University Of Buffalo New Coach | Syracusefan.com

University Of Buffalo New Coach

Cuseroc

Walk On
I just realized that their new coach, Lance Leipold, has won 5 Dlll national championships since 2007. He has had double digit wins ever since 2007, sometimes getting 14 and 15 wins in a season. I believe that if you can coach, it will be manifested at any college level. Does anyone think this will be a concern for Syracuse in the future? I realize that any success he has there will only be until some team snatches him away from UB. In the meantime he could get Buffalo to a level that big time NY recruits will give the Bulls some attention.

Does anyone think this will be a concern for Syracuse in the future? I realize that any success he has there will only be until some team snatches him away from UB.

To elaborate, I believe the 2nd sentence pretty much answers the question in the 1st sentence. If he ever got UB to a level where they could even begin to entertain stealing priority recruits away from SU, he'd leave for a better job almost instantly.

Of course not. D-3 isn't D-1. Recruiting just isn't the same. Obviously.

To elaborate, I believe the 2nd sentence pretty much answers the question in the 1st sentence. If he ever got UB to a level where they could even begin to entertain stealing priority recruits away from SU, he'd leave for a better job almost instantly.

Agree. This is similar to the concern we had about Larry Fedora at UNC. It pretty much ended when one of our posters said that he wouldn't last longer than the term of his original contract because if he turned UNC into some sort of powerhouse, he'd be hired away by a traditional power. If he didn't, he'd be fired at the end of the contract. Right now, we (and they) would rate him as "Meh."

I don't think SU has anything to worry about.

I do think that this thread will be highly entertaining.
no sir, su does have something to worry about ---pay attention to history---and curb arrogance

no sir, su does have something to worry about ---pay attention to history---and curb arrogance

When in history did another NYS school or any Northeast non-P5 reach a point where they began consistently challenging SU for priority NYS recruits?

What history are you referring to that we should pay attention to exactly?
the history is that many here said the very same thing about rutgers when they started to emphasize their football program. they were laughed at, by us made fun of etc. they virtually shut us out of recruiting in nj (to just recently), beat us several times, have better attendance than we do etc etc. we are not in a position by any stretch of the imagination, to not worry.

the history is that many here said the very same thing about rutgers when they started to emphasize their football program. they were laughed at, by us made fun of etc. they virtually shut us out of recruiting in nj (to just recently), beat us several times, have better attendance than we do etc etc. we are not in a position by any stretch of the imagination, to not worry.
Some serious differences, 1- they are the primary/only D1 program in a talented state 2- they were in the big east at the time a power conference.

Buffalo is not now, nor ever been in a power conference, they are also not even in a talent rich state, let alone the primary d1 power in that state

tipphill said:

We also beat them like a tired drum for twenty years. With our w-l record vs them we should still be laughing at them.

Also - we shut ourselves out of NJ recruiting by hiring Greg Robinson.

Better attendance recently. We'd be up 50 points in an empty arena for most of their existence.

Buffalo is great for NY and for SUNY. But the divide with P5 vs non is widening. They are not a threat.

I just realized that their new coach, Lance Leipold, has won 5 Dlll national championships since 2007. He has had double digit wins ever since 2007, sometimes getting 14 and 15 wins in a season. I believe that if you can coach, it will be manifested at any college level. Does anyone think this will be a concern for Syracuse in the future? I realize that any success he has there will only be until some team snatches him away from UB. In the meantime he could get Buffalo to a level that big time NY recruits will give the Bulls some attention.

UB shouldn't be a concern in the immediate future, but I wouldn't ignore them. If NYS can get past the jealousies of other SUNY schools and start throwing money at UB, they could improve quickly. The school has an opportunity to share an NFL class facility with the Bills. Like SU, the school wants to be recognized as New York's team. The starting QB (Licata) had an offer from SU. Leipold is a successful head coach. The immediate need is for better athletes on the defensive side of the ball, but given Leipold's record, it is not hard to see UB becoming a consistently strong MAC school. Add some serious state money and who knows what could happen.

Before you snicker too much, ask yourself when was the last time SU had a player drafted in the NFL first round? For UB it was 2014, top 5 pick Khalil Mack. The school also had running backs that now play for the Packers and the Chargers as well as players on the Ravens and Vikings. In short, UB's success with NFL players over the past few years is not too different from SU.

rrlbees said:
You might want to fact check that one.

No problem being wrong - it was him or Marrone that did damage to our relationships with NJ coaches.

Share your knowledge instead of the goal being proving me wrong and the site will be a better place, I think.

Also - let whatever issue you have with me go. I'm trying to be a model citizen around here. If you want me gone - just say it. I'll go back to lurking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom