UCONN | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

UCONN

RF2044 said:
Being in the ACC grants us access to financial resources that uconn doesn't have. So, from that standpoint we are in a superior position. Our issue is related to the current roster / scholarship limitations. Once that is unshackled, I wouldn't trade our position for theirs. Like I said, I see them being a solid top 20 team. But there's a big difference between that and NC contention. And yes, I think that MOST teams are NOT title contenders.

When UConn needs money, the state steps in.

They have basketball and football facilities that are as good if not better than SU's.

We need to start using our ACC resources to actually start paying our football coaches.

I just wasn't impressed. They were held to 3 points for almost 3 quarters against a mediocre UConn team.

An unbeaten, ranked team shouldn't struggle against UConn.
You know the Houston QB got hurt last week against Memphis right?

Also a Texas team playing in the Northeast over 1,500 miles from campus isn't easy. UConn's D has been solid all year long. Diaco has coached them up. I don't think Houston losing this game was that shocking.

Killing Houston for that is just not fair. They lost a trap game. This week meant nothing to Houston. They needed to beat Navy no matter to reach the American title game.

They have basketball and football facilities that are as good if not better than SU's.

We need to start using our ACC resources to actually start paying our football coaches.

Agreed. And when that happens, we'll be happy that we have those resources to expend, versus being in a lesser conference where said financial resources aren't available.

Gross pimped out home games in several consecutive years for a payday, because that influx of cash was needed to run overall AD administration. We aren't in that position anymore. Uconn doesn't have access to the same financial resources in the AAC that we have in the ACC. So in the big scheme of things, I'd rather be in our shoes than theirs.

Which takes nothing away from their big win today.

When UConn needs money the state steps in? Maybe for education, research grants, but not for athletics.

Are you Robert Burton? I mean c'mon those facilities were built with private donations.

We s have sucked the last 2 years and any real HC prospect would take the SU FB job over the UConn FB job.

once again, it's about money and exposure. Playing in that crap league, they will get less and less. It doesn't happen over night. It's a slow decent in to hell.

Like Gonzaga's slow descent into hell?

Like Gonzaga's slow descent into hell?

They didn't "descend," they've overcome the small conference issue. And even so, haven't been a legitimate contender.

They didn't "descend," they've overcome the small conference issue. And even so, haven't been a legitimate contender.

You've yet to define what it means to be a legitimate contender. All we know is losing in the elite 8 to the eventual winners does not meet your criteria.

You've yet to define what it means to be a legitimate contender. All we know is losing in the elite 8 to the eventual winners does not meet your criteria.

Did you watch them lose their NCAA game last year? If so, you might understand my definition.

And I'm not trying to be argumentative, Poppy. I think Gonzaga is the blueprint for a midmajor who overachieves and bucks the major conference advantages. But let's not overstate who they are or what they've achieved. Very good team that wins more games than they would in a major conference due to RELATIVELY lesser competition.

It was a nice win. Not knocking it. But is Houston #19 if they're in a real conference? No. That's my point. And that they lost to uconn confirms it

Ya and when they played with their starting QB they beat the same Louisville team that pounded us, so what's the point?

Did you watch them lose their NCAA game last year? If so, you might understand my definition.

And I'm not trying to be argumentative, Poppy. I think Gonzaga is the blueprint for a midmajor who overachieves and bucks the major conference advantages. But let's not overstate who they are or what they've achieved. Very good team that wins more games than they would in a major conference due to RELATIVELY lesser competition.

I'm sure I watched the majority of the Duke game, but nothing really stands out in my memory.

Of course SOS will be lower, but the committee is supposed to account for that.

Are there people actually arguing that $16M a year will not prove to be more advantageous than $3M a year?

Is this because of poor management? Didn't we just hire a new AD with a proven track-record in a $3M--a-year type place?
Are we that myopic to think that last year's hoops team and the past 2 years of football aren't the nadir given said influx of cash and said AD?

Phillymoose said:
Are there people actually arguing that $16M a year will not prove to be more advantageous than $3M a year? Is this because of poor management? Didn't we just hire a new AD with a proven track-record in a $3M--a-year type place? Are we that myopic to think that last year's hoops team and the past 2 years of football aren't the nadir given said influx of cash and said AD?

Losses cloud judgement. And alcohol.

In terms of recruiting, I think you are wrong. What is our class of 2016 rated? We're doing fine on that front.

Man, if you think Syracuse's 2016 class is good, you will really be impressed when you see what Ollie's done for 2016.

Man, if you think Syracuse's 2016 class is good, you will really be impressed when you see what Ollie's done for 2016.

No I won't. Because I recognize that you are delusional rabble rousers who lack perspective.

Tyus Battle and Matt Moyer say hello.

Christ, give the pups some credit. They just beat a legitimate top-25 team and people act like its no big deal.

If Shafer beat Houston this year there would people claiming he's the One! When was Syracuse's last win that was this good? Four or five years ago?

upload_2015-11-22_17-57-50.jpeg

Ya and when they played with their starting QB they beat the same Louisville team that pounded us, so what's the point?
Good for them beating Lville what an accomplishment. Put them in the acc and they arent 10-0 and ranked # 19. thats my point.

You know the Houston QB got hurt last week against Memphis right?

Also a Texas team playing in the Northeast over 1,500 miles from campus isn't easy. UConn's D has been solid all year long. Diaco has coached them up. I don't think Houston losing this game was that shocking.

Killing Houston for that is just not fair. They lost a trap game. This week meant nothing to Houston. They needed to beat Navy no matter to reach the American title game.
Didn't the school just offer $3M to keep their coach from bolting? Is any guy worth that much who can't muster a win against freaking UCONN, regardless of circumstances? We had darn well better not offer him that much if it comes to it.

Didn't the school just offer $3M to keep their coach from bolting? Is any guy worth that much who can't muster a win against freaking UCONN, regardless of circumstances? We had darn well better not offer him that much if it comes to it.
So losing one game to UConn means more than winning the first 10 games. C'mon man. It was a bad loss but Houston still controls its own destiny for a NYS bowl. If they beat Navy this week at home they host the American Title game.

So losing one game to UConn means more than winning the first 10 games. C'mon man. It was a bad loss but Houston still controls its own destiny for a NYS bowl. If they beat Navy this week at home they host the American Title game.
UConn is bad, Houston is bad. they are all bad, its just that they only play other teams that are bad. we have three losses to teams that are all better than any of the games any of those teams played against for the whole season. benefits and drawbacks.

If uconn consistently wins 8 games and goes to bowl games(however minor) and we consistently win three games a year, I'm not going to give a sh/t what conference were in.

And give it a rest w basketball. We've been collectively throwing dirt on that program for ten years. But this this time it's different tho!

docsu said:
If uconn consistently wins 8 games and goes to bowl games(however minor) and we consistently win three games a year, I'm not going to give a sh/t what conference were in. And give it a rest w basketball. We've been collectively throwing dirt on that program for ten years. But this this time it's different tho!

No one is shooting for 3 win seasons - that's why we are starting a HC search. We are the better job in both sports, due solely on our conference affiliation and $$.

They've done well with what they have, kudos to them. But I wouldn't switch positions with them moving fwd.

No one is shooting for 3 win seasons - that's why we are starting a HC search. We are the better job in both sports, due solely on our conference affiliation and $$.

They've done well with what they have, kudos to them. But I wouldn't switch positions with them moving fwd.

Yeah, were in a better position to get this fixed...but if we don't I'm not going to take much solace in going 3-9/4-8 ...but in a better conference!

UConn FB is nothing. It will never be anything. Syracuse/BC have history UConn will never attain and Rutgers has the better HS recruiting ground.

The Northeast doesn't have a lot of talent thus conference affiliation matters. The difference between BC/SU and UConn is that BC/SU are at the bottom of the conference right now while UConn has 3-5 teams below them. Thus by scheduling 2 easy OOC games a year, beating those dregs in their own conference they only need 1 upset or peer school win to get to a bowl.

Syracuse/BC need to schedule 3 OOC wins, beat one another and then beat 2-3 peer school or upsets to get to a bowl.

Recruits outside of CT will not pick a G6 school like UConn over a P5 school like BC/SU. They will get instate kids but their FB program is enhanced MAC program while RU/BC/SU because of their schedules have way more potential.

Nobody should say anything about their BB program. They could be in the Patriot League and its still elite. As teams will always play them in OOC. We can't talk smack about their BB we can bust balls but they will be fine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom