UNC Game Thread... | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

UNC Game Thread...

I'm not convinced on Howard. I watched Lazarus Sims struggle for three years (BADLY) then lead us to a FF. Howard is a ball player who's had a very bad year. He should be allowed to play (especially given Gillon's pathetic play)...

I'm not seeing it. Just doesn't have the skills. He'd make a good strong safety, though, in football.

I'm not convinced on Howard. I watched Lazarus Sims struggle for three years (BADLY) then lead us to a FF. Howard is a ball player who's had a very bad year. He should be allowed to play (especially given Gillon's pathetic play)...

Sims had a good sense for the game. He saw the court well and could run an offense in the half court. Howard has not shown me he'll ever be able to do that. And that's assuming Howard returns.

I often compared Howard to Sims last year...their freshman year(Sims RS freshman year) numbers were pretty similar.

He's been so bad this year though, that I have a hard time seeing him being ready to do much next year either. He seems to have a really long ways to go. Sims at least showed something at times his Junior year when he got minutes off the bench. He was just stuck behind better players.

Sims had a good sense for the game. He saw the court well and could run an offense in the half court. Howard has not shown me he'll ever be able to do that. And that's assuming Howard returns.

Fair enough. We'll see I guess. We are all Uber frustrated this year...

He's a two...Battle at point is a band aid. You may be absolutely right, but I'm not convinced that Howard can't succeed.

You may be right as well, I've given up on Howard after the things I've heard and seen but he literally may be the most important person on this roster when it comes to the future of the program. That's scary considering everything.

We're not winning next year with Howard at the point.

Not a chance.

We are going absolutely nowhere without a point guard... and we are playing one that can be in Jackson's face on a 3 and still not affect his shot. The other option is one who has shattered confidence, was below average before that, can't shoot...

If we had anyone to move to the 2 / 3 Battle would be our best option at the 1 (not that I think he's a 1, our PG play is that bad).

I agree Howard turning his season around is a better chance than Gillon who just can't play against upper tier ACC teams. I don't really have faith in a Howard turn around though. We can get away with Gillon against small teams when he is able to drain a J and create space... maybe I dunno.

I might have missed this in the thread, but did anyone notice how UNC ran a fast break: The ball handler dribbled down the middle of the court and the trailers would cut towards the basket at the hash marks so that the ball handler could give it up for a layup if the defender picked him up. You know, like how we learned to run a break in 6th grade? Why can't our guys do that?

I might have missed this in the thread, but did anyone notice how UNC ran a fast break: The ball handler dribbled down the middle of the court and the trailers would cut towards the basket at the hash marks so that the ball handler could give it up for a layup if the defender picked him up. You know, like how we learned to run a break in 6th grade? Why can't our guys do that?
Well, if you noticed, we had Gillon and battle in a 2 on 1 and Battle threw it to Gillon who backed it out. He is too small to attack someone at the rim. Later on, we had a 4 on 1 and Gillon tried to throw an oop to White. Once again, didn't go so well. Notice a common denominator here?

Whenever battle had a 1 on 1, he took his guy to the Rack. It's the difference in athletes, nothing more, nothing less.

I often compared Howard to Sims last year...their freshman year(Sims RS freshman year) numbers were pretty similar.

He's been so bad this year though, that I have a hard time seeing him being ready to do much next year either. He seems to have a really long ways to go. Sims at least showed something at times his Junior year when he got minutes off the bench. He was just stuck behind better players.

We have to be in the market for an international or better 5th year transfer for next year. St Marys has recruited way better Aussie/international players as a second level program than anything we have at PG. It's not happening this year but I have a hard time believing just because of recruiting misses we can't find an option for next year anywhere if we get on it.

He's regressed terribly.

Regressed? He wasn't good last year. Just because he ran the ball down the court and made a easy pass look difficult doesn't mean he has "vision".

Look at the numbers, like this year, he wasn't good against the top 100.

I'm starting to get extremely concerned about this program. I just don't know where we're going and if the recruiting keeps on the same downward trend I'm not really sure where we end up.
In Babers we trust. I invite you to the dark side this September. We don't bite. Lower bar.

In Babers we trust. I invite you to the dark side this September. We don't bite. Lower bar.

Oh, I'm a Babliever, love what I see and when we get the horses on defense I think we're in great shape.

Unfortunately I think our football team is trending up just as fast as our basketball team is down. Guess it's not unfortunate but it would be nice to have them both in the top 25 at the same time again. Have a feeling the football team may get there first.

Oh, I'm a Babliever, love what I see and when we get the horses on defense I think we're in great shape.

Unfortunately I think our football team is trending up just as fast as our basketball team is down. Guess it's not unfortunate but it would be nice to have them both in the top 25 at the same time again. Have a feeling the football team may get there first.

I'd love to see both... but I think the brand plus the potential for kids wanting to play BBall in the dome is much higher than recruiting the football talent to come to snowy Syracuse and play in a dome with a lot less local football talent than basketball talent in the NE. I have faith in Hop.

I'd love to see both... but I think the brand plus the potential for kids wanting to play BBall in the dome is much higher than recruiting the football talent to come to snowy Syracuse and play in a dome with a lot less local football talent than basketball talent in the NE. I have faith in Hop.

I think the recruiting for skilled positions in football is going to be simple once these kids realize that Dino puts up sick numbers. Heck, he has a quarterback who won some NFL games this year that came out of BG.

I think the recruiting for skilled positions in football is going to be simple once these kids realize that Dino puts up sick numbers. Heck, he has a quarterback who won some NFL games this year that came out of BG.

Hope you're right... Went to school during McNabb era lots of good times. I don't think kids want to play football in a dome in upstate NY and our ceiling is probably middle of the pack in ACC. Basketball is a different animal. Cuse can set attendance records and has a top 15 program going through a rough patch which will be very dependent on how the transition goes.

He is getting destroyed tonight...he got destroyed against BC...he got destroyed against VT...He was mediocre vs GTown and UCONN! Gillon is not good. At all...

Let Howard play.
Haven't read this whole thread but u must have seen all the Howard posts recently. He's gone next year so I just don't think Jim will give him much run from here on out.

I agree though, he's better suited for acc play than gillon is.

Post of the year. Completely agree.
But it's inaccurate. Just an fyi...
You may be right as well, I've given up on Howard after the things I've heard and seen but he literally may be the most important person on this roster when it comes to the future of the program. That's scary considering everything.
This is a great post. But he's not coming back. He's just not. Don't expect anything different. Howard will next be seen in the 2018 season starting at PG for a school like Georgia or South Florida

But it's inaccurate. Just an fyi...

This is a great post. But he's not coming back. He's just not. Don't expect anything different. Howard will next be seen in the 2018 season starting at PG for a school like Georgia or South Florida

For the record I don't believe he will be back.

I had a lot of faith in Barbers hire... then I watched his in game play calling and management. I wondered if I had watched too much NFL lately. I put my faith in Hopkins now.

I hear ya bro... but they are both awful and would be benched playing in the MAC. We are so thin that moving battle over is a debatable option if we can throw in X at the 3 or 4. Gillon and Howard are not ACC caliber but Howard maybe can get less slaughtered on D, just hand it off to Battle and get it to Lydon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom