UNC Gameday... | Page 11 | Syracusefan.com

UNC Gameday...

They beat Duke and Hopkins. These issues are not what cost us the Md Army games. They fought til the end with ND. I would say these meltdowns have only happened the last two games. They just need to look how they did before these last two games.

Something is wrong the offense can't put the knife to the throat in close games. Duke's an outlier insane all time D performance and even Hopkins was razor thin when there was no reason for it to be like today. The rest we lost. A wins a win but the one really impressive win vs a good team in Duke was entirely bc of the D.

Teams as good as any in terms of talent and we don't suck on D or at faceoffs at all anymore so maybe the killer instinct offensively shows up in the tournament. I don't think seed really matters play the good teams early hope theres some upsets in the other part of the bracket and ACC schools face each other etc.

I don’t like the matchup with uva. But if they can pull out a win would greatly go long way. As they would clearly most def be in playoffs and prob a seed below 5. While also prob getting us away from a game from Nd depending on what duke does i guess. But feel they could really really use another quality win here to push them up in playoff seeds while guaranteeing playoff seed.

Discipline I’ll give you, but offense has been a victim of their own dumb errors, not what March and Gait set up for them scheme wise. Our failed clears today were perhaps the biggest factor in the lack of goals. You could argue that they tried to slow it down too much, but the main reason for lack of goals in the 4th was dumb turnovers and dumb unforced errors and mistakes shooting backing up etc. Its not like defenses are figuring out how to stop us in the 4th quarter. These have been self inflicted errors. I put less blame on gait and marchs offensive scheme 6v6.

All the blame is not on the staff but today for example Mule was MIA and English was a mess in the 2nd half. Where's the adjustments or switch? Staff or players zero goals the last 20 min+ of gametime is totally unacceptable and it's happening way to often.

Also as you noted the issues were dumb turnovers dumbe unforced errors and mistakes shooting. That's happened way too often to be a one off, something has to change and fast. Staff seems to just shrug it off and that's part of the problem.

Something is wrong the offense can't put the knife to the throat in close games. Duke's an outlier insane all time D performance and even Hopkins was razor thin when there was no reason for it to be like today. The rest we lost. A wins a win but the one really impressive win vs a good team in Duke was entirely bc of the D.

Teams as good as any in terms of talent and we don't suck on D or at faceoffs at all anymore so maybe the killer instinct offensively shows up in the tournament. I don't think seed really matters play the good teams early hope theres some upsets in the other part of the bracket and ACC schools face each other etc.

To me the biggest issue is your first point. There's something wrong with this offense in the 4th. Be it strategy, personnel or something else but there's a bad pattern developing here that I think to many don't want to acknowledge. We've seen this now vs Army, Hop, Cornell and UNC. Something is way off

I’d like to see maby involve some actual hammer shooters. As most defenses are giving us some mid range looks knowing we’re not much of outside shooting team. Think if can bury some outside shots one makes teams even harder to play us cause will have to push out which then opens up middle more which is where we eat. But thought stevens and english both had mid range open looks today once with room to even crow hop n crank, yet they don’t pull it n pass. Know don’t have many shooters but maby can set some plays up for hiltz, birt rhoa type mid range wing shots. We have to be little more than 1 dimensional specially seem to lack straight speed dodging. Come playoffs will need be able to do many diff things successfully if wish to make a run. As how limited of teams in playoffs second round games are gonna be vs very good teams with even some first round games (depending will land) will be tough. This team has the Iq and talent but somehow can’t keep it full throttle in game specially to end or put teams away.

They beat Duke and Hopkins. These issues are not what cost us the Md Army games. They fought til the end with ND. I would say these meltdowns have only happened the last two games. They just need to look how they did before these last two games.
Issues such as poor clears and silly mental errors have been a problem all season, and the offense has been poor in the 2nd half of a number of games this season (Army included).

All the blame is not on the staff but today for example Mule was MIA and English was a mess in the 2nd half. Where's the adjustments or switch? Staff or players zero goals the last 20 min+ of gametime is totally unacceptable and it's happening way to often.

Also as you noted the issues were dumb turnovers dumbe unforced errors and mistakes shooting. That's happened way too often to be a one off, something has to change and fast. Staff seems to just shrug it off and that's part of the problem.
Well said!!!

Issues such as poor clears and silly mental errors have been a problem all season, and the offense has been poor in the 2nd half of a number of games this season (Army included).

It's actually been an issue for 3 years, ie since Gait was hired. My concern is that we're reaching Babers clock management territory and that this is something that's gonna be an issue with Gait teams in perpetuity

Staff = Gary

It's actually been an issue for 3 years, ie since Gait was hired. My concern is that we're reaching Babers clock management territory and that this is something that's gonna be an issue with Gait teams in perpetuity

They were 15-19. English got stripped on one and air mailed a pass on another after he was practically through. On another Levine dropped the ball. And on the other Fig dropped the ball and then air mailed it and Spallina should have played it. I wouldnt put any of those on scheme or coaching.

Players have to make plays. There's no alpha and the upperclassmen are not winners. This year will hopefully set the tone so that our underclassman (e.g., Spallina, Fig, Dwan, Hottle) can be better leaders moving forward.

They were 15-19. English got stripped on one and air mailed a pass on another after he was practically through. On another Levine dropped the ball. And on the other Fig dropped the ball and then air mailed it and Spallina should have played it. I wouldnt put any of those on scheme or coaching.

Players have to make plays. There's no alpha and the upperclassmen are not winners. This year will hopefully set the tone so that our underclassman (e.g., Spallina, Fig, Dwan, Hottle) can be better leaders moving forward.

I'll take your word for it but it felt a lot worse then that and I'm assuming that's not taking into account at least 3 or 4 times they got it over but then turned it over right after. To me the continued issued against the 10 man are very concerning. It's mid April in year 3, it shouldn't be a fire drill clearing against a 10 man or tough ride.

As for the upperclassmen most seeing time are transfers who have seen success. If their struggling give me Kellogg or McCarthy or a guy like Birtwistle.

Last edited:
Definitely film to watch, but you don’t want to peak potentially right before the tournament. This team hasn’t peaked yet, and hopefully the hit their potential with everything clicking going into tournament time. I actually like this gutsy win before facing UVA at home. You get March back too.

I’m not sure how this is a coaching problem when the offense hums for the first half in every game? Conditioning I would definitely buy into Hal Luther transformed the team with his “Hold the rope” conditioning. I do think this teams biggest problem is confidence it has lost 3 games it should
of won. So when another team starts to go on a run the wheels on the bus seem to spiral off. I will agree with Jeremy that other players should be substituted if not producing there are very talented players on the sideline not seeing the field so I will agree the staff or Gary bare some of the blame. With that said I believe this teams biggest problem is between their ears lacking confidence in big situations. I’m not sure how you coach that although I know the team works with a sports psychologist

I agree on the first part. Put any coach on the sideline and they can’t change what happened on most of those failed clears. Players have to execute.

Upperclassmen were sophomores on a 4-10 team that was a laughing stock. They were juniors on a team that was just above 500 and just out of the playoffs. They are now on a team that is one of the few in the nation with a true lock with at least two regular season games to go. If they are not winners then we do not see that improvement. Hiltz Carter Rice and Olexo minus one play all had good games. Some good stuff from Kol and Caccamo as well. They should get some credit, despite these disappointing 4th quarters.

5 ! 5 shots is what we had on the 4th. As shots go per qtr (unc stats) 1st -11 2nd-12 3rd-12 4th-5

That is stat can not have in close games let alone any game really. Yes the turnovers n mistakes limit having ball but they had ball enough but just didn’t try to out shots on try to get to cute n perfect slam dunks instead of getting best chance n burying it. When they have lead they try to get the most perfect shot right on door step seems. Instead of taking what ur giving n bury those. But 5 shots is not good for any offense.

Upperclassmen were sophomores on a 4-10 team that was a laughing stock. They were juniors on a team that was just above 500 and just out of the playoffs. They are now on a team that is one of the few in the nation with a true lock with at least two regular season games to go. If they are not winners then we do not see that improvement. Hiltz Carter Rice and Olexo minus one play all had good games. Some good stuff from Kol and Caccamo as well. They should get some credit, despite these disappointing 4th quarters.

They get credit for being good players or even great players (which they are).

They are not great winners though. They need to show some leadership in closing out these games whether that is stepping up to make a big play (or even just the right play) or calming things down. Out talenting a team like Vermont is different than grinding out results against Cornell, Army, Maryland, or Notre Dame.

A lot of you played sports at a high level I'm sure. I never played at a level as high as these kids. But I know on my college team (different sport) what we as teammates would have been saying to Olexxo after that shot, or Hiltz after wasting a man up, or English for whatever you want to call it when he was screwing around with his brother. It wouldnt have been pleasant.

I see the evolution under Gait as follows - much improved skills/talent --> improving mentality --> improving athleticism.

So far the skill level has vastly improved, and the mentality and athleticism are improving, but still have a ways to go.

By what the stats have said in 4th last two games is we completely shut down n go into autopilot. Has even the gbs in 4th dropped. Gbs by per period

1st-11. 2nd-9 3rd-11 4th -6

unc gbs in 4th qtr -12

it’s showing at the most important time (ending of game) we get out hustled and out played while not producing goals. That will never be a good thing. Gait may need to push them all game lead or not. May have to be up on them constantly give them that mind set go go go go always. They need to play that 4th qtr at ND when down play that way no matter what down or with lead. I don’t know if any of coaches when have lead n go into 4th tell them to slow it down or take time or if just players doing it themslves. But either way someone anyone has to get on team in 4th that this is time to go all out giving it everything. Not let’s slow it down n take our time. Not saying to rush or force but attack in a timely aggressive manor always.

They get credit for being good players or even great players (which they are).

They are not great winners though. They need to show some leadership in closing out these games whether that is stepping up to make a big play (or even just the right play) or calming things down. Out talenting a team like Vermont is different than grinding out results against Cornell, Army, Maryland, or Notre Dame.

A lot of you played sports at a high level I'm sure. I never played at a level as high as these kids. But I know on my college team (different sport) what we as teammates would have been saying to Olexxo after that shot, or Hiltz after wasting a man up, or English for whatever you want to call it when he was screwing around with his brother. It wouldnt have been pleasant.

I see the evolution under Gait as follows - much improved skills/talent --> improving mentality --> improving athleticism.

So far the skill level has vastly improved, and the mentality and athleticism are improving, but still have a ways to go.

This 100%. I get what Lexus is saying, good poster who knows his stuff. However, I think we need to address why these issues keep happening versus finding away to excuse them.

Certainly we need to point put the guys who played well, Mark, the D overall, Kohn/Johnny, Hiltz in the 1st half, Mark again saving our ass in the 2nd half, Thomson save for the 4th etc.

Definitely film to watch, but you don’t want to peak potentially right before the tournament. This team hasn’t peaked yet, and hopefully the hit their potential with everything clicking going into tournament time. I actually like this gutsy win before facing UVA at home. You get March back too.
U don't want to regress before tournament either which is how this team has played the last few games. U want to peak going into tournament.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom