Up 17-0... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Up 17-0...

i don't know why i'm bothering but i'm sure you don't apply this logic consistently.

if a team scores after a punt on 4th and 99 from your own one yard line, it's a mistake to punt it?

Your analogy is silly and doesn't deserve a response. You want to come back to reality and talk about realistic situations fine. You are going to go on a fringe and make up silly situations that don't exist and never will I don't have the time for the games

Personally, I think that Dino and staff should have some sort of futuristic time machine that would tell them whether or not going for it on 4th down will work or not. That way it will work every time and people won't selectively criticize it only when it doesn't work, completely ignoring the times that it does work and actually helps us build a lead.

Personally, I think that Dino and staff should have some sort of futuristic time machine that would tell them whether or not going for it on 4th down will work or not. That way it will work every time and people won't selectively criticize it only when it doesn't work, completely ignoring the times that it does work and actually helps us build a lead.

Game situation matters. When you have a double digit lead and things are going your way, you play it safe. You kick it away and you manage the game. You don't take unnecessary risks.

When you are losing and trying to energize your team and change momentum...yeah sure go for it. Try to change it up.

It's really not that complicated and its Football Coaching 101

Your analogy is silly and doesn't deserve a response. You want to come back to reality and talk about realistic situations fine. You are going to go on a fringe and make up silly situations that don't exist and never will I don't have the time for the games
I did that so it would be obvious

You can get the probabilities correct and get a bad result.

Voluntarily giving the ball to the other team is the opposite of playing it safe.

Punting the ball and pinning them deep in their own territory while you have a double digit lead is playing it safe.

I just watched Washington "play it safe" by punting from the Dallas 36. A few minutes later it was 10 - 0 Dallas.

I just watched Washington "play it safe" by punting from the Dallas 36. A few minutes later it was 10 - 0 Dallas.

Sounds like the game situation wasn't the same as yesterday. Washington wasn't up by double digits. That's the entire point.

But whatever, SU got creamed yesterday but keep defending the decisions

Well he played the odds, USF scored on a 92 yard drive the following drive. He doesnt' trust his defense. This isn't brain surgery. I didnt even think twice about that 4th and 3. Would have been shocked if he didnt go for it. I think you better get yourself mentally prepared for a much more aggressive, progressive style from our head guy.
The thing is... the day will come when Babers has a defense he trusts.

And he's still going for it on 4th down.

Get used to it, comrades.

Game situation matters. When you have a double digit lead and things are going your way, you play it safe. You kick it away and you manage the game. You don't take unnecessary risks.

When you are losing and trying to energize your team and change momentum...yeah sure go for it. Try to change it up.

Obviously I think you are completely wrong, but nothing I say is going to change that, so agree to disagree.

AZOrange said:
Man I'm all in on this. I honestly don't get the handwringing for the 3-yards and a cloud of dust crowd.
Because it isn't the way they were taught football is supposed to be played. They are risk averse. Probably don't invest much in equities, preferring savings bonds and CDs.

Stern said:
Game situation matters. When you have a double digit lead and things are going your way, you play it safe. You kick it away and you manage the game. You don't take unnecessary risks. When you are losing and trying to energize your team and change momentum...yeah sure go for it. Try to change it up. It's really not that complicated and its Football Coaching 101
Yeah, because it's easy to burn up 45 minutes of game clock going 3 and out on 3 yard runs and punting.

if we are ever in this position again I wonder if we could slow it down given how deplete and just bad the d is... I recognize Babers want to go fast but he needs to win some games and right now going fast at 17-0 isn't goibg to work. Do we have a 5 minute offenses or if south Florida has time will the offense stop working?

He said in the post game that he went for a lot of 4th downs primarily because he thought we'd need the points. "Slow down" is not in his lexicon.

Its not about being afraid of 4th down, up 10 points 4th and 3 on your own 45, is not the time to go for it.

It is if you think your D doesn't match up with the other team very well.

It is if you think your D doesn't match up with the other team very well.

Then go for it on every fourth down, if your defense is that bad, you can't play the game that way. You have a ten point lead, and have only given up 7 points so far, punt it and play field position.

He said in the post game that he went for a lot of 4th downs primarily because he thought we'd need the points. "Slow down" is not in his lexicon.

If he thought he needed the points, maybe he shouldn't have ran the ball 3 straight times before the controversial 4th down call.

If he thought he needed the points, maybe he shouldn't have ran the ball 3 straight times before the controversial 4th down call.

I don't think you understand this system. If they run it, it's due to the numbers in the box. The throws won't be there - especially with superior talent. We were avg enough per run to get the 1st down on the ground.

The axe you're grinding is getting worn down.

Then go for it on every fourth down, if your defense is that bad, you can't play the game that way. You have a ten point lead, and have only given up 7 points so far, punt it and play field position.

At one point the sacrifice bunt was supposed to be a smart play.

Everyone looks at the bad result...but what if we made the 4th down? What if we go up 24-0. maybe it deflates USF even more and they don't get that quick possession. Maybe we are up 24-21 at the half. Maybe even 24-14...who knows. It's easy to say we should've played it safe with a double digit lead. But have you been watching college football the last few years. A double digit lead is the same as a field goal lead. Anything under 3 scores can easily be overcome.

Analytics consistently say the same thing - it almost always makes sense to go for it on fourth. A large amount of the time (especially in short yardage situations), you will get the first down. But even if you don't, punting wouldn't give you the advantage many think it would. It may seem strange, but the safest thing to do is give your team the chance to advance. Coaches are reluctant to act on this as being wrong while going for it looks reckless, while being wrong and punting appears to be the smart move.

Now if both teams regularly went for it on fourth, I don't know how this would influence the data. On one hand, it would seem to be even more important to do everything possible to avoid the opposing team getting possession. On the other hand, if you know the other team probably won't punt in a fourth down situation, it may smart to pin them back as far as possible to give yourself the chance to get stops. Food for thought.

People are still freaking out about this play? Bunch of hypocrites. Unreal. Get over it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom