UConn women | Syracusefan.com

UConn women

MSOrange

2020 Cali Award Winner, Regular Season Record
I saw their 100 game winning streak was the top story on Sportscenter. My question is does anyone give a crap anymore?? This isn't meant to bash women's basketball. I actually enjoy watching some of it. I'm not sure if it's because it's a bit slower or more below the rim, but I pick up some strategy and X and O aspects watching the woman's game that I miss watching the men.

But what's the point anymore? We know they are better than everyone and it's not even interesting to watch anymore. As exciting as our season was last year, it sucked going to the championship game knowing we would need beyond a miracle to win. I don't mind a dynasty I guess, but this has gotten to the point where it has made a game that already struggles in popularity even more boring.

I saw their 100 game winning streak was the top story on Sportscenter. My question is does anyone give a crap anymore?? This isn't meant to bash women's basketball. I actually enjoy watching some of it. I'm not sure if it's because it's a bit slower or more below the rim, but I pick up some strategy and X and O aspects watching the woman's game that I miss watching the men.

But what's the point anymore? We know they are better than everyone and it's not even interesting to watch anymore. As exciting as our season was last year, it sucked going to the championship game knowing we would need beyond a miracle to win. I don't mind a dynasty I guess, but this has gotten to the point where it has made a game that already struggles in popularity even more boring.

You just caused me to swear out loud after this reminded me to check the Kansas score. It looks like theyre winning the Big 12 again. :mad:

I too learn things by watching women's hoops. I learn quickly why I don't watch it.

I'm obviously not hoping they lose, but I stopped going to the games long ago. Their practices are more competitive that almost all of their game. They could be upset in the tournament, but it's not looking likely.

In an odd way, Title IX could be hurting Div I women's basketball at this point. Teams are allowed to carry 15 players on scholarship. I doubt cutting this to 13 would hurt UConn anytime soon, but it may help spread the top talent around a little more evenly.

Last edited:
Congrats to their streak but the sport is devoid of talent that one team can win 100 games in a row.
That team is well coached and plays really good but they have no competition.
That doesn't impress me that they win. Until the recruits in the top 50 are difference makers and the talent is more deep the sport isn't that competitive.

Congrats to their streak but the sport is devoid of talent that one team can win 100 games in a row.
That team is well coached and plays really good but they have no competition.
That doesn't impress me that they win. Until the recruits in the top 50 are difference makers and the talent is more deep the sport isn't that competitive.
I'm old enough to remember Wooden's UCLA teams dominate the men's sport in similar fashion and run up a similar winning streak. The worm will eventually turn.

I'm old enough to remember Wooden's UCLA teams dominate the men's sport in similar fashion and run up a similar winning streak. The worm will eventually turn.
Those UCLa teams cheated.
Sam Gilbert.
Also the PAC-8 was a weak conference thus it was easy to dominate. UCLA also was full of NBA HOF talent. Kareem, Walton, Jammal Wilkes, Gail Goodrich, Henry Bibby, Sydney Wicks, Curtis Rowe.
Those teams cheated.

Dynasties are interesting when a team has worthy foils. The 90s Bulls were in seriously competitive series with the Suns, Sonics and Jazz. Winning felt like a major accomplishment, not a foregone conclusion.

What UConn has done is amazing. No one should diminish it. But as a sports fan it's not terribly interesting. To me, anyway.

The average margin of victory is 39.6 PPG.
That is unbelievable.
They have over 9 wins by over 60 PPG.
Their isn't competition.
During UCLA's streak the PPG margin was 12.2.

Those UCLa teams cheated.
Sam Gilbert.
Also the PAC-8 was a weak conference thus it was easy to dominate. UCLA also was full of NBA HOF talent. Kareem, Walton, Jammal Wilkes, Gail Goodrich, Henry Bibby, Sydney Wicks, Curtis Rowe.
Those teams cheated.
I'll be sure to check out the HoF plaques of Bibby, Rowe and Wicks the next time I'm there.

The average margin of victory is 39.6 PPG.
That is unbelievable.
They have over 9 wins by over 60 PPG.
Their isn't competition.
During UCLA's streak the PPG margin was 12.2.

Exactly UCLA was before my time, But it seemed like there was at least the thought that they could lose during their streak.

You suggested they were NBA HoFers. They were not.

Much of UCLA's success and dominance during that period can be attributed to Alcindor and Walton.
UCLA success can be traced to Kareem, Walton and Sam Gilbert.

UConn women haven't cheated.

Their is no Elvin Hayes Houston team that can beat UCLA in the regular season. The All-American women player can't overcome the UConn team.

I haven't watched them it all but I have to admit I find it interesting. I think it'll be quite a feat if someone goes 4 years without losing.

Imagine if Kentucky kept top players for 4 years. The women's game thus UConn women don't lose their top talent - they don't have "one and done" players. UConn's exceptional recruits become exceptional teams and players develop over 4 years. The WNBA's low salaries don't encourage a push to leave college, so getting a degree, getting drafted in the WNBA for publicity but playing overseas for the better money is the women's goal.

