be perennially relevant in the premier conference in the country. Its tough seeing uconn with 4 titles... but I'm glad I root for Cuse

i dont know man, if you gave me 4 titles from 1999-2014 id be content for a very long time lol

Another thing to consider for this game and at Georgetown is road and neutral site victories have added importance in the NCAA selection process now (hopefully that's still a relevant topic come March)

NCAA Tournament committee to emphasize road results in new bracket process

uconn and gtown are enormous games, just like maryland was. if kansas is our only non conference loss we will be in GREAT shape to make the tournament. this team should be able to get to 9-9 in acc play, that should get us in as long as we take care of business the rest of the non conference.

look at the last 2 years
2016 9-9 in acc play, we got in cuz we played well in the non conference
2017 10-8 in acc play, we didnt get in cuz we stunk in non conference.

you figure this team is gonna be in the 9-9 10-8 range in acc, so these next few games may very well decide our fate.

i dont know man, if you gave me 4 titles from 1999-2014 id be content for a very long time lol

I agree. The only thing that I could tell how they did it was by having experienced upper class-men guard play. I think we should always try to have a 3-star guard in the pipeline so by the time they are Junior and Senior we have solid guard play.

uconn and gtown are enormous games, just like maryland was. if kansas is our only non conference loss we will be in GREAT shape to make the tournament. this team should be able to get to 9-9 in acc play, that should get us in as long as we take care of business the rest of the non conference.

look at the last 2 years
2016 9-9 in acc play, we got in cuz we played well in the non conference
2017 10-8 in acc play, we didnt get in cuz we stunk in non conference.

you figure this team is gonna be in the 9-9 10-8 range in acc, so these next few games may very well decide our fate.

My thinking exactly!

Like Keith Jackson used to say - these two programs flat out don't like each other.

Last year we ran numerous guys out of position out there or had end of the year contributors be role guys and lost. Hopefully with some more court balance even with our limitation at one of the forward slots we do much better.

But cannot discount the crowd, stage, etc.

Last year's game was an embarrassment to the beautiful game of basketball.

Worst game I have ever watched. The entire game should have been thrown out the window or both teams take the L. Maybe even 2.
I thought the same until I watched UVA-Wisc this year!!

They went OT against Monmouth as well. They're definitely having a harder time of it so far this season then the Orange are.

Losing this game would be not only a gut punch to SU's NCAA hopes but an embarassment as well. This is a UConn team that should be steam-rolled.

l This is a UConn team that should be steam-rolled.

I want to agree but the 6-ish point spread tomorrow has final minute type game written all over it. Hope I'm wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom