University of Georgia | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

University of Georgia

People get too caught up in UGA’s close, exciting game with Alabama in the CCG. That may have been the anomaly. We just don’t know. I have no problem with how it played out, except I hate ND.

Alabama was going to be in the playoff whether they held on vs UGA or not.

The other side of that coin is that UGA is expected to beat Alabama twice to have a shot to win it all, which is a condition that was placed on literally zero other teams.
I didn't place that on them. But it doesn't matter. They lost to Alabama this year and had two losses. If they had beaten Alabama that would have muddied the waters alot. The way it played out this year was ideal for a playoff that only has 4 teams.

I didn't place that on them. But it doesn't matter. They lost to Alabama this year and had two losses. If they had beaten Alabama that would have muddied the waters alot. The way it played out this year was ideal for a playoff that only has 4 teams.

Oh yeah I’m sorry I’m spent on this subject.

It’ll be even more awesome when UGa loses to Texas and Alabama rolls next week. Will be sure to bump.

I find this sentiment in sports foolish, no disrespect. Hey, the Chargers beat the Chiefs during the regular season, so why would anyone want to see an AFC championship game with the two of them down the road if it plays out that way? Just place the Chargers in the Superbowl. The bottom line is, sports isn't played in a vacuum, and the 4 team playoff is a joke, but that's just my opinion.

On an aside, the month plus between games is idiotic. Most of these bowl games have been down right awful as many teams are plain out of sync and the lopsidedness suggests same. The Sooners last night obviously were rusty to start, but once they got in sync after the first half, they at least showed they could play/score against 'bama. Who knows how it plays out if nearly 5 weeks hadn't gone by?
There is a big difference between a 32 team league that plays 16 regular season games where you play a double round robin in your division and a bunch of interdivisional games where records determine everything and a "league" with 120+ teams (or even a league that is still twice as big when only considering the power 5) where there is so little cross over play between conferences (even between divisions within a conference) and many of the top teams don't have the chance to play each other until a committee sets it up within a playoff format. Comparing NFL to college organizationally is apples to steak. College will never have a system as cut and dry as the pros. The numbers won't allow it.

Oh yeah I’m sorry I’m spent on this subject.

It’ll be even more awesome when UGa loses to Texas and Alabama rolls next week. Will be sure to bump.

I kinda expect UGA to lose to Texas after that heartbreaking Bama loss. Teams typically don't show well in these spots historically and UGA will be without Baker who is going to get ready for the draft. Just look at Michigan this weekend after the OSU loss and guys sitting out.

In sports that have a huge disparity in talent, the playoffs should be limited. If there is parity, then a larger playoff makescsense. If the purpose is to crown a champion, it is silly to have an expansive playoff. If the purpose is to have prolonged entertainment, then you have the NBA playoffs.

In sports that have a huge disparity in talent, the playoffs should be limited. If there is parity, then a larger playoff makescsense. If the purpose is to crown a champion, it is silly to have an expansive playoff. If the purpose is to have prolonged entertainment, then you have the NBA playoffs.
When Saban leaves Alabama their will be leveling off.
Clemson can be beaten.
Alabama has a college Belichick. He can recruit and knows how to prepare the team and not to waste his advantages.
If you put a good coach like Chris Peterson at Alabama they wouldn’t have 5 NCs since 2010.
Once Saban retires college football will become more parity as stupid coaches can waste talent.
See Les Miles at LSU or Steve Spurrier at Florida.

Clemson can be beaten.
Alabama has a college Belichick. He can recruit and knows how to prepare the team and not to waste his advantages.
If you put a good coach like Chris Peterson at Alabama they wouldn’t have 5 NCs since 2010.
Once Saban retires college football will become more parity as stupid coaches can waste talent.

Yeah we’ve collectively forgotten that the head coach of Alabama at one time was Mike Shula.

Clemson can be beaten.

1. Has there ever been parity?

2. My point is the top 2-3 teams are typically way better than the 6-9 teams every year. So why let teams 6-8 join the party if they are just sacrificial lambs 98% of the time?

IMO the majority of the NBA playoffs is a waste of time. Since expanding to 8 seeds in 1984 (35 seasons) there have been 70 teams in the NBA Finals. Of those 82.9% were 1 or 2 seeds. Adding in the 3 seed you get 92.9% and 97.1% with the 4 seed. What is the point in evening having seeds 5-8 if they have made 2.9% of the NBA Finals? I don’t want that for college football. The Knicks making it as an 8 seed does not justify the other 69 teams making it as an 8 seed.

Imagine if the NBA just allowed the three divisional winners and a playin game vs two wildcard teams? Everybody would be on pins and needles the entire season. The divisions would actually mean something again. I bet most millennials don’t even know what an Atlantic division is.

That is a trust my eyes type argument. The college football playoff is built on resumes and ensuring potential national champions are included. It's designed to have the most deserving teams, not the most talented teams.

In a year where a team people think a potential National Champion team (Georgia) has been left out, I do not understand how you can say that 4 (or 2) is the right number when 6 or 8 gets every potential national champion in the field.

The reason to go to 6 is that the 1 and 2 seeds get byes and would allow them the same amount of rest as they get now while also preventing their opponent from focusing their game-planning on them. That is the only playoff that gives a benefit to being the 1 or 2 seed and, thus, giving the best opportunity to crown a winner of the best team.

This year, UCF would be the argument for being left out, but you'd have Notre Dame vs. Ohio State and Georgia vs. Oklahoma. Whether they become sacrifical lambs for the top 2 seeds, no one knows since nearly everyone has said OSU beats ND and UGA beats OU. Last year, you would have had Wisconsin vs. Georgia and Alabama vs. Ohio State to meet Clemson and Oklahoma.

1. Has there ever been parity?

2. My point is the top 2-3 teams are typically way better than the 6-9 teams every year. So why let teams 6-8 join the party if they are just sacrificial lambs 98% of the time?

IMO the majority of the NBA playoffs is a waste of time. Since expanding to 8 seeds in 1984 (35 seasons) there have been 70 teams in the NBA Finals. Of those 82.9% were 1 or 2 seeds. Adding in the 3 seed you get 92.9% and 97.1% with the 4 seed. What is the point in evening having seeds 5-8 if they have made 2.9% of the NBA Finals? I don’t want that for college football. The Knicks making it as an 8 seed does not justify the other 69 teams making it as an 8 seed.

Imagine if the NBA just allowed the three divisional winners and a playin game vs two wildcard teams? Everybody would be on pins and needles the entire season. The divisions would actually mean something again. I bet most millennials don’t even know what an Atlantic division is.
There was parity in a sense that one program didn’t nominate every single year to the degree Alabama has.
They are a better version New England Patriots in college football.
Patriots have 8 Super Appearances in 18 years and 8 AFC title games in a row.
Alabama is basically even better.
Once Belichick and Saban go out the sport will still be top heavy it just won’t be Alabama every single year.

Good lord I can’t stand college football traditionalists.
You can't stand traditionalists? That's all that Rutgers can hang their hat on. That's all they can talk about on their site. :p

Every FBS conference champion should get an auto bid to a playoff. Let the conferences dictate how those champions are crowned.

Then give six at-large bids.

Then do a 16-team playoff with the first four seeds getting double byes, seeds 5-8 getting a single bye.

It gives power to the little guys with the auto bid commitment, gives power to big guys with the seeding and byes (and the first two rounds could be at the better-seeded team’s field even) and it gives the fans four weeks of playoff football.
Disagree with giving power to the little guys. Look at March Madness. There are no-name teams from no-name conferences whose auto bids take bids away from schools who are willing to invest resources into their programs.

There is a big difference between a 32 team league that plays 16 regular season games where you play a double round robin in your division and a bunch of interdivisional games where records determine everything and a "league" with 120+ teams (or even a league that is still twice as big when only considering the power 5) where there is so little cross over play between conferences (even between divisions within a conference) and many of the top teams don't have the chance to play each other until a committee sets it up within a playoff format. Comparing NFL to college organizationally is apples to steak. College will never have a system as cut and dry as the pros. The numbers won't allow it.

