Uniform/Helmet craze in College Football | Syracusefan.com

Uniform/Helmet craze in College Football

Alsacs

Living Legend
Outside of the Grob Orange jersey nightmare from 2006 Syracuse has been as Conservative as Ann Coulter and Sean Hannity when it comes to its uniforms and helmets. While I like our uniforms on the road I can't describe my frustration with our home jerseys. We are the Syracuse Orange and only have 1 official color which is Orange and our home jersey has very little Orange beyond the outline of the numbers. ESPN has a series of articles talking about how recruits love different uniforms and how it helps recruiting. Instead of joining the party we continue to do nothing. I would have three different helmets. The current block S Orange helmet, the Donovan McNabb era solid Orange helmet, and the Orange helmet with numbers on it. I don't want white or blue helmets, but if the kids wanted to wear them one time what the heck. I would also have three football jerseys white, orange, and blue. I know nothing will get done and that is ticks me off its so lazy that EVERY freaking school except Alabama which doesn't need to do anything because all they do is win has adapted and yet freaking Syracuse has had the same freaking uniforms with minor changes. Let's adapt to the 2010s and have some variety please and maybe we get 1 more recruit with flash.

http://espn.go.com/college-football...-scenes-college-football-latest-uniform-craze

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/r...all-recruiting-uniforms-selling-point-schools

http://espn.go.com/college-football...s-oregon-indiana-notable-uniform-developments

Remove the stupid block S from the helmet and the orange/blue piping from the jerseys. Reserve an all-orange uniform for HUGE games (like if we are 4-0 going into Clemson). Done.

Remove the stupid block S from the helmet and the orange/blue piping from the jerseys. Reserve an all-orange uniform for HUGE games (like if we are 4-0 going into Clemson). Done.

I love the piping on the jerseys, honestly. I think our uniforms look pretty fantastic, though I don't really care if we keep the block S or go to the solid orange like we used to have. I actually liked having the numbers on the sides more than the block S, but that may just be me.

If you got rid of the block S, I think our uniforms would be just about perfect. The challenge would be coming up with an all orange uniform that doesn't look completely hideous. I think our current shade of orange that we use would be really good for an all orange uni, honestly, though I wouldn't mind an alternate helmet if we go that route. Maybe a dark navy, super shiny finish helmet with an orange stripe?

You just tickled my fancy. I couldn't agree more by saying we need to adapt with the times. This is just part of the arms race that seems to be college football. We were late to going to the ACC. We were late on developing and updating our facilities. We are late on uniforms too. The uniform thing isn't about what the fan wants its about what the kids want to wear. I know this is a sore topic for some when it comes to uniform change but I'm sorry it's not about us.

Ps I saw the gloves we will have I just want to see the rumored alternate uniforms they maybe wearing at the meadowlands this year.

BQXOFgQCQAEO3tb.jpg

It's not just just Alabama that stays traditional. Most of the traditionally good schools stay that way. Michigan, Ohio St., Penn St., Florida St., Florida, Tennessee, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan St, none of these schools have done much with their uniforms. They have evolved them, but they haven't done anything crazy. Does updating uniforms every other year really help recruiting that much? People point to Oregon, but their recruiting has more to do with having the most ridiculous facilities in the country than anything else. If we hadn't let Nike screw them up during the GRob era in the first place, we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion. We need to look at our past uniforms that looked good and take some styling cues from them with a modern take and just go with those for a while.

It's not just just Alabama that stays traditional. Most of the traditionally good schools stay that way. Michigan, Ohio St., Penn St., Florida St., Florida, Tennessee, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan St, none of these schools have done much with their uniforms.

I disagree.

UM_MSU_Kovacs.jpg

3606552.jpg

Uni2.jpg

It's not just just Alabama that stays traditional. Most of the traditionally good schools stay that way. Michigan, Ohio St., Penn St., Florida St., Florida, Tennessee, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, Michigan St, none of these schools have done much with their uniforms. They have evolved them, but they haven't done anything crazy. Does updating uniforms every other year really help recruiting that much? People point to Oregon, but their recruiting has more to do with having the most ridiculous facilities in the country than anything else. If we hadn't let Nike screw them up during the GRob era in the first place, we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion. We need to look at our past uniforms that looked good and take some styling cues from them with a modern take and just go with those for a while.

Agreed. If gaudy uniforms were what mattered Maryland would be working on its third title in five years.

Go look at the uniforms Ohio State-Michigan have been wearing at their game their last the 5 years they are all special jerseys for the most part. look at the Michigan-Michigan State game last year. Florida State has worn a black jersey against Boston College while I was a law student at BC, Florida wears their Emmitt Smith era Orange jerseys each year. Penn State has added its logo to the jersey and the last names to back. Tennessee has new jerseys this year as well as UCLA does. Nebraska is debuting black jerseys this year, Texas, USC, Oklahoma all have worn NIKE pro combat jerseys at least one time. Everybody has been wearing new helmets, jerseys in games except conservative same old Syracuse.

Go look at the uniforms Ohio State-Michigan have been wearing at their game their last the 5 years they are all special jerseys for the most part. look at the Michigan-Michigan State game last year. Florida State has worn a black jersey against Boston College while I was a law student at BC, Florida wears their Emmitt Smith era Orange jerseys each year. Penn State has added its logo to the jersey and the last names to back. Tennessee has new jerseys this year as well as UCLA does. Nebraska is debuting black jerseys this year, Texas, USC, Oklahoma all have worn NIKE pro combat jerseys at least one time. Everybody has been wearing new helmets, jerseys in games except conservative same old Syracuse.

Part of this could be that for the last decade no one wants to see Syracuse football at all, let alone in ugly new jerseys.

Penn St. adding a small lion head logo and names to the jerseys is not really what I would call a big makeover. That is a change that is akin to us adding/or removing piping.

Nebraska has worn black jerseys many times in the past.

Not "everyone" has been wearing new helmets, but I get your point and I wouldn't mind an alternate helmet to be worn now and again. I suspect we might see some uniform changes with the new staff. HCDM struck me as being very stuffy when it came to uniforms.

I would actually like to see an orange jersey with navy pants. Maybe a helmet that looks like an orange-peel texture.

I disagree.

UM_MSU_Kovacs.jpg

3606552.jpg

Uni2.jpg
For some reason my computer won't let me see the first picture. As for the other two, are those revolutionary Oregon like changes or evolutionary changes like I already suggested? The Michigan St. uniform is dark green with black on the shoulder pads isn't at all crazy and the biggest change on bottom uniform is the piping on the arms which is something not everyone will even wear. I'm not against change, but it shouldn't be gimmicky and outlandish. We shouldn't try and be Oregon. If we try to do that, we'll just come off as copycats and won't be taken seriously anyway.

some of you guys are thinking for yourself. You want the uniforms to look how you want them or you want them to look like ones we had when we were winning. You are not thinking about what these kids want. Some of you dont want to buy in to the fact that uniforms effect recruiting. Facilities can but uniforms cant? I coach football. All my kids talk about is whose uniforms are better. if you make changes, they have to be good changes. I dont want an ugly uniform either. BTW Expect new pants this season, next year they will be getting new stuff. I dont have details, just what I heard.

We could break out some black and orange ones on Halloween and go for the Jack - o - latern look.

Black Helmets with Orange block S, oragne face mask

Black jerseys with Orange lettering

Black pants with Orange tiger stripes

Orange sneakers and socks

Orange glves and arm spandex

exclusively for Halloween then burn them

That sounds good or dark gray / platinum. I'd also be ok with same uniforms just use a chrome helmet

I am one of the few people who actually likes the combination of orange and silver. If we make any "special" unis, I would like to see them incorporate the silver somehow.