UNC has really done it now... | Syracusefan.com

UNC has really done it now...

Where's that tarhole poster?

It's pretty clear by now… even if this proves to be valid (that players took fake classes and got fake grades), ncaa won't do anything about it

This has been around since athletes have been given scholarships to one extent or another. Some are just more obvious than others.

UNC will probably just hire the NCAA investigator as their new Compliance director and this will add 3 more years to the investigation.

This has been around since athletes have been given scholarships to one extent or another. Some are just more obvious than others.

This is true. If anyone here has played college athletics, they know this to be the case. Perhaps not the extent of big time college athletics, but I can tell you playing hockey for even a D III school there were these "types" of things, for instance:

My pysch class. Taught by biggest booster of the program. Never went to class except Day 1, Mid Term, Final. Grade A
Introduction to Hockey. Taught by the Hockey Coach. Never went, coached at a youth clinic prior to season starting. Grade A

Juts sayin.

Interesting to see how Willingham got ahold of a paper from AFAM 41...a course that didn't exist when she was at UNC, and had a final exam, not a final essay. Of course the paper has no name on it.

Anyways, as long as we are talking about assignments, here's a paper written by NC State's Vandenburg:

http://deadspin.com/5586930/america...ominee-jordan-vandenberg-north-carolina-state

Excerpt: "I attending this event hoping for the best and I was more please with the cookies than the drinks on hand. There was a nice variety in countries but in my opinion there was no quality in the beverages. Overall I would say if you like bitter hot drinks this is for you but I prefer soda and pizza."

The fact of the matter is, all high-profile schools recruit from the same talent pool. UNC is taking a lot of flack for something that goes on at every big-time spots school. Nothing new here.

Looking into the "paper" further, AFAM 41 hasn't been offered since 2006, and was never taught as an independent studies course. Moreover, it always was graded by tests, not papers. It was not a "paper class." Willingham may have overplayed her hand here...using a fake paper to make her point.

www.unc.edu/ugradbulletin/pdf/2005-06.PDF

Makes sense itsbotime. it's a fake accusation about a fake course whose timing is fake that had fake tests not fake papers that is not as fake as NC St's but is common with the fakes at most universities :p

Makes sense itsbotime. it's a fake accusation about a fake course whose timing is fake that had fake tests not fake papers that is not as fake as NC St's but is common with the fakes at most universities :p

Say what you want, but AFAM 41 was never a "no-show" or "paper" course. It was never an independent study course. It was an intro course, a very large course that had hundreds of students and multiple sections in it. It hasn't been offered since 2006 (which is after Willingham came to UNC, so she clearly never tutored a player taking AFAM 41), and it was a test-based, not paper-based course. These are just the facts. What you do with them is up to you.

This issue is one reason I hate our crazily interconnected world. It used to be you didn't hear about these things until it was somewhat verified. Any hack with a connection to the internet can start rumors and post unverified info. There are many unscrupulous people out there that would make something like this up just because they don't agree with athletics. Let's not accuse UNC of anything until actual proof comes from the NCAA. We do not have all of the facts just one person going on and on.

Just like we took crap for Bernie Fine when nothing was proven. Lets remember that situation before throwing stones.

Speculation is just that blah blah blah you get the point.

This issue is one reason I hate our crazily interconnected world. It used to be you didn't hear about these things until it was somewhat verified. Any hack with a connection to the internet can start rumors and post unverified info. There are many unscrupulous people out there that would make something like this up just because they don't agree with athletics. Let's not accuse UNC of anything until actual proof comes from the NCAA. We do not have all of the facts just one person going on and on.

Just like we took crap for Bernie Fine when nothing was proven. Lets remember that situation before throwing stones.

Speculation is just that blah blah blah you get the point.

Agreed. If I wanted to, I could type a paper, give it a course number, take it to the media, and claim that a Duke basketball player wrote it. The fact that the paper making rounds on social media right now has so many red flags and doesn't have a name or a date on it is very suspect.

To be fair, I saw worse writing from people in my MBA program at GW.

Actual quote from a paper written by a girl in one of my classes:

"What happened at Ford that Mulally is addressed as one of most successful entrepreneurs in the financial industry? Allan Mulally’s instinct as a visionary has made him the leader that he is today. As a result of MulallyFord was the only American auto maker that did not take a Government bailout. Mulally’s plan was different. It was simple, consisting of just four points. Putting together the financing necessary to pay for it all, leveragingFord’s global assets, Coming together as a team and building cars and trucks that people wanted and valued.(Bryce, 2012)
The whole operational structure of Ford was modified by Mullaly. Coming from a Boeing Mullaly had an outsider’s perspective to come in and assess what was wrong. He foresaw recession and borrowed $23 million in cash against Ford’s assets to cushion the bad economy."

TArhole p;olstere.

OK here's a "tarhole poster". I assume you have verified this comes from a "whistleblower" that would had to have either turned in the paper or graded it, meaning it's either a student, GA or Professor holding said paper. I also assume you wouldn't take the word of an anonymous poster claiming another person turned in said paper. Therefore you have thoroughly investigated the facts and formed an inarguable conclusion based on a complete set of facts consisting of knowing the writer, author, whistleblower etc.

Simply wonderful detective work...worthy of an 3rd grader that's almost completed a Nancy Drew mystery. Please give the FBI a call...they need people of your caliber. :)

Am I cynical or am I a realist?

I think this has been happening in a lot of major sports colleges. I don't think it's new. It's just ignored.

Maybe you're both, but you're also right.

And it'd be interesting to see the responses if someone were to post similar papers from SU student-athletes.

Let's just say that this charade is not limited to Chapel Hill.

To be fair, I saw worse writing from people in my MBA program at GW.

Actual quote from a paper written by a girl in one of my classes:

"What happened at Ford that Mulally is addressed as one of most successful entrepreneurs in the financial industry? Allan Mulally’s instinct as a visionary has made him the leader that he is today. As a result of MulallyFord was the only American auto maker that did not take a Government bailout. Mulally’s plan was different. It was simple, consisting of just four points. Putting together the financing necessary to pay for it all, leveragingFord’s global assets, Coming together as a team and building cars and trucks that people wanted and valued.(Bryce, 2012)
The whole operational structure of Ford was modified by Mullaly. Coming from a Boeing Mullaly had an outsider’s perspective to come in and assess what was wrong. He foresaw recession and borrowed $23 million in cash against Ford’s assets to cushion the bad economy."

And that's true, too. There are bad writers in every level of our society.

Kids grow up in households without books, where learning isn't valued. They go to schools where writing isn't taught but social promotion is the norm. And they get accepted to colleges (SU, for instance) where remedial writing programs were long ago scrapped - if their high school teachers couldn't get them to write well, the thinking goes, what luck will we have?

It's very discouraging to read a lot of what my law school peers produced. Same goes for work colleagues. Heck, look at what professional writers are putting out at the Post-Standard or in SU's athletics department. An awful lot of communications majors can't successfully communicate. Very sad.

RenoHeel said:
TArhole p;olstere. OK here's a "tarhole poster". I assume you have verified this comes from a "whistleblower" that would had to have either turned in the paper or graded it, meaning it's either a student, GA or Professor holding said paper. I also assume you wouldn't take the word of an anonymous poster claiming another person turned in said paper. Therefore you have thoroughly investigated the facts and formed an inarguable conclusion based on a complete set of facts consisting of knowing the writer, author, whistleblower etc. Simply wonderful detective work...worthy of an 3rd grader that's almost completed a Nancy Drew mystery. Please give the FBI a call...they need people of your caliber. :)

No not you. Someone better.