Umass may not be playing football much longer | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Umass may not be playing football much longer

Why, if the program can sustain itself why do we care how many fans they draw. A couple more seasons like this one and we are headed to FCS under your guidelines.

Have we ever averaged under 30? Dramatic no?

The point is if you limit the teams you can have an all inclusive playoff and have meaningful OOC games. Most of the G5 is glorified FCS. Having them in a new D1AA and the best teams from FCS moving up would create a watchable playoff for that division. If FCS schools can sustain so can G5 at a lower level.

Having 130 FBS teams waters down the OOC for P5 schools. And you will never have a true playoff as the P5 doesn’t want to share and rightfully so with the G5 who most don’t even play the same sport.

Have we ever averaged under 30? Dramatic no?

The point is if you limit the teams you can have an all inclusive playoff and have meaningful OOC games. Most of the G5 is glorified FCS. Having them in a new D1AA and the best teams from FCS moving up would create a watchable playoff for that division. If FCS schools can sustain so can G5 at a lower level.

Having 130 FBS teams waters down the OOC for P5 schools. And you will never have a true playoff as the P5 doesn’t want to share and rightfully so with the G5 who most don’t even play the same sport.
Too me one of the great things about college football is the great diversity in teams and playing styles. If we keep pairing it down some day we will have some super conference with football factories only. No desire to keep shedding lesser programs although it might be where we’re heading.

UMass faculty senators routinely vote to suspend football. Votes to continue:

2016 26-14
2013 19-18 (1 abstain)

With the climate, I can see the recommendation to cancel operations going past the near tie of 2013.

UMass faculty senators routinely vote to suspend football. Votes to continue:

2016 26-14
2013 19-18 (1 abstain)

With the climate, I can see the recommendation to cancel operations going past the near tie of 2013.

It's a funding issue not a competition one as much. The state isn't going to invest in football full stop. They will put lipstick on the pig but it's not working. If Umass had gotten a lifeline to join the now defunct Big East football things may have been different.

The alum really doesn't care, the mass pols don't care and the program will ultimately be cut when the economy sours.

It's good news for Syracuse because we compete w Umass to backfill our roster.

I can't find them. Occasionally they'd be on 38(Raycom), but that's been replaced by ACCN(not carried by Comcast). Working on Saturdays, I've been surprised that they're sometimes only on AM(not WEEIs FM). I know a player on the team, so I look. They're difficult to find.

*This year it looks like 8 games on ACCN. One available for Comcast customers? Accn extra

I understand. I’m a Comcast subscriber as well. But I recently signed up for YouTubeTV, which carries ACCN. It’s not cable, it’s streaming, but it’s TV. Many SEC, PAC and Big10 games are only available via streaming.

It's a funding issue not a competition one as much. The state isn't going to invest in football full stop. They will put lipstick on the pig but it's not working. If Umass had gotten a lifeline to join the now defunct Big East football things may have been different.

The alum really doesn't care, the mass pols don't care and the program will ultimately be cut when the economy sours.

It's good news for Syracuse because we compete w Umass to backfill our roster.

I think they fold(or move down) the same as BU and Northeastern. 78.55% of their athletic budget was subsidized. Football budget went from 3 to 9 million, going from FCS to FBS. Their economy has already soured.

Apparently, when they were FCS, football was a much larger part of the campus experience. For that alone, they should move back down. I didn't realize they were also in the 2006 National Championship game. Sheesh. What a horrible move.

Looks like Dartmouth, New Hampshire, Central Connecticut are all top 25. Why ,not play in a division you can compete in, and your student body enjoyed,?

I think they fold(or move down) the same as BU and Northeastern. 78.55% of their athletic budget was subsidized. Football budget went from 3 to 9 million, going from FCS to FBS. Their economy has already soured.

Apparently, when they were FCS, football was a much larger part of the campus experience. For that alone, they should move back down. I didn't realize they were also in the 2006 National Championship game. Sheesh. What a horrible move.

Looks like Dartmouth, New Hampshire, Central Connecticut are all top 25. Why ,not play in a division you can compete in, and your student body enjoyed,?
UMass has Missouri coming to Amherst as part of a home-and-home. That lone is enough to stay in FBS, it's huge. It also gets schools like Georgia and South Carolina to come play hoops in the Mullins Center as part of deals to go to their places for football.

On top of that there's substantially more money in general. Money is being invested and as I said before the new coaching staff is recruiting at the highest level since the move up.

Sorry to the board as a whole for being stuck on this but the national narrative that UMass needs to move down or dump the program is foolish because it's not even a conversation. I went to a game or two while I was there in the last two years that had comparable student attendance to Cuse this year.

Too me one of the great things about college football is the great diversity in teams and playing styles. If we keep pairing it down some day we will have some super conference with football factories only. No desire to keep shedding lesser programs although it might be where we’re heading.

Wouldn’t you still have that with 80 schools? Do we really need 130? In the last 25 years there have been 24 schools added to FBS. It just watered down the division.

The people who should be Boston College fans have Notre Dame first in their heart. There is nothing that BC can do to change that, If UMASS were ranked no.2, people would be coming out from under rocks all over New England.

The hockey team is going to lead Hockey East in attendance again by a wide margin now they are good.

But this is a bad time to be awful they should be trying for UConn’s spot in the aack being Indy is tough.

The hockey team is going to lead Hockey East in attendance again by a wide margin now they are good.

But this is a bad time to be awful they should be trying for UConn’s spot in the aack being Indy is tough.
It's going to take time, look at the SU program and how difficult that is and UMASS is a bigger lift. Their basketball team looks like has turned a corner in the third year under the new coach. I still don't understand why Syracuse doesn't play them in any sports.

It's going to take time, look at the SU program and how difficult that is and UMASS is a bigger lift. Their basketball team looks like has turned a corner in the third year under the new coach. I still don't understand why Syracuse doesn't play them in any sports.
We don't like to play Big 10 teams out of conference

Wouldn’t you still have that with 80 schools? Do we really need 130? In the last 25 years there have been 24 schools added to FBS. It just watered down the division.

I agree. I like that there is more than the Power 65. But it doesn't have to be double it.

I think UMASS looked pretty good considering the circumstances. I think Walt Bell can coach.

I think UMASS looked pretty good considering the circumstances. I think Walt Bell can coach.
I could probably coach the team to 1-9. Even if 0-10, what's the difference?

They're free to do what they want, but they shouldn't be trying, IMO. I don't like my tax $$$ wasted on a pipe dream.
1574000401002.gif

They're free to do what they want, but they shouldn't be trying, IMO. I don't like my tax $$$ wasted on a pipe dream. View attachment 172956
Nobody likes their tax money going to pipe dreams, but that is what government does and we all have to live with it. UMASS will be in a conference before too long and then your investment will have been for a good cause.

They're free to do what they want, but they shouldn't be trying, IMO. I don't like my tax $$$ wasted on a pipe dream. View attachment 172956

I don't like Connecticut tax $$$ wasted on a pipe dream either. And I am a NY resident. Call me empathetic.

Tax $$$ goes to a lot of things people don’t like.
It’s called Taxachusetts for a reason.

Tax $$$ goes to a lot of things people don’t like.
It’s called Taxachusetts for a reason.
I don't like Connecticut tax $$$ wasted on a pipe dream either. And I am a NY resident. Call me empathetic.
I get it.

I just don't like paying for something that everyone can see is destined to fail.

I get it.

I just don't like paying for something that everyone can see is destined to fail.
Bamford a smart young guy. He got the basketball team turned around with a good hire in Matt McCall. When UMASS football starts winning, you can still jump on the bandwagon along with all the other crusty Massachusetts naysayers.