It will. A couple top kids will go to their local university, and others will follow.

Up until seven or eight years ago, some top high school girls went to UConn, thinking they'd crack the line up by the time they were juniors. That hasn't been the case for a few years - many of the top kids have gone to Connecticut, and the freshman on the bench have pretty much stayed on the bench for four years.

Those kids will soon go elsewhere, and a good number will help their teams compete. Ironically, UConn's success will convince some very talented girls that they need to go elsewhere to get playing time. If enough go to the same school, that'll likely be the next team to beat.

If it's not a UConn, I'd love to see Syracuse at the top, and they seem to be inching their way up the rankings.

Last edited:
Imagine if Kentucky kept top players for 4 years. The women's game thus UConn women don't lose their top talent - they don't have "one and done" players. UConn's exceptional recruits become exceptional teams and players develop over 4 years. The WNBA's low salaries don't encourage a push to leave college, so getting a degree, getting drafted in the WNBA for publicity but playing overseas for the better money is the women's goal.

I think people definitely need to give Geno props. To win anything competitively for 100 straight times is an amazing accomplishment whether it's women's basketball or tiddlywinks. He has won 10 NC's since 2000. I don't get why good players want to go to Yukon and sit the bench but they do on a regular basis.

No one can play 15 players and they all be happy. Share the wealth. My wife's cousin is an assistant coach at a high major and even though the men's program is an elite program her women's program suffers. The top programs are able to keep recruiting, and stockpiling, the top players.

Because of this Q doesn't get as much props as he deserves. It's not easy to break into the upper echelon but what they did last year was amazing. There are only a handful of schools that have been to the championship game and Syracuse is one of them.

Geno is known as a bully but his record stands for itself. Not many people like him but he keeps winning. I've always felt that if I was a young coach I would do an in depth study of a Geno or a Bill Belichick or even a Boeheim to see what has made them so successful for so long. It's definitely not easy to get to that level, and it's even harder to maintain for as long as these guys have.

Meh. It's not a competitive sport in the true sense of the word. The difference between UConn and the #2 team in the country is as great as the difference between #2 and #50 (which is huge). So I find it very hard to get excited about these gaudy win streaks and winning margins. I find it even harder to get interested in all the service paid to Geno and Uconn in general. If Uconn had no permanent head coach and was just coached by one of the parents of the players each year, they'd probably be 95-5 in the last 100.

I'm sure there is some group of kids out there that has won 200 wiffleball games in a row in their neighborhood. Nobody cares and and nobody is crowning them or their coach (if they have one) as a messiah of sports. Especially if said wiffleball team grabbed the best kids from across the nation and then showed up to the local park in Podunk City, and beat down all the local mopes who didn't even really take the thing seriously to begin with. It is much ado about very very little.

Meh. It's not a competitive sport in the true sense of the word. The difference between UConn and the #2 team in the country is as great as the difference between #2 and #50 (which is huge). So I find it very hard to get excited about these gaudy win streaks and winning margins. I find it even harder to get interested in all the service paid to Geno and Uconn in general. If Uconn had no permanent head coach and was just coached by one of the parents of the players each year, they'd probably be 95-5 in the last 100.

I'm sure there is some group of kids out there that has won 200 wiffleball games in a row in their neighborhood. Nobody cares and and nobody is crowning them or their coach (if they have one) as a messiah of sports. Especially if said wiffleball team grabbed the best kids from across the nation and then showed up to the local park in Podunk City, and beat down all the local mopes who didn't even really take the thing seriously to begin with. It is much ado about very very little.
I think you are minimizing the achievement. It's a lot different than wiffleball. And these girls do take it very serious. That being said, it's true that almost anyone could have led Breanna Stewart and her teammates to four straight NC's. I couldn't even tell you if Geno is a good coach or not but he is definitely a great recruiter. Like him or not, and most people don't like him, at least acknowledge his streak. He is the first one to do it. That, in itself, stands for something.

EDIT: Actually he's not the first. OCC won 107 straight LAX games and Cael Sanderson won 159 straight collegiate wrestling matches. Still does not diminish what Geno accomplished.

Last edited:
UConn has been a 95% favorite in 96
of the 100 wins.
The only times below 95%.
4 years ago against Notre Dame in the Final Four
3 years ago in the NC game against Notre Dame
2 year ago against Notre Dame
This year at Notre Dame.

That is crazy when UConn plays everyone in the nonconference schedule. The fact they are 95%+ favorite against top 10 teams on the road speaks volumes to their dominance.

UConn has been a 95% favorite in 96
of the 100 wins.
The only times below 95%.
4 years ago against Notre Dame in the Final Four
3 years ago in the NC game against Notre Dame
2 year ago against Notre Dame
This year at Notre Dame.

That is crazy when UConn plays everyone in the nonconference schedule. The fact they are 95%+ favorite against top 10 teams on the road speaks volumes to their dominance.

Of course it's crazy, but what's their record against the spread?

Its a great accomplishment, but no, no one gives a crap about women's bball.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom