Uniform of the Day for Colgate | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Uniform of the Day for Colgate

TheCusian said:
Of course. We can also not complain every week. It gets old. We know the problems. We know who likes what. Just tired of it. Let's get the winning right. Then Wildhack can negotiate a sweet deal to fix the issues.

Then people can stop posting the combo each week? It's a discussion board, and we rarely tread any new ground here.

KaiserUEO said:
Fn blue smurf helmet. coyle F's with us from beyond the grave...
Blue helmets were introduced two years ago, pre-Coyle.

I bet we have new uniforms next year once Babers & Wildhack gets to yell at Nike.

Home
Classic orange, navy, orange. All orange alternate.
Road
Classic orange, white, orange. All white alternate.

I don't think anybody complains. Make the numbers legible from a distance.

Safe guess for the Louisville game with it being an "orange out" for the fans the team will go All Orange (Helmet, Jersey, Pants)

GoSU96 said:
Winning and looking like "SU" while doing it isn't mutually exclusive

Agreed. But one is infinitely more important.

Side note: they are still SU, even if they don't look like you remember.

TheCusian said:
Agreed. But one is infinitely more important. Side note: they are still SU, even if they don't look like you remember.

To be fair, does anyone ever argue against your first point? Has anyone ever said "I'd prefer we have uniforms I like over winning?". Of course playing well on the field is much more important.

Like I said, we can do better. I'm not even some zealot who demands a return to 1987. I love modern looking uniforms. I'm 100% cool with the Oregon approach. I just think our current unis stink.

I bet we have new uniforms next year once Babers & Wildhack gets to yell at Nike.

Seriously. I just want something cool and legible numbers-wise for football. Basketball- can somebody get to Wildhack and get those all white cursive/all orange cursive unis back at least for certain games? Make him an offer he can't refuse if it has to come to that.

To be fair, does anyone ever argue against your first point? Has anyone ever said "I'd prefer we have uniforms I like over winning?". Of course playing well on the field is much more important.

Like I said, we can do better. I'm not even some zealot who demands a return to 1987. I love modern looking uniforms. I'm 100% cool with the Oregon approach. I just think our current unis stink.

Well said.

Home
Classic orange, navy, orange. All orange alternate.
Road
Classic orange, white, orange. All white alternate.

I don't think anybody complains. Make the numbers legible from a distance.
Yeah I agree with the numbers but the days of 2 sets of UNIs are dead. It's combo city now.

I'm kind of here as well. I actually like the different color combinations, and the chances to mix it up from time to time. My problem mainly with these uniforms are the fact you can't read them on a TV screen. In a world of HD television, that should never be a problem. That means there's something wrong with the way they are being presented. Simple, thin piping would go a long way towards making them work.

At least we have orange jerseys that work with the uniform as a whole. That was a giant novel concept for a long time. Fix the numbers on these unis, and I'd love them, especially if we win in them.

Scooch said:
To be fair, does anyone ever argue against your first point? Has anyone ever said "I'd prefer we have uniforms I like over winning?". Of course playing well on the field is much more important. Like I said, we can do better. I'm not even some zealot who demands a return to 1987. I love modern looking uniforms. I'm 100% cool with the Oregon approach. I just think our current unis stink.

Not really ;). But:

My point has been a simple one: the uni we like best is the one we associate with winning.

(When we win 8 games this year, my seven year olds version of the classic uni will be this one. Along with a whole bunch of students, etc.)

I think they don't stink, so there's that. Maybe based on my opinion they shouldn't be changed at all. Maybe they should just take a poll of fans adn go with the vote.

The thing is, SU football isn't a democracy.

I don't recall at any point in history that fans were consulted on uniforms, can anyone?

I don't mind this combination at all. I still wish I could read the numbers though.
I have not liked the numbers since they changed them; long and skinny like crayola crayons. They are not easy to read.

Once the AD has his tentacles firmly into the day2day of this football operation, i'll be shocked if we don't have a retro uniform in the portfolio. It just doesn't make sense with the way many other colleges have had success unleashing them. At a minimum, they will be great for marketing. A 1992 uniform, a 1988 one, etc. It's gonna happen. No reason why we won't act like BC who has had huge success with the Flutie retros.

Not really ;). But:

My point has been a simple one: the uni we like best is the one we associate with winning.

(When we win 8 games this year, my seven year olds version of the classic uni will be this one. Along with a whole bunch of students, etc.)

Not necessarily true. We won a lot in the 80s and 90s, and I'll admit that by today's design standards those uniforms are boring. If we're going by our kids, my 13 year old and 9 year old think our unis aren't good. And yet they adore Oregon's, and most of the other cool, modern uniforms.

Last point I wanted to make... I find the line of trying to end discussion about uniforms by saying the effect of "it's all about winning, who cares you fashion-loving Nancies" to be obtuse. Uniforms in sports are a big deal. Hell, there is a not-so-small subset of fans who developed a favorite team precisely because of the uniforms. How many times have we heard someone claim that they're a Cowboys fan because they liked the star on the helmet? Or how important to the Yankees tradition the pinstripes are?

And we avid fans buy a ton of gear that uses our favorite team's color scheme, logo, mark, mascot and uniform aesthetic. I have jerseys of a couple of my favorite teams to wear to games, but I wouldn't buy an SU football jersey because I find the design so off-putting. I'm a focus group of one, I get it, but I'd buy just about anything -- my threshold for liking a uniform is remarkably low. Hell, I bought a Drew Bledsoe Pats jersey circa 1994, and those things were considered butt ugly by much of that fanbase.

So anyway, my opinion's far from the only one, but I really hope the new administration considers heavily tweaking our unis.

I think they don't stink, so there's that. Maybe based on my opinion they shouldn't be changed at all. Maybe they should just take a poll of fans adn go with the vote.

The thing is, SU football isn't a democracy.

I don't recall at any point in history that fans were consulted on uniforms, can anyone?

That's fine. No one was consulted on these from what I understand. We got Nike's newest mass stock, with too-clever 44 degree diagonal numbers.

Not necessarily true. We won a lot in the 80s and 90s, and I'll admit that by today's design standards those uniforms are boring. If we're going by our kids, my 13 year old and 9 year old think our unis aren't good. And yet they adore Oregon's, and most of the other cool, modern uniforms.

Last point I wanted to make... I find the line of trying to end discussion about uniforms by saying the effect of "it's all about winning, who cares you fashion-loving Nancies" to be obtuse. Uniforms in sports are a big deal. Hell, there is a not-so-small subset of fans who developed a favorite team precisely because of the uniforms. How many times have we heard someone claim that they're a Cowboys fan because they liked the star on the helmet? Or how important to the Yankees tradition the pinstripes are?

And we avid fans buy a ton of gear that uses our favorite team's color scheme, logo, mark, mascot and uniform aesthetic. I have jerseys of a couple of my favorite teams to wear to games, but I wouldn't buy an SU football jersey because I find the design so off-putting. I'm a focus group of one, I get it, but I'd buy just about anything -- my threshold for liking a uniform is remarkably low. Hell, I bought a Drew Bledsoe Pats jersey circa 1994, and those things were considered butt ugly by much of that fanbase.

So anyway, my opinion's far from the only one, but I really hope the new administration considers heavily tweaking our unis.
the Patriots are a great example of awesome success in lieu of the fact that Flying Elvis sucks compares to the Pat Patriot logo that all reasonable fashionistas would agree are more sharp.

Uniforms matter. Now that we have an awesome AD/Coach I trust both will figure this out to appease all portions of the fan base. Multiple uniforms i think will be the answer. People love Syracuse nationally. There is a market for this stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom