UNC Postgame Thoughts | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

UNC Postgame Thoughts

Wow, what a win!

Sure, we aren't going to shoot 60% every game. Some games the little things go the right way (JJ's bank shot 3p), and that is what happened tonight.

However, lots of other positives that are repeatable. Played smart to close out the halves. Bell passing up that shot near the end showed a discipline that that isn't normally there. Copeland was a pest on DF and didn't commit any stupid fouls.

One other awesome part was a 7pm game on ESPN. Couple casual fans texted me. For those people who don't normally watch Cuse, we look like a better team than reality.

I’ll bet Bell wanted so much to take that shot. LOL.

I thought the initial chop was at least an attempt for the ball, but when he followed through and grabbed Maliq’s arm, I thought that was non basketball related contact that should have been called.

I didn’t think it was that egregious of a ruling.
I am probably in the minority but thought that the push in the back from Bacot (I think it was him) that knocked MaliQ off the court after Ryan’s chop and grab, was worse.

My dog just starred at me concerned for my well being for the final 3-4 minutes of that game. I was in NCAA Tourney psychological mode.
Was thinking the same thing because I was getting the nervous feeling that I usually only get in those big Tourney games -- felt like that West Virginia win (since the following game vs Houston wasn't very close).

Without thinking I was wearing Carolina Blue today as the sweater has a big heart on it, and was thinking Valentine's. I was out with past clients, and we couldn't leave the restaurant as there was a big TV in front of us, and I had to scream silently over and over in the last 2 minutes. Have you ever tried to scream silently? I can now give lessons.

the zone "worked"...but not really...down the stretch, UNC was scoring at will.

the difference in the game was SU had an amazingly efficient night on offense

having to shoot 63% overall and almost 50% from 3 to hang on for a close victory down the stretch is unsustainable...and evidence that the defense was actually bad.

I didnt think they could play zone and win...but I also didnt think they could play that well on offense ...UNC's defense is really really good, normally...

Hopefully Judah can play like this the rest of the way...he played great.

Do I think the zone and playing 6 guys is a recipe for long term success? No.

Did both work tonight for what they needed them to do? Absolutely. Glad to take the L on that.

I think Red believes his bench guys aren’t good enough and he has to play the main 5 to win.
Rest of the way. Is what it is. I still think zone isn’t the most effective D as far as giving up wide open looks and giving up rebounds but clearly it helped Brown stay on the floor and most importantly tonight thought Q and Brown were able to be pests poking the ball away. We’ll see how Red uses it rest of the way
I agree with you completely. I don’t want us to play zone and I don’t think Autry does either. I jut think with this team not being great individual defenders and with the limited depth the zone has to be heavily used. It also helps your guards stay somewhat fresh for 35-40 minutes. I also don’t love guards playing the whole game but depth is not there at the moment.

cuse!

Felt like old times...like deja vu all over again. Couldn't be prouder.
Red has got something as a HC. It's incredibly difficult managing emotions of a headstrong young team. More times than not, he's done a great job of getting the team ready.
In retrospect, that "apology" to SU fans might end up as a turning point. LGO

I think, Copeland discovered that he could take the ball out of Ryan's hands any time he wanted to at the end of the game.

I think if we meet them in a tournament, Ryan will have a bunch of quick turnovers, until he has to come out of the game.

Copeland dominating Ryan was a huge part of closing out this game.

Without thinking I was wearing Carolina Blue today as the sweater has a big heart on it, and was thinking Valentine's. I was out with past clients, and we couldn't leave the restaurant as there was a big TV in front of us, and I had to scream silently over and over in the last 2 minutes. Have you ever tried to scream silently? I can now give lessons.
I've learned to scream silently so my dogs don't get frightened and run out of the room during SU games. Years ago they would run upstairs at the first utterance (yelling at the TV) from me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom