UNC has really done it now... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UNC has really done it now...

And that's true, too. There are bad writers in every level of our society.

Kids grow up in households without books, where learning isn't valued. They go to schools where writing isn't taught but social promotion is the norm. And they get accepted to colleges (SU, for instance) where remedial writing programs were long ago scrapped - if their high school teachers couldn't get them to write well, the thinking goes, what luck will we have?

It's very discouraging to read a lot of what my law school peers produced. Same goes for work colleagues. Heck, look at what professional writers are putting out at the Post-Standard or in SU's athletics department. An awful lot of communications majors can't successfully communicate. Very sad.

It's amazing to me since my nephew who is 10 actually writes more cogently than that person... who is receiving an MBA degree... from supposedly a well-respected university.

By the way, this same student has a 3.6.

These UNC guys are starting to approach Penn State calibre denial.

No they're not. Pushing kids through school and decades of P e d o p h I l I aare pretty different. Most everyone does the former to a certain degree.

These UNC guys are starting to approach Penn State calibre denial.

Since you obviously have more information than anyone else, which UNC student wrote that paper, what year did he write it, who was his TA, who was his professor, and what was his PID number? Because there is literally nothing to tie that paper to UNC other than a course number for a course that was discontinued nearly a decade ago.

Thanks in advance for your input.

No they're not. Pushing kids through school and decades of P e d o p h I l I aare pretty different. Most everyone does the former to a certain degree.

I'm not comparing the crimes...

Since you obviously have more information than anyone else, which UNC student wrote that paper, what year did he write it, who was his TA, who was his professor, and what was his PID number? Because there is literally nothing to tie that paper to UNC other than a course number for a course that was discontinued nearly a decade ago.

Thanks in advance for your input.

I don't know who wrote that paper. But I'm pretty sure your school broke some rules. And some UNC homer coming on here trying to play white knight on behalf of "the Carolina way" isn't going to change anyone's minds.

I don't know who wrote that paper. But I'm pretty sure your school broke some rules. And some UNC homer coming on here trying to play white knight on behalf of "the Carolina way" isn't going to change anyone's minds.

Bingo. And that is the crux of the matter.

BTW, for anyone interested in this "whistleblower": She tweeted at Obama recently, asking the President of the United States to make it illegal for anyone to fill out a bracket. Yes, this woman wants the police to punish you for following college basketball. She is a very credible source...her impartiality is hard to beat.

I'm fairly certain that anyone here who is "outraged" over this just wants UNC to get in trouble because this probably goes on at almost every major CFB and CBB school.

I guess I should point out that my nine-year-old daughter wrote a paper this year on "Rosa Parks: My Story," and her paper was far superior to this.

The player should have turned in my daughter's paper.

Why can't we discuss these accusations in a civilized manor. I am by no means a unc fan, obviously, but I cannot say unc did anything wrong. The source for all of this is a joke and doesn't have hard evidence or credibility. Where is the grade on the paper?

Anyways I will support unc until further evidence is brought forth. Again remember all of the bs we put up with after the Bernie Fine ACCUSATIONS? Right now this is the same thing. As much as I love ripping on our opponents and their schools, I can't in this situation because it is simply unsubstantiated evidence.

Before throwing stones look around at the glass house that we live in.

As a history guy who writes probably 10-20 pages for papers a week. This deeply rustles me.

Well I'll be, cowpoke! There's no guldarned excuse for that kind of English!

I think we can put this one in the unintentional humor file. Think chips rather than jeans.

It's a sweet paper. Concise and to the point. Frankly, it kicks the crap out of my master's thesis and that mother is 129 pages long.

Exacty. Economy of words - I felt like I was there. No Wikipedia page gives you that. With actual quotes...the travesty is that the kid didn't get an A.

Wow -- update to this. Looks like Willingham lied initial reports were wrong about the paper:

https://twitter.com/Raising_Heel/status/449622909620076544

South Alabama State still facing the death penalty though.

Called it...what did I tell you all?

Willingham has the credibility of a ham sandwich. She's worse than the NCAA about exploiting these athletes for money. At least the NCAA doesn't throw student-athletes under the bus to promote their own book deals.

Who is saying it is not real?

Someone with a different twitter account

Who is saying it is not real?

Someone with a different twitter account

Willingham herself, when called out, changed her story about the paper. If you check page one you will see that I called the paper's credibility into question from the start. There are numerous problems with the paper, namely-

-It is at least 8 years old, and the course it was allegedly written for predates Willingham's tenure at the university. How did she get her hands on a paper that is 8+ years old from a time period when she wasn't even at the university?
-On ESPN and HBO, Willingham was using the paper as evidence of shoddy "paper classes." AFAM 41 was never a "paper class" or a "no show class" (Willingham has been forced to admit this in the past 48 hours). AFAM 41 was a huge lecture class that met regularly, had hundreds of students, and multiple assignments. Moreover, it had a final exam at the end, not a final paper. The paper that she produced had "Final Paper" on the top. Willingham has since admitted that the paper was part of a take-home assignment, and was not, in fact, a "final paper" as originally claimed.
-Willingham initially implied that the student got an A- for the paper. In fact, she has been forced to clarify that the student got an A- in the class, that the paper was a "draft", and that she doesn't even know if it was ever turned in or what the student got on it.
-The paper has no name, date, identification number.

All things considered, there is a high probability that the paper didn't come from an athlete at all and is a fake. There is nothing to tie it to an athlete except for Willingham's word, when she wasn't at UNC at the time and has changed her story numerous times so far.

Willingham herself, when called out, changed her story about the paper. If you check page one you will see that I called the paper's credibility into question from the start. There are numerous problems with the paper, namely-

-It is at least 8 years old, and the course it was allegedly written for predates Willingham's tenure at the university. How did she get her hands on a paper that is 8+ years old from a time period when she wasn't even at the university?
-On ESPN and HBO, Willingham was using the paper as evidence of shoddy "paper classes." AFAM 41 was never a "paper class" or a "no show class" (Willingham has been forced to admit this in the past 48 hours). AFAM 41 was a huge lecture class that met regularly, had hundreds of students, and multiple assignments. Moreover, it had a final exam at the end, not a final paper. The paper that she produced had "Final Paper" on the top. Willingham has since admitted that the paper was part of a take-home assignment, and was not, in fact, a "final paper" as originally claimed.
-Willingham initially implied that the student got an A- for the paper. In fact, she has been forced to clarify that the student got an A- in the class, that the paper was a "draft", and that she doesn't even know if it was ever turned in or what the student got on it.
-The paper has no name, date, identification number.

All things considered, there is a high probability that the paper didn't come from an athlete at all and is a fake. There is nothing to tie it to an athlete except for Willingham's word, when she wasn't at UNC at the time and has changed her story numerous times so far.

I spent almost two years working at a SUNY school on boiler change overs and in some of the rooms are boxes filled with school reports and projects going back many years. So finding that paper might be much easier if one knows where to look.

They had the students name and addresses on them and many boxes were left open and papers lying about.

I spent almost two years working at a SUNY school on boiler change overs and in some of the rooms are boxes filled with school reports and projects going back many years. So finding that paper might be much easier if one knows where to look.

They had the students name and addresses on them and many boxes were left open and papers lying about.

That seems like it would invite FERPA violations. UNC has a policy of shredding all papers turned in at the either one or two year mark after they are graded. For a draft of an 8+ year old homework assignment to survive is pretty suspect, but stranger things have happened.