UConn Women in a tight game | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

UConn Women in a tight game

The pressure of 111 games will tighten you up. Its a wonder, that in a finesse type of game, that a team can make their shots 111 games in a row. And not a big pressing team, at least last night. Their best player was on the bench though, Breanna Stewart. :)

Who was travel-girl? I didn't notice.

The pressure of 111 games will tighten you up. Its a wonder, that in a finesse type of game, that a team can make their shots 111 games in a row. And not a big pressing team, at least last night. Their best player was on the bench though, Breanna Stewart. :)

Who was travel-girl? I didn't notice.
Kia Nurse, she does a hop, skip and jump before launching her 3s

It was 36-28 Mississippi State in the lead, at the half.

If it was a flop, it was like the Connecticut player didn't want to lose. She got touched or pushed in the throat. She seemed ok once it was all over, and made the free throws easily.

It was interesting that the last meeting was a 60 point win for UConn. Mississippi State put the number 60 on the weight room door, and the score at the end of regulation was 60-60.

It absolutely was a flop. She got hit in the face with a hand. She went down as though she'd been elbowed in the throat, clutching her neck like she couldn't breathe.

It absolutely was a flop. She got hit in the face with a hand. She went down as though she'd been elbowed in the throat, clutching her neck like she couldn't breathe.
I realize that it was quite possibly a flop, but I thought the contact was with the arm and her throat. I didn't realize the contact was with the UConn player's face.

My $.02...MSU tight man d prevented yuckconn from their usual flawless ball movement early on and they started like 1-10 from 3 until hit a couple late in first half. MSU has a 6'7" and 6'5" center so they were tough on the defensive boards limiting Conn's 2nd chances to extend possessions. MSU also ran a LOT of clock, almost to the detriment of running out of clock and not getting up a good shot many times. PG should have started sooner IMO.

And Chong made a dumb play in OT when they could have held for last shot and got called for charge with 12 sec left giving MSU the final possession to win. UConn looked a little "off" offensively, but as someone else said MSU did enough to win but was not perfect either.

Last edited:
I realize that it was quite possibly a flop, but I thought the contact was with the arm and her throat. I didn't realize the contact was with the UConn player's face.

I think that to understand how bad the call was, the context of the game situation also needs to be taken into account. MSU had a 2 point lead with 40 seconds left in OT, forced a uconn miss and got the rebound. After they secured the possession, the refs stopped the game to review due to the uconn player going to the ground like she'd been shot, feigning that she was choking from a hit to the throat.

I don't deny that there was contact, but it was a lot closer to incidental contact than a blast to the face. Certainly not an elbow or a blow to the throat, and not warranting a flagrant foul nor a technical foul. It was akin to the refs stopping any given game, and then going back to call a travel that they'd missed to give the other team a chance to win at the end of a close game.

The net result was that uconn got awarded BOTH two free throws and the ball. They tied it up on the FTs and could have won it with the final possession. If that had happened, MSU would have been the victims of highway robbery.

Fortunately, the basketball gods righted the ship.

I thought the contact on the flagrant was an elbow to throat, but inadvertent. Post lob pass was coming over top and both players fought for position to catch it, but the big MSU center tipped it and threw off the trajectory. As both players compensated the contact occurred and should have been play on. Which at live speed it was, only at next stop of time did refs review it and make the call. Doris the Geno homer was beside herself with the outrage. Loved it when she didn't mutter a word when MSU won or earlier when they took back the lead after UConn briefly had it. Her silence spoke volumes!

My $.02...MSU tight man d prevented yuckconn from their usual flawless ball movement early on and they started like 1-10 from 3 until hit a couple late in first half. MSU has a 6'7" and 6'5" center so they were tough on the defensive boards limiting Conn's 2nd chances to extend possessions. MSU also ran a LOT of clock, almost to the detriment of running out of clock and not getting up a good shot many times. PG should have started sooner IMO.

And Chong made a dumb play in OT when they could have held for last shot and got called for charge with 12 sec left giving MSU the final possession to win. UConn looked a little "off" offensively, but as someone else said MSU did enough to win but was not perfect either.

I don't believe Chong was called for a charge. I think it was just no call, ball was thrown out of bounds by Chong.

I think the refs just missed a common foul which happened all game both ways. I didn't see it as flagrant but a desperate theatrical attempt with time running out to get a call since she fell and took herself out of the play allowing Miss St not only having the ball but the player advantage heading down court.

Lol
One of my favorite stories about the Miracle On Ice was right before the Gold Medal game, Coach Herb Brooks walks into the locker room, looks at his team and doesn't say a word for a full 3 minutes...which was quite rare for him.
Finally, he says: " If you lose this game tonite, you'll take it to your f%*kin graves".
He starts to walk out, takes about 10 steps & turns around, walks back into the locker room and says: " Your f%*kin graves"!
Then walks back out.

Last edited:
I don't believe Chong was called for a charge. I think it was just no call, ball was thrown out of bounds by Chong.
That last bonehead UConn possession in OT they were clearly using a play drawn up by Cuse and used many times at the end of first halfs this season. It's called Drive to Nowhere and Throw the Ball Away -- especially with 12 seconds left and you have the last shot. Huge mistake.

Brutal.
C8TQ7poUQAACM1I.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom