Umass may not be playing football much longer | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Umass may not be playing football much longer

Oh look, several posts by Alsacs ranking on the Globe. Color me shocked. ;)

Everything Shaughnessy said is exactly correct. Obviously UMass can do what they want. But Shaughnessy is on point here - especially about UMass spending my money on a pipe dream. Sheesh, I live in NJ and Rutgers pi$$es my money away on football, then I move to MA and UMass does the same thing. States should pay me NOT to move there.

Everything Shaughnessy said is exactly correct. Obviously UMass can do what they want. But Shaughnessy is on point here - especially about UMass spending my money on a pipe dream. Sheesh, I live in NJ and Rutgers pi$$es my money away on football, then I move to MA and UMass does the same thing. States should pay me NOT to move there.
The Globe is the worst sports page in the country for local fans and it’s not even close.
They are pathetic. Just because Robert Kraft didn’t invite Shank to a breakfast in 1994 He has had an agenda against the team.
Ben Volin is an embarrassment to an NFL beat writer.
The next column that Tara Sullivan writes that is interesting and discussed will be the first.
Pete Abraham is such a stooge for the Red Sox it’s not worth discussing. Nobody likes Pete Abraham the fans, the media.

The Boston Globe sports coverage is terrible. John Henry has ruined that newspaper.

This was actually published.

The agenda the Globe has against the Patriots and towards the Red Sox is real. Sorry orange79 you aren’t a Boston sports fan it doesn’t bother you. It bothers Boston sports fan who pay attention.

Shank wrote that article so he can go on the Zolak and Bertrand radio program tomorrow and push Bertrand’s buttons because he is a UMass Guy.
This column like all of Shank’s are just recycled from his past. He survives just trolling for attention.

Over half of FBS doesn’t belong in FBS. I really wish they would have a high minimum attendance requirement. And/or create an FBS A and AA, which are both above FCS.

MAC belongs in AA
Only 1 of 12 schools is averaging over 20k and none are over 25k

CUSA belongs in AA
Only 2 of 14 schools are over 25k and none over 30k

Sunbelt belongs in AA
Only 1 of 10 schools is over 25k and none over 30k

MWC at least half belong in AA
Only 3 of 12 are over 30k and none are over 35k. Also 7 of 12 are under 25k.

AAC most teams can stay
7 of 12 are over 30k

Overall the non P5 schools who average over 35k are Cincinnati, Notre Dame, BYU, UCF, and Memphis. That is it.

FBS A should have a 30k per game quota. Currently the only P5s under that number are Washington State, Vanderbilt, and Wake Forest. If there were a quota in place I think Vandy and WSU would make it every year. Wake though would need to be kicked out, which is fine by me. That would leave around 75 schools which comes out to 5 x 15. You can have the 5 champs plus 1 at large in the playoff.
There is an FBS attendance requirement. 15,000. Many MAC teams don't hit this.

I remember Mark Whipple winning a D-1AA NC at UMass. One of my best friends from HS is cousins with Liam Coen who got a title game in FCS with UMass and is actually an offensive quality intern for Sean McVey: UMass was a good FCS football program.

Nobody there cares about football and their is no State State school pride in MA it’s a pro sports area as there are so many colleges around in New England you don’t get nonalum fans like Syracuse and most teams.
UMass should do whatever they want.
The Globe has an agenda against them.
Whenever the Globe writes on a topic I tend to go against them. They are pathetic. I used to be a diehard Red Sox fan the Globe and John Henry have caused me to care less about them.
Shank Shaughnessy is the worst though.
Meh.

The Boston Globe is about as good a news source these days as the NYT. Every story is agenda driven.
I gotta say I agree with you on this one. It's not often but Shank Shaughnessy is the worst. All he does is try to push buttons so he can get paid appearances on NBC Sports Boston or 98.5 radio.

From a purely practical standpoint, one of the factors in our previous run of strong football success (let's call it roughly 1987 to 2001) was the misfortune of our northeastern peers. PSU was always strong, but BC, Pitt, Rutgers and Temple all experienced varying degrees of calamity, and that was good for us. Not only have those programs generally improved, but we've also seen UConn, UMass, and Buffalo add to the recruiting competition. Vanquishing those programs from our competitive set is a good thing, even if it merely nets us 1 or 2 kids that can contribute. Given our historical problems with depth, every possible players counts.
This is spot on and a reasonable take, but Chip's admission about hating everyone also resonates with me.

The Globe is the worst sports page in the country for local fans and it’s not even close.
They are pathetic. Just because Robert Kraft didn’t invite Shank to a breakfast in 1994 He has had an agenda against the team.
The next column that Tara Sullivan writes that is interesting and discussed will be the first.
Pete Abraham is such a stooge for the Red Sox it’s not worth discussing. Nobody likes Pete Abraham the fans, the media.

The Boston Globe sports coverage is terrible. John Henry has ruined that newspaper.

The agenda the Globe has against the Patriots and towards the Red Sox is real. Sorry orange79 you aren’t a Boston sports fan it doesn’t bother you. It bothers Boston sports fan who pay attention.
To be fair, I think most Boston media would prefer to write negative articles. When hired, Bellichick was "Duplicitous pond scum", a "horrible human being" for not giving reporters stories to write about. Was sarcastically called a "Genius" for drafting Richard Seymour, and getting Rodney Harrison. An idiot for playing Brady. There are still those that hold onto anything negative, they can get. (The Globe when possible)

I agree with Alsacs. In this case? Shaughnessy, too. UMass players deserve better than their current situation.

We both know they wont talk about College football for more than 30 seconds on the radio, though... lol

To be fair, I think most Boston media would prefer to write negative articles. When hired, Bellichick was "Duplicitous pond scum", a "horrible human being" for not giving reporters stories to write about. Was sarcastically called a "Genius" for drafting Richard Seymour, and getting Rodney Harrison. An idiot for playing Brady. There are still those that hold onto anything negative, they can get. (The Globe when possible)

I agree with Alsacs. In this case? Shaughnessy, too. UMass players deserve better than their current situation.
I didn’t even bring up Ron Borges or Kevin Mannix.

The Globe is all agenda now. The owner hates the region has gone from Red Sox first to Patriots first. They are the worst.

Over half of FBS doesn’t belong in FBS. I really wish they would have a high minimum attendance requirement. And/or create an FBS A and AA, which are both above FCS.

MAC belongs in AA
Only 1 of 12 schools is averaging over 20k and none are over 25k

CUSA belongs in AA
Only 2 of 14 schools are over 25k and none over 30k

Sunbelt belongs in AA
Only 1 of 10 schools is over 25k and none over 30k

MWC at least half belong in AA
Only 3 of 12 are over 30k and none are over 35k. Also 7 of 12 are under 25k.

AAC most teams can stay
7 of 12 are over 30k

Overall the non P5 schools who average over 35k are Cincinnati, Notre Dame, BYU, UCF, and Memphis. That is it.

FBS A should have a 30k per game quota. Currently the only P5s under that number are Washington State, Vanderbilt, and Wake Forest. If there were a quota in place I think Vandy and WSU would make it every year. Wake though would need to be kicked out, which is fine by me. That would leave around 75 schools which comes out to 5 x 15. You can have the 5 champs plus 1 at large in the playoff.

I think a majority of the schools that don’t meet the high standard for attendance would just drop football. I think that includes Syracuse.

I went to school in Boston, worked at the Globe sports department and I’m a Red Sox and Bruins fan.

The Globe is one of the best sports sections in the country. Abraham is not a stooge. He writers a lot pierces critical of the team, and that’s not easy to do as a beat writer.

Dan was right about UMass. i hate to bring down regional programs, but UMass needs to go it right. Start by building a stadium suited for a major college program.

I went to school in Boston, worked at the Globe sports department and I’m a Red Sox and Bruins fan.

The Globe is one of the best sports sections in the country. Abraham is not a stooge. He writers a lot pierces critical of the team, and that’s not easy to do as a beat writer.

Dan was right about UMass. i hate to bring down regional programs, but UMass needs to go it right. Start by building a stadium suited for a major college program.
They just put up a practice bubble and invested in a number of upgrades to the McGuirk. This is the current coaches first year and he changed the whole program going to a up-tempo offense. His problem at this point is he is down to 40 healthy scholarship players. He will need a few more recruiting cycles before they have a chance to be good. He is recruiting very good though.

Let's all get back to UMass and not how much the Globe does or doesn't suck. Thanks.

Pete Abe sucks.

The Globe is a joke. You can feel different this is America still.
Patriots fans and most Boston sports fans despise the Globe.
Joe Sullivan ruined the sports page.
You can know them and like them.
Chad Finn is the worst media critic in the nation. He lets his agenda against WEEI and love of Michael Felger influence his coverage.
You know them so you like them.

The Globe used to be good. When Bob Ryan and Jackie Mac covered the Celtics and Nick Carfardo the Red Sox.
I could rail on them all. Kevin Paul Dupont is a joke.

John Henry and Linda Pizzuti have ruined the Globe. Shank Shaughnessy is the worst. He is an obvious troll who hates his audience and talks down to them.

Dan just wants to go on the radio and troll Bertrand.
Did you know about Jim O’Sullivan and Brian McCrory and the intern draft?
Or Kevin Cullen and his fake bull crap.
The Globe used to be a gold standard it’s now an agenda paper.

Folks dont care about College football in Mass. They aren't allowed to talk about it on the radio. One host jokes, "If I was allowed to talk about college football, I'd say..."

Programs closing/dropping down would be more reasonable for the area.

Build a suited stadium?? They pulled 13000 at Gillette for Mississippi State. As little as 6,200 at Gillette freaking stadium.

BC has the same attendance we do, with ten times the people in the area. No one cares.

Folks dont care about College football in Mass. They aren't allowed to talk about it on the radio. One host jokes, "If I was allowed to talk about college football, I'd say..."

Build a suited stadium?? They pulled 13000 at Gillette for Mississippi State. As little as 6,200 at Gillette freaking stadium.

BC has the same attendance we do, with ten times the people in the area. No one cares.
No one in Minnesota cared about the golden gophers for a long, long time. But now the whole state has gopher fever. Do you see how winning affects fan participation?

I realize what attendance has been. But UMass needs to understand that you’re not going to attract good recruits playing in a stadium smaller — and older — than some Texas high schools.

UCLA, USC, Miami and Nortwestern are just a sampling of schools that play in large cities that don’t have a compassion for college football. But that hasn’t prevented them from having success over the years.

Boston College was undefeated and in contention for a National Title in 2007.
They got up to number 2 in the polls and nobody in Massachusetts cared.
It’s a pro sports town.
UMass basketball was good under Calipari and it got a little buzz but not much.
Their football program won’t be relevant in the state but Shank Shaughnessy is a troll and he wrote that to tweek Mark Bertrand for tomorrow.

Pete Abe sucks.

The Globe is a joke. You can feel different this is America still.
Patriots fans and most Boston sports fans despise the Globe.
Joe Sullivan ruined the sports page.
You can know them and like them.
Chad Finn is the worst media critic in the nation. He lets his agenda against WEEI and love of Michael Felger influence his coverage.
You know them so you like them.

The Globe used to be good. When Bob Ryan and Jackie Mac covered the Celtics and Nick Carfardo the Red Sox.
I could rail on them all. Kevin Paul Dupont is a joke.

John Henry and Linda Pizzuti have ruined the Globe. Shank Shaughnessy is the worst. He is an obvious troll who hates his audience and talks down to them.

Dan just wants to go on the radio and troll Bertrand.
Did you know about Jim O’Sullivan and Brian McCrory and the intern draft?
Or Kevin Cullen and his fake bull crap.
The Globe used to be a gold standard it’s now an agenda paper.

You may not like the Globe, but trust me, as a longtime journalist who has seen and read many sports sections across the country, you’re lucky to have it.

You may not like the Globe, but trust me, as a longtime journalist who has seen and read many sports sections across the country, you’re lucky to have it.
Nope. I wish it was gone. Never will appreciate the crap from Joe Sullivan and their garbage Patriots coverage.
Maybe when it was Gammons/Ryan/Carfardo but it’s been a joke since Henry bought it.
When Shank Shaughnessy retires I might buy a paper the next day as a thank you for him being gone.
He ruins enjoying sports. Shank is only liked by media who like each other. I have stories I could say but out of respect for Orange79 I won’t.

Boston College was undefeated and in contention for a National Title in 2007.
They got up to number 2 in the polls and nobody in Massachusetts cared.
It’s a pro sports town.
UMass basketball was good under Calipari and it got a little buzz but not much.
Their football program won’t be relevant in the state but Shank Shaughnessy is a troll and he wrote that to tweek Mark Bertrand for tomorrow.

BC, like Syracuse, is a small private school. If will never have the fan base and attraction that a lot of state schools (not UMass) do.

I’m old enough to remember, quite clearly, how big of a deal it was in the Boston area when Flutie threw the Hail Mary to beat Miami. Hey, maybe because the Patriots sucked then.

Sure, Boston is a pro sports town. But it has more of a college flavor, even from a sports sense, than any other major city in America.

BC, like Syracuse, is a small private school. If will never have the fan base and attraction that a lot of state schools (not UMass) do.

I’m old enough to remember, quite clearly, how big of a deal it was in the Boston area when Flutie threw the Hail Mary to beat Miami. Hey, maybe because the Patriots sucked then.

Sure, Boston is a pro sports town. But it has more of a college flavor, even from a sports sense, than any other major city in America.
College football and basketball don’t matter in Boston.
The biggest college sports event in Boston is the annual Beanpot hockey tournament between Harvard, Northeastern, Boston College, and Boston University.

BC in the ACC football and basketball don’t matter. Syracuse is lucky locals appreciate high quality athletics and Syracuse football and basketball fill that void. Just like SEC football does in the south and other areas with their state school.
UMass won’t get the state local support. Fans won’t drice I-90 West to Amherst and they won’t go to Gillette.

Theres a college around every corner, but that's about it. (35 in Boston, alone. 152000 students)

In 2007, Matt Ryan's BC eagles were ranked as high as #2. (Finished 10) Good enough to sell all 44,000 seats twice. That's it. No one cares.