When you don't have teams playing each other constantly, you need a larger playoff because you don't know how the teams match-up with each other.

When you don't have teams playing each other constantly, you need a larger playoff because you don't know how the teams match-up with each other.
Agreed. An 8 team playoff would be ideal. You get all the real contenders without watering it down.

Anyone watching the game?

How is the UGA punter not called down when he caught the ball, his knee was on the ground before he got up and punted the ball?

Texas should challenge the call on the field.
Edit - they just got it right.

Here’s the narrative with UGA:

If they win tonight there will be people that will claim that as further evidence they should have been in the CFP

If they lose, those same people will claim they weren’t motivated to play in a non-CFP consolation game

BTW, neither argument is valid

Give me an 8 team with the 5 P5 champs, the top group of 5 school if ranked in the top 15 and then 2/3 wild cards.

Here’s the narrative with UGA:

If they win tonight there will be people that will claim that as further evidence they should have been in the CFP

If they lose, those same people will claim they weren’t motivated to play in a non-CFP consolation game

BTW, neither argument is valid

But - if you’re going to hold Notre Dame’s performance against them, you HAVE TO hold Georgia’s against them to be consistent.

People aren’t consistent, they cherry pick the data that fits their beliefs and ignore/minimize data that doesn’t. Create a system which eliminates/minimizes that bias like every other legitimate sport does - eliminate divisions, top two conference teams play championship, power five winners automatically in. Three wildcards - which will be subjective, but if you are left out, you had a clear path to get included but didn’t win your way in. No crying allowed.

I hate the current playoff; if it wasn’t obvious Clemson and Alabama are way ahead of everyone else so the last two spots are kinda pointless right now, I’d hate it even more.

I kinda expect UGA to lose to Texas after that heartbreaking Bama loss. Teams typically don't show well in these spots historically and UGA will be without Baker who is going to get ready for the draft. Just look at Michigan this weekend after the OSU loss and guys sitting out.

Good call!

That’s right. The system is broken. Go back to 2 teams then. When the “play in game” consists of opponents named Pitt, Texas, Alabama, and nobody, that inequitable and there’s no denying it. Go to 2 or 8 or get rid of the CCG. Okie doesn’t get in if they had to play bama in a CCG. ND doesn’t get in if they had to play bama in a CCG. Georgia gets in if they had to play Pitt, Texas or nobody.
It's not a play in game. If Pitt beat Clemson, Pitt is not going to the play-off. Same for Texas. Or Northwestern.
Those games are just extended regular season games. Just win, baby.

But - if you’re going to hold Notre Dame’s performance against them, you HAVE TO hold Georgia’s against them to be consistent.

People aren’t consistent, they cherry pick the data that fits their beliefs and ignore/minimize data that doesn’t. Create a system which eliminates/minimizes that bias like every other legitimate sport does - eliminate divisions, top two conference teams play championship, power five winners automatically in. Three wildcards - which will be subjective, but if you are left out, you had a clear path to get included but didn’t win your way in. No crying allowed.

I hate the current playoff; if it wasn’t obvious Clemson and Alabama are way ahead of everyone else so the last two spots are kinda pointless right now, I’d hate it even more.
All American sports have divisions. Better teams, in any one year, get left out due to that.
Truth be told, it really matters not: it's just entertainment.

All American sports have divisions. Better teams, in any one year, get left out due to that.
Truth be told, it really matters not: it's just entertainment.

Divisions in college conferences are stupid, the conference is effectively a division. My bigger issue is that we’re stuck in a division playing Wake Forest and NCState every year, while school we have a long history with like Miami and Va Tech we play once every six years. It’s like they are effectively non-conference opponents.

I remember watching them show highlights of old Va Tech - Syracuse games when we played them a couple years ago; the entire broadcast was like a demonstration of the stupidity of divisions.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DTCSEC

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom