Uconn | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Uconn

Which shows you how stupid they are.

Diacco can recruit NJ, PA, OH and the like.

Nobody wants to go to storz...duh, and I doubt the kids he could get for N are going that far when they have closer options with a higher winning probability.

Being a HC might've been too much for him anyway.

I realize Dino has 'his guys' but a guy like Diaco would kill it here if we start winning 7 or 8.
Was Diacco a good recruiter at UConn? I thought that their classes were in the 80's (or worse). I'm not sure that's an upgrade over what we already have. And I don't know enough about Diacco to know if he was an especially great D.C.

How do you go from mediocre to name brand? Sustained success + Money
How do you from name brand to mediocre? It's much harder to fall out of the elite club than to get into it. Clemson is on it's way. Texas is fine - since the money and fans aren't going anywhere. But give me Clemson success over the past 10 years over Texas any day of the week.

The problem Uconn has is they will never catch up on money, unless a miracle happens and they get invited to a P5. Without that $ and sustained success is impossible. We face the sustained success problem and have a money problem - but it's not even close to as severe as a team outside of the P5.
Agree that it's harder to fall out.

Agree that Clemson has been better for a decade.

Disagree that Clemson's last decade puts them above Texas as a program.

Agree that UConn has no shot of ever being elite in football, nor did they ever.

OT:. Funny I have banner ads showing up here for buying into condos next to Bama's Football stadium. Condos start at about a half million and go up towards 2 million. Insane you would pay that to be able to live next to a football stadium.
It's great that it's in Alabama, too.

That $2 mm unit might legitimately be the most expensive condo in the state.

Since 2010 Clemson is 80-13 that is nothing like Rutgers at all.

Clemson is a top 10 program.

They sellout their stadium no matter their record.

They have the cool entrance that has been known for a while.

They aren't Virginia Tech with Vick which would have been the way better comparison. Clemson has sustained it.

They are a top 10 brand nationally.

They have always had the talent and players in the NFL now they are sustaining excellence.
It's exactly like Rutgers. You're picking an arbitrary and small sample size and extrapolating that to the entire program.

A number of RU fans that I interacted w/ extrapolated a #6 2007 finish to their entire program and concluded that they were elite. In doing so, they ignored their future prospects and their past achievements (or lack thereof).

Nothing in Clemson's history or existing infrastructure indicates that they are going to eclipse Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Notre Dame, FSU, Florida, Oklahoma, USC, or even the likes of LSU, Georgia, or Auburn.

Yeah, I get that they've had a great last couple of years. Texas was phenomenal the 10 years before that. Pretending like schools don't ebb and flow is crazy.

We had a better 90's that either Clemson or USC. Would you say that we had a better program in 2000?

**And to be clear, I'm not saying that Clemson isn't good. They are. In fact, they've been quite good, and they'll continue to be quite good for the foreseeable future. They're just not better than schools like Alabama.**

Agree that it's harder to fall out.

Agree that Clemson has been better for a decade.

Disagree that Clemson's last decade puts them above Texas as a program.

Agree that UConn has no shot of ever being elite in football, nor did they ever.

I didn’t say that they are ahead - just that Clemson fans are having more fun over the last ten years by a wide margin.

It's exactly like Rutgers. You're picking an arbitrary and small sample size and extrapolating that to the entire program.

A number of RU fans that I interacted w/ extrapolated a #6 2007 finish to their entire program and concluded that they were elite. In doing so, they ignored their future prospects and their past achievements (or lack thereof).

Nothing in Clemson's history or existing infrastructure indicates that they are going to eclipse Alabama, Michigan, Ohio State, Texas, Notre Dame, FSU, Florida, Oklahoma, USC, or even the likes of LSU, Georgia, or Auburn.

Yeah, I get that they've had a great last couple of years. Texas was phenomenal the 10 years before that. Pretending like schools don't ebb and flow is crazy.

We had a better 90's that either Clemson or USC. Would you say that we had a better program in 2000?

**And to be clear, I'm not saying that Clemson isn't good. They are. In fact, they've been quite good, and they'll continue to be quite good for the foreseeable future. They're just not better than schools like Alabama.**

Their existing infrastructure is built to eclipse some of those schools - and if the keep making the playoff - they will.

I didn’t say that they are ahead - just that Clemson fans are having more fun over the last ten years by a wide margin.
I figured that it was implied, but I guess I read too much into what you wrote.

Such is life in an internet age. Cheers!

Their existing infrastructure is built to eclipse some of those schools - and if the keep making the playoff - they will.
It's not even remotely close to those schools. Over half of the top 10 has entire conferences built around their football program.

Look at Texas. The entire Big XII exists to further Texas football (look how much it bends to Texas' wishes, and Texas' wishes are very clearly driven by their football program). And that's not taking into account the hundreds of millions of dollars that the program makes (and would therefore be prepared to spend if it had to) each year. And that's not taking into account that Texas could easily have the most talented team in the country w/o visiting another state...or even a huge chunk of their own state.

Similar arguments can be made for Alabama, who runs the SEC, Ohio State and Michigan, who run the B1G, and Notre Dame, who has gotten special treatment from virtually everyone for DECADES.

Those are the obvious examples, but the same is true for the next level down (look how dominant Florida has been in the SEC since the conference started sponsoring a title in 1992 - that kind of lasting success that spans eras, ups and downs, and coaching changes shows the program's strength).

IPTAY and Clemson's new football palace are both nice and a good step in the right direction, but there is much, much more that goes into the equation.

And to be clear, Clemson has a very strong program with a bright future and a great history, but they aren't top 15.

Last edited:
It's not even remotely close to those schools. Over half of the top 10 has entire conferences built around their football program.

Look at Texas. The entire Big XII exists to further Texas football (look how much it bends to Texas' wishes, and Texas' wishes are very clearly driven by their football program). And that's not taking into account the hundreds of millions of dollars that the program makes (and would therefore be prepared to spend if it had to) each year. And that's not taking into account that Texas could easily have the most talented team in the country w/o visiting another state...or even a huge chunk of their own state.

Similar arguments can be made for Alabama, who runs the SEC, Ohio State and Michigan, who run the B1G, and Notre Dame, who has gotten special treatment from virtually everyone for DECADES.

Those are the obvious examples, but the same is true for the next level down (look how dominant Florida has been in the SEC since the conference started sponsoring a title in 1992 - that kind of lasting success that spans eras, ups and downs, and coaching changes shows the program's strength).

IPTAY and Clemson's new football palace are both nice and a good step in the right direction, but there is much, much more that goes into the equation.

And to be clear, Clemson has a very strong program with a bright future and a great history, but they aren't top 15.

Lots of good points in there.

I thought we were talking about elite programs in that they have consistent success on the field, top of the line facilities, and deep pockets. Clemson is certainly building to that.

That’s the view from the plane. I’d bet if you polled 18 year old kids what their elite program list looked like, Clemson would be in the top 5.

OT:. Funny I have banner ads showing up here for buying into condos next to Bama's Football stadium. Condos start at about a half million and go up towards 2 million. Insane you would pay that to be able to live next to a football stadium.

Pretty sure those are marketed to rich alumni for game weekends.

Pretty sure those are marketed to rich alumni for game weekends.
Agreed... just found it ironic they showed up at Syracusefan. A whole nother world down South at the Football factories. Cuse fans cry over a few hundred dollar seat and parking premiums and Bama fans will spend ten to hundred times that and not flinch.

Agreed... just found it ironic they showed up at Syracusefan. A whole nother world down South at the Football factories. Cuse fans cry over a few hundred dollar seat and parking premiums and Bama fans will spend ten to hundred times that and not flinch.
And live in shacks and drive 30 year old Ford F-150s with a tarp liner in the back to make a Jack-uzzi. Just because they do it, doesn't mean it's right.

And live in shacks and drive 30 year old Ford -150s with a tarp liner in the back to make a Jack-uzzi. Just because they do it, doesn't mean it's right.
What? Love these drive by attacks

Did I say it was right?

You realize the folks buying these are not shack dwellers. They might be driving pick up trucks but they cost $70k

What? Love these drive by attacks

Did I say it was right?

You realize the folks buying these are not shack dwellers. They might be driving pick up trucks but they cost $70k

Oh boy, I wasn't trying to start an argument or a 'drive-by' attempt either. I was simply poking fun at the 'Roll Tide' mentality down there. They will sell their damn children for a crimson headband. I meant my reply more as a sidebar. Kickoff's in 24, just an attempt at humor to ease some tension.

Oh boy, I wasn't trying to start an argument or a 'drive-by' attempt either. I was simply poking fun at the 'Roll Tide' mentality down there. They will sell their damn children for a crimson headband. I meant my reply more as a sidebar. Kickoff's in 24, just an attempt at humor to ease some tension.
No worries, just got done viewing the OT Board LOL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom