UConn Women in a tight game | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

UConn Women in a tight game

I really had no intention of watching that game I'm so sick of UConn. But I happened to flip over and it was 19-13 Miss State in the first quarter so I figured I'd stick with it and see what would happen. Didn't think I'd still be there a couple hours later. Great effort by Miss State. I really thought UConn would pull away in OT.

Game was on way too late for me but question for those who watched it. Was this like Buster Douglas beating Tyson? storz is so used to destroying teams that when Miss. St. kept it close and wasn't intimidated the storz ladies didn't know how to handle it?

Game was on way too late for me but question for those who watched it. Was this like Buster Douglas beating Tyson? storz is so used to destroying teams that when Miss. St. kept it close and wasn't intimidated the storz ladies didn't know how to handle it?
I really think UConn had never been in that position before and they kept getting tighter. Like everyone else, I thought they would win...
Super good close game.

Not quite. MSU had a big lead in the first half, which uconn cut to 2 at half time. Then it was back and forth the entire second half.

MSU had a 2 point lead with about 25 seconds to go, and forced a miss. But a uconn player took a dive and feigned getting hit in the face by an elbow. The refs went to the monitors to review [even though MSU had the ball], and despite it being a clear flop, they called a foul on the MSU player. Uconn went to the line, nailed both FTs, AND got awarded the ball. It was almost like the refs didn't want uconn to lose.

But Uconn missed, MSU got the ball, and after a timeout, they hit the shot as time expired.

Ball game.

Miss St hit UConn in the mouth right of the bat, UConn slowly fought back so by the end of the 3rd quarter it was a tied game. The 4th quarter Uconn took a 3 point lead but Miss St fought back making it a game of exchanging baskets till the end of regulation. OT was sloppy with only 6 points scored by Miss St but they held UConn to only one basket and the 2 free throws from the flagrant foul. Defense ruled the OT.

Vivians, Miss St's leading scorer all season including this game(she had 19) , fouled out in the 4th but they never skipped a beat. UConn had 2 players with 4 fouls but no one who fouled out. I was surprised at how poorly UConn shot their free throws. (68% vs 76.9%) UConn got 12 more free throws but only made 7 more than Miss st. They lost it at the free throw line.

UConn not used to getting pushed around, my bet is they aren't conditioned for it. When you consistently beat teams by 50+ points a game how do you ever build any stamina for a dogfight if you're never in a dogfight? UConn has lost all 5 OT games they've played in.

Game kept me awake. But what really catapulted me out of near sleep was the two DOPES doing the game calling that " OSCAR WINNING" head throwback and grab of her throat flop by the UConn girl an obvious flagrant. The small girl barely moved her arm. I was beside myself and could care less who would win the game. How could refs AND the announcers not see what happened?

Not quite. MSU had a big lead in the first half, which uconn cut to 2 at half time. Then it was back and forth the entire second half.

MSU had a 2 point lead with about 25 seconds to go, and forced a miss. But a uconn player took a dive and feigned getting hit in the face by an elbow. The refs went to the monitors to review [even though MSU had the ball], and despite it being a clear flop, they called a foul on the MSU player. Uconn went to the line, nailed both FTs, AND got awarded the ball. It was almost like the refs didn't want uconn to lose.

But Uconn missed, MSU got the ball, and after a timeout, they hit the shot as time expired.

Ball game.

It was 36-28 Mississippi State in the lead, at the half.

If it was a flop, it was like the Connecticut player didn't want to lose. She got touched or pushed in the throat. She seemed ok once it was all over, and made the free throws easily.

It was interesting that the last meeting was a 60 point win for UConn. Mississippi State put the number 60 on the weight room door, and the score at the end of regulation was 60-60.

I watched about the last 3 minutes of regulation and the OT. UConn looked terrible the entire time. The refs tried to give it back to them and they still choked. MSU did not play perfect. They were trying to hand the game to UConn with ridiculous turnovers and attempts at hero ball. It was very poorly played. Even travel-girl couldn't hit a shot in the entire period I was watching. She was traveling just fine on the catch like normal but the shots just wouldn't go down.

I watched about the last 3 minutes of regulation and the OT. UConn looked terrible the entire time. The refs tried to give it back to them and they still choked. MSU did not play perfect. They were trying to hand the game to UConn with ridiculous turnovers and attempts at hero ball. It was very poorly played. Even travel-girl couldn't hit a shot in the entire period I was watching. She was traveling just fine on the catch like normal but the shots just wouldn't go down.

That's a good point. I always thought a team would have to play close to a perfect game to beat UConn. MSU played well but not even close to perfect, especially in the second half. But UConn just couldn't take advantage of opportunities like they usually do.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom