Uconn | Syracusefan.com

Uconn

Lets take a minute to laugh at our friends in Storrs, losing to 0-3 E Carolina in front of 17 fans.

Hey but Buttgers scored 17 against Nebraska...

let's also pile on. ECU has won 2 of their last 14 games. both against Yukon. I guess you could say that Yukon has improved, because they went from a 41-3 drubbing last season to a 41-38 drubbing at home today, which ended with a furious comeback capped by a missed field goal at the buzzer to tie it. they have given up over 1600 yards to holy cross, Virginia, and ecu. yikes.

A program that was better off in FCS. Besides that one year they ended up in a BCS game, this has been a futile venture.

Their defense is baaaad. The talent level left behind by Diaco is shitacular.

And isn't Diaco the defensive coordinator and Nebraska now? Look at how bad they are this year. How the hell does that guy still have a job as a coach?

And isn't Diaco the defensive coordinator and Nebraska now? Look at how bad they are this year. How the hell does that guy still have a job as a coach?
The ND board had no problems seeing him leave the ND DC job to being the coach at UConn.

Their fans are trying to be excited that they rallied in the 2nd half at home against AAC doirmat ECU and lost.

Ww're trying to be excited that we rallied in the 2nd half against LSU in Death Valley and lost.

I'll take our rationalization.

That would explain the 'civil coNflIct'

(I joke, but Nebraska vs Illinois actually makes more sense than UConn vs UCF)

UConn might never recover from hiring Pasqualoni. It was an egregious error, they had a very narrow window after Edsall’s departure to hire a dynamic coach who could implement a unique system and recruit for it. I have all the respect in the world for what P did at SU, but he was th completely wrong hire at that moment in time for UConn. It very well might have cost them a shot at the ACC, and it set back their program years.

UConn might never recover from hiring Pasqualoni. It was an egregious error, they had a very narrow window after Edsall’s departure to hire a dynamic coach who could implement a unique system and recruit for it. I have all the respect in the world for what P did at SU, but he was th completely wrong hire at that moment in time for UConn. It very well might have cost them a shot at the ACC, and it set back their program years.
Florida State and Clemson cost them a shot at the ACC.
Them plus leading that stupid lawsuit.

The football schools cashed in their political capital to prevent another basketball first school being invited.

The ACC really upgraded football with Louisville over Maryland.
Hoops are a wash as well.

Your point though is right P killed that program. I mean I don't seem them becoming a top tier American football program.

Florida State and Clemson cost them a shot at the ACC.
Them plus leading that stupid lawsuit.

The football schools cashed in their political capital to prevent another basketball first school being invited.

The ACC really upgraded football with Louisville over Maryland.
Hoops are a wash as well.

Your point though is right P killed that program. I mean I don't seem them becoming a top tier American football program.

True, that's how it played out given the realities in the fall of 2012, where UConn was quickly failing in football and Lousiville was emerging to be a top 25 program.

I'm just suggesting that in an alternate universe where UConn hired a much better replacement for Edsall after their Fiesta Bowl appearance in 2010, and UConn had become a top 15-25 program, taking advantage of being in a weak Big East, that the end result might have been different.

I mean, maybe not, I totally concede that. But in the fall of 2012 Louisville was just starting their turnaround under Strong after having been lousy for several years post-Petrino. And they did not offer as attractive academics (which college Presidents do care about superficially) or market (Hartford/New Haven offers more cable homes than Louisville plus Fairfield County which is in the New York market).

Look, the ACC probably still would've gone with Louisville. But UConn made their decision easy because they let their football program slink right back to being lousy after Edsall's departure. They had a slim chance and hiring P torpedoed that.

True, that's how it played out given the realities in the fall of 2012, where UConn was quickly failing in football and Lousiville was emerging to be a top 25 program.

I'm just suggesting that in an alternate universe where UConn hired a much better replacement for Edsall after their Fiesta Bowl appearance in 2010, and UConn had become a top 15-25 program, taking advantage of being in a weak Big East, that the end result might have been different.

I mean, maybe not, I totally concede that. But in the fall of 2012 Louisville was just starting their turnaround under Strong after having been lousy for several years post-Petrino. And they did not offer as attractive academics (which college Presidents do care about superficially) or market (Hartford/New Haven offers more cable homes than Louisville plus Fairfield County which is in the New York market).

Look, the ACC probably still would've gone with Louisville. But UConn made their decision easy because they let their football program slink right back to being lousy after Edsall's departure. They had a slim chance and hiring P torpedoed that.
I don't disagree w/ your conclusion that UConn didn't do themselves any favors by driving off a cliff.

Buuuuuut in true internet fashion, I'm going to nitpick a minor point: Clemson isn't a top 10-15 program.

USC, Texas, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, FSU, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Penn State, Michigan State (possibly), Wisconsin (possibly), Miami (possibly), Nebraska (possibly), and Texas A&M (possibly) are all better programs.

**Most of the 'possibly' picks depend on how you define 'program' (i.e. how much you weight history, future title success, etc.)

There's no way UConn could have turned into a top 10-15 program within a couple of years.

I don't disagree w/ your conclusion that UConn didn't do themselves any favors by driving off a cliff.

Buuuuuut in true internet fashion, I'm going to nitpick a minor point: Clemson isn't a top 10-15 program.

USC, Texas, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Ohio State, Michigan, FSU, Tennessee, Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Penn State, Michigan State (possibly), Wisconsin (possibly), Miami (possibly), Nebraska (possibly), and Texas A&M (possibly) are all better programs.

**Most of the 'possibly' picks depend on how you define 'program' (i.e. how much you weight history, future title success, etc.)

There's no way UConn could have turned into a top 10-15 program within a couple of years.

They aren't? They have been to back to back national titles games, and have as good a chance as anyone to get back there again this year.

Read The Fierce Letter/Rant This Hedge Fund Manager Wrote To UCONN's Athletic Director

I didn't mention Clemson. I said top 15-25 for UConn. I agree it was fanciful.

And if you want to do some kind of longitudinal historical ranking, Louisville ain't top 25 either.

I didn't mention Clemson. I said top 15-25 for UConn. I agree it was fanciful.

And if you want to do some kind of longitudinal historical ranking, Louisville ain't top 25 either.
I meant to say "not even Clemson," which was meant to imply that there was no hope for UConn if Clemson, a program that's generally accepted as being way better, couldn't do it.

And you're right. I have no idea why I thought you said 10-15 and not 15-25.

They aren't? They have been to back to back national titles games, and have as good a chance as anyone to get back there again this year.
You're describing teams, not a program.

Don't get me wrong, Clemson has a great program, but it isn't as strong as programs at schools like Michigan, Ohio State, FSU, etc., even if they've had a better last couple of years.

You're describing teams, not a program.

Don't get me wrong, Clemson has a great program, but it isn't as strong as programs at schools like Michigan, Ohio State, FSU, etc., even if they've had a better last couple of years.

Is Oregon a good program?

I meant to say "not even Clemson," which was meant to imply that there was no hope for UConn if Clemson, a program that's generally accepted as being way better, couldn't do it.

And you're right. I have no idea why I thought you said 10-15 and not 15-25.

One thing I learned throughout the conference expansion madness was that it was incredibly reactionary. Look no further than what the B12 did by inviting West Virginia over Louisville. That made zero sense on just about every level, but at that specific moment in time when the music stopped and a chair had to be sat in, WVU was ranked in the top 10 and UL was in year 4 of their post-Petrino malaise. So the B12 passed on a school that was dying to join, was investing heavily in athletics, and was 400 miles closer to the conference center, because WVU was more of a "football school" for 6 weeks that fall.

Point being that while I don't disagree with your assessment of programs historically, there was a lot of real-time decision making that either didn't take that into account, or was using completely different criteria (see: B1G adding Rutgers and Maryland).

I know my alternate universe scenario for UConn is a total stretch, at best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom