UConn Thoughts | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UConn Thoughts

Especially since on at least one occasion of doing that, the result was Battle jacking an ill advised 3 about 7 seconds later. Luckily I believe this is the one Dolezaj then tipped back out to him and he fed Brissett for a dunk, but I was scratching my head as to why we were "trying to kill clock" when MD has an open dunk and then 7 seconds later jacking 3 pointers.
Especially nothing, just because Battle doesn't execute the game philosophy of JB doesn't mean MD didn't do the right thing. And the supposed open dunk wasn't like that of 7'2"'s KS or the one Battle botched at under 2 minutes. IMO, MD was executing the game plan as JB would like, Battle wasn't.

Battle needs to adjust his end of half and end of game time management. Towards the end of the half with approx. 15 point lead going for a two for one wasn't worth the low percentage shot. Under two minutes in the game with a 7 point lead, he had the steal, SU didn't need the dunk, pulling it out and getting time off the clock is more JB's way of doing things. And wasn't it Battle with the over and back. Battle seems just laser focused on scoring right now, I think he needs to broaden his focus a little.

I think to adjust for Frank troubles, use MD more. To me, he has shown a tendency to make good, smart decisions.

This game also reaffirms that we are still not a good transition team. We continue to pass up multiple fast break opportunities when we have numbers on a defensive rebound. The joke used to be that we can’t run because we can’t board but that excuse doesn’t fly anymore. We need to stop saying it’s a personnel or talent issue. I seriously wonder if JB has fallen in love with the slow tempo.
Except for the fact that all you have to do is look over the at JB on the sideline after a board and he is continually waving his guys up the court to push tempo... the single biggest problem with our fast break is for the last however many years we have had guards who are terrible at the fast break and we typically are bad at boarding. Last year Gillon probably could have run the break but we didn't board all that well from what I remember this year Frank and Battle are terrible as lead guards on the break because they get tunnel vision and continually try to take it to the hoop no matter who is in their way or which teammates are running with them. Watching the Nova/Gonzaga game before ours was a real eye opener in terms of how far behind we are on offense when compared to elite teams... those two teams ran the break to perfection.

I haven't seen Carey play but I hope he can push tempo and run the break next year.

Yeah, the failed close outs on Huerter comment kind of pisses me off. A bunch of those Tyus had the same exact opportunities, but we aren't talking about that. Tyus has lazy moments on defense but there is NEVER a discussion of his mental health or stability.

Not meant as an attack on you Reed, just a general annoyance today. You just expressed it most recently.
Not sure where to add this comment but for the last few games I have been wondering what would happen if Marek played out in the front of the zone for a few minutes. Fairly sure he played guard back in Europe. Most likely would be beaten by the quicker guards but it would definitely change the arc on some of those 3 point attempts that have been killing us (especially Maryland and Kansas games). Possibly rotate Marek and Battle. Just a thought. Now I will duck and cover!!

Not sure where to add this comment but for the last few games I have been wondering what would happen if Marek played out in the front of the zone for a few minutes. Fairly sure he played guard back in Europe. Most likely would be beaten by the quicker guards but it would definitely change the arc on some of those 3 point attempts that have been killing us (especially Maryland and Kansas games). Possibly rotate Marek and Battle. Just a thought. Now I will duck and cover!!
I think your post has a lot of merit. Battle should be the 2G most of the time, but if we are getting hurt by somebody like Graham bombing us to death, why not try it for a few minutes to see if we could break the other guy's rhythm.

This is a really good thread. I'll add a couple of points.

As to Frank playing as many minutes as he did and Washington staying on the bench, I hope HW gets significant playing time against Colgate. We're going to need him no matter how well or poorly FH plays.

Related to that, Battle looked really gassed near the end. He was not involved in several offensive trips down the stretch, and the missed dunk showed that his legs were gone.

I think your post has a lot of merit. Battle should be the 2G most of the time, but if we are getting hurt by somebody like Graham bombing us to death, why not try it for a few minutes to see if we could break the other guy's rhythm.

It’s just awareness. It’s possible Marek could be more aware and more quick than Frank. He just is not good at identifying the shooters and gets sucked into the FT line area too much cheating. He gets some steals and deflections sometimes but that part of the defense he is still not recognizing. He’s just not very quick either, obviously. They should be just shutting down threes at the top of the zone with their size. There is length sure but the awareness and general quickness isn’t there, IMO.

Last edited:
It’s just awareness. It’s possible Marek could be more aware and more quick than Frank. He just is not good at identifying the shooters and gets sucked into the FT line area too much cheating. He gets some steals and deflections sometimes but that part of the defense he is still not recognizing. He’s just not very quick either, obviously. They should be just shutting down threes at the top of the zone with their size. There is length sure but the awareness and general quickness isn’t there, IMO.

This feels like more of anti-Frank hate wrapped up as analysis. For unless you have a similar post saying the exact same thing about Battle, then your words here are meaningless.

As to how they both play, I'm guessing that much of the 'getting sucked into the FT line' is at the behest of their coach.

Frank did have a couple plays where he didn't contest as well as he should have, and that wasn't awareness, it was being a bit lazy. Or recognizing someone farther away from the play then the guy he should have focused on.

This feels like more of anti-Frank hate wrapped up as analysis. For unless you have a similar post saying the exact same thing about Battle, then your words here are meaningless.

As to how they both play, I'm guessing that much of the 'getting sucked into the FT line' is at the behest of their coach.

Frank did have a couple plays where he didn't contest as well as he should have, and that wasn't awareness, it was being a bit lazy. Or recognizing someone farther away from the play then the guy he should have focused on.

I know it’s Battle, too. There is no hate towards Frank. It is what it is. Just writing what I’m seeing. Please, by all means correct me if you think he is quick, his feet are quick, or plays with any sort of pace/urgency out there. It is awareness, urgency, whatever. I also think his footspeed is lacking in that area of getting back to contest. But, please enlighten me some more.

I know it’s Battle, too. There is no hate towards Frank. It is what it is. Just writing what I’m seeing. Please, by all means correct me if you think he is quick, his feet are quick, or plays with any sort of pace/urgency out there. It is awareness, urgency, whatever. I also think his footspeed is lacking in that area of getting back to contest. But, please enlighten me some more.

I think our two current guards are playing the zone much better than many of our recent lineups, including Battle last year. They are preventing more penetrations into the lane, and are actually contesting shots better. Guys are also getting better on the other side and making more shots from much deeper. Which means our 4-1 defense is constantly rotating trying to follow passes all over the joint.

I appreciate you conceding that it's both of them that give up shots. Personally, I think it's coaching. Our guards, for more years than I can count, will contest 3 point shots by running to the shooter, and gathering and jumping when they get there, which is typically too late. I can't remember anyone ever running at and jumping in advance of getting there, if you will. I think they think they might actually be able to block the shot, instead of understanding they are simply trying to disrupt the shooter by getting them to not see the basket well, or take their focus off for a second. Now, could this be strategic? Possibly. I'd worry about guys jumping into our guys trying to 'sell' the foul. I don't know.

I think our two current guards are playing the zone much better than many of our recent lineups, including Battle last year. They are preventing more penetrations into the lane, and are actually contesting shots better. Guys are also getting better on the other side and making more shots from much deeper. Which means our 4-1 defense is constantly rotating trying to follow passes all over the joint.

I appreciate you conceding that it's both of them that give up shots. Personally, I think it's coaching. Our guards, for more years than I can count, will contest 3 point shots by running to the shooter, and gathering and jumping when they get there, which is typically too late. I can't remember anyone ever running at and jumping in advance of getting there, if you will. I think they think they might actually be able to block the shot, instead of understanding they are simply trying to disrupt the shooter by getting them to not see the basket well, or take their focus off for a second. Now, could this be strategic? Possibly. I'd worry about guys jumping into our guys trying to 'sell' the foul. I don't know.

I think you’re right about coaching. Cooney did it all the time. Triche did it often. I think you’re right about them defending better than recent lineups. It’s just that issue that we’re talking about here. They contested shots really well in that Oakland (?) game especially. Some of these teams have just been passing and passing around the perimeter and not really challenging us like Kansas or Maryland finally did. UConn was awful but we didn’t contest well enough and our offensive meltdowns let them back into it. In general, I’m very pleased with the defense. The offense is another story.

A very insightful post in many respects, but I do have a couple of nits to pick.

2. I do not see how not taking Howard out for a few minutes helps him to work thru games like this. I see exactly the opposite, a few minutes of bench-time would have given Jimmy a great coaching opportunity to correct and would have allowed Frank to try and adjust on the fly. That will be a necessity the next time things get tough for the kid since he does not have a high enuf BB IQ to work through these things wo coaching. Allowing Frank to work through should mean not benching him for the game, it should not mean that he can't be sat down for a few minutes.

I agree with this. I was stunned that Frank didn't get the hook. I think it says more about our coach's confidence in his backup then anything else.

I agree with this. I was stunned that Frank didn't get the hook. I think it says more about our coach's confidence in his backup then anything else.
You may be right, but in Washington's few cameos, including the first half of that game, he was fine. He played within himself and did not make any foolish mistakes. He still has a was to go before he becomes a positive force on the floor, but he can certainly caretake the position for a few minutes here and there.

I was not intending this thought to be anti-Frank. I was only trying to alter the shooting angle for a "hot" shooter by changing a couple of positions on the floor. Seeing Marek play at the 5, out of necessity, against UCONN just refueled my curiosity on how different many ways JB could use him. I think we are all frustrated to see opposing guards continually hit those long threes from straight on.

I think you’re right about coaching. Cooney did it all the time. Triche did it often. I think you’re right about them defending better than recent lineups. It’s just that issue that we’re talking about here. They contested shots really well in that Oakland (?) game especially. Some of these teams have just been passing and passing around the perimeter and not really challenging us like Kansas or Maryland finally did. UConn was awful but we didn’t contest well enough and our offensive meltdowns let them back into it. In general, I’m very pleased with the defense. The offense is another story.
Agree about both defense and offense, except that our defense hasn't been as good outside the 3pt line as it has been on the interior. As far as guard penetration, Howard and Battle are as good as I can remember, maybe better than Scoop/MCW and Triche. They have excellent length and really pinch in well. I've also noticed that, on occasion, they have been able to close down on a foul line shooter and then sprint back out to cover a 3pt threat. Great to see.

That said, going back through pretty much any game film, it's obvious that our guards still have work to do defending the perimeter. We have had consistent problems finding and closing out on shooters, even the well-known ones (Huerter; Graham, etc). Some of it is fatigue with guys playing so many minutes. Some of it is help rotation (experience). Some of it is effort (hands down). And some of it is coaching. Overall, however, I still think this team has a chance to be one of the best defensive teams in years if they can get their act together on the perimeter.

The best coaching move Ollie made all day was putting Antowine Anderson on Howard and telling him to bump and grab every time, even when he had four fouls.
Ollie rolled the dice hoping that the refs wouldn't foul him out, and despite a crew that was pretty quick on the whistle with the bigs, they obliged.

I remember watching a a game with Louisville a few years ago. I told my wife I would know whether we would win the game on our first first possession because I would see whether the refs were going to allow Louisville to chest bump Michael Gbinije at the top of the key.

Sure enough, on the first possession a Louisville guard hits Gbinije so hard it staggered him. No call.

I think on our next possession - either G or Cooney were bumped two or three times on the way up court. No call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom