Urgent: Orange Bowl Changes that are good for ACC | Syracusefan.com

Urgent: Orange Bowl Changes that are good for ACC

arbitragegls

All Conference
Just heard from source a bit ahead of what is to come out:
1. The Orange Bowl will now be prime time on either 12/31 or 1/1--better viewership
2. B1g and SEC will have at least 3 Orange Bowl appearances in 12 year cycle
3. Notre Dame will have 2 maximum appearances.

What is good about this is that first, viewership and when Orange Bowl is broadcasted, will be an EXCLUSIVE PRIME TIME GAME--significant elevation in viewership from early afternoon game indicated previously.
Secondly, it appears that the B1g and SEC are going to be our competitors more so than Notre Dame. This may hamper our upside on Orange Bowl dollars, but will surely provide terrific competition for the ACC and the Orange Bowl.

I believe this is all good...for 'Cuse and the ACC!

Just heard from source a bit ahead of what is to come out:
1. The Orange Bowl will now be prime time on either 12/31 or 1/1--better viewership
2. B1g and SEC will have at least 3 Orange Bowl appearances in 12 year cycle
3. Notre Dame will have 2 maximum appearances.

What is good about this is that first, viewership and when Orange Bowl is broadcasted, will be an EXCLUSIVE PRIME TIME GAME--significant elevation in viewership from early afternoon game indicated previously.
Secondly, it appears that the B1g and SEC are going to be our competitors more so than Notre Dame. This may hamper our upside on Orange Bowl dollars, but will surely provide terrific competition for the ACC and the Orange Bowl.

I believe this is all good...for 'Cuse and the ACC!

#2 and #3 will be interesting to follow since in 4 of those 12 years, the OB will be a semi-final game, meaning the cycle is really 8 times over 12 years. Since ND doesn't have any minimum number of appearances and the SEC and BiG don't have any maximum number of appearances and since it is also being reported that the OB must take the highest ranked team option between the three, what contingency prevents something like this from happening:

1st game in the cycle - SEC, ND, Big Ten (SEC team must be taken)
2nd game in the cycle - SEC, Big Ten, ND (SEC team must be taken)
3rd game in cycle - Big Ten, ND, SEC (Big Ten team must be taken)
4th game in cycle - SEC, Big Ten, ND (SEC team must be taken, minimum met)
5th game in cycle - SEC, ND, Big Ten (SEC team gets taken since no maximum)
6th game in cycle - ND, SEC, Big Ten (Big Ten team must be taken since minimum not met)
7th game in cycle - ND, SEC, Big Ten (Big Ten team must be taken since minimum not met)
8th game in cycle - SEC, Big Ten, ND (SEC team gets taken since no maximum)

I'm just saying this OB contract gets stranger and stranger. :confused:

Cheers,
Neil

12/31 would be bad, imo.

Would be interesting to compare and contrast tv ratings for 12/31 evening bowls games with noon or 1 pm bowl games on 1/1.

But as I understand it the Rose is "locked in" to the 4 pm start on 1/1. So to be exclusive on 12/31 or 1/1 in the evening, that means we would be bumping heads with the Sugar for the most favorable slot and I think we know who wins out in most of those match-ups.

Cheers,
Neil

Would be interesting to compare and contrast tv ratings for 12/31 evening bowls games with noon or 1 pm bowl games on 1/1.

But as I understand it the Rose is "locked in" to the 4 pm start on 1/1. So to be exclusive on 12/31 or 1/1 in the evening, that means we would be bumping heads with the Sugar for the most favorable slot and I think we know who wins out in most of those match-ups.

Cheers,
Neil
Understood, but the problem with 12/31 prime time, is well, it's 12/31 - New Year's Eve and not many people are watching football on NYE. There is a reason the big bowls always played on 1/1, until they messed it up, imo. The Orange Bowl was traditionally the night game on 1/1. An 8:00 p.m. start would not bump heads with the Sugar Bowl.

Cheers,
Neil
understand...but,but...check out the word EXCLUSIVE...doesnt that mean no other BCS game being played during that time??

understand...but,but...check out the word EXCLUSIVE...doesnt that mean no other BCS game being played during that time??

Looking into it, the Peach has had the exclusive 7:30 slot on New Year's Eve for at least a couple of years now. It's ratings are consistently lower than the best 1 pm game on 1/1 that has usually two other games going against it.

Cheers,
Neil

Looking into it, the Peach has had the exclusive 7:30 slot on New Year's Eve for at least a couple of years now. It's ratings are consistently lower than the best 1 pm game on 1/1 that has usually two other games going against it.

Cheers,
Neil
Neil, thanks...interested in your findings.

Neil, thanks...interested in your findings.

Last three years:

Peach - FSU vs. So. Car 5.02
Outback - Fla vs PSU 7.05, Citrus - Mich State vs Alabama 3.69, Gator - Michigan vs Miss. St 1.71

Peach - VT vs Tenn 4.90
Citrus - LSU vs PSU 6.83, Outback - Iowa vs So. Car 4.06, Gator - WVU vs FSU 3.95

Peach - GT vs LSU 3.90* (this technically not exclusive NFL Network had 6 pm start of Insight Kansas vs Minnesota)
Citrus - Georgia vs Mich State 6.40, Gator - Nebraska vs Clemson 4.10, Outback - Iowa vs. So. Car 3.10

Cheers,
Neil

The Sugar Bowl has signed on as the primetime game on 1/1 every year. So if the OB is on 1/1 it will have to be at 1 pm or so. Otherwise it will be a night game on 12/31 I'm assuming. ESPN isn't paying a half a billion dollars every year for these games for them to go head-to-head

Last three years:

Peach - FSU vs. So. Car 5.02
Outback - Fla vs PSU 7.05, Citrus - Mich State vs Alabama 3.69, Gator - Michigan vs Miss. St 1.71

Peach - VT vs Tenn 4.90
Citrus - LSU vs PSU 6.83, Outback - Iowa vs So. Car 4.06, Gator - WVU vs FSU 3.95

Peach - GT vs LSU 3.90* (this technically not exclusive NFL Network had 6 pm start of Insight Kansas vs Minnesota)
Citrus - Georgia vs Mich State 6.40, Gator - Nebraska vs Clemson 4.10, Outback - Iowa vs. So. Car 3.10

Cheers,
Neil

So it makes me wonder, is this data bad?

It's always better than the other Jan 1, 1 pm games. And I think someone is going to dominate 1 pm Jan 1, there's just too much tradition there.

You figure Orange Bowl, by name, could outdraw Chick Fil-A Bowl. Viewed as a major bowl, versus Chick Fil-A which is considered 2nd tier.

Just spitballing. Other option is Jan 2, if that's still allowed. SEC and B1G would want the best time possible, they have skin in the game as well.

The Sugar Bowl has signed on as the primetime game on 1/1 every year. So if the OB is on 1/1 it will have to be at 1 pm or so. Otherwise it will be a night game on 12/31 I'm assuming. ESPN isn't paying a half a billion dollars every year for these games for them to go head-to-head

I think the OB will be at 1pm on 1/1.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Per Dennis Dodd, OB New Year's Eve unless two Host Bowls are the semi-finals, in which case OB goes to 1/1 at 1 pm.

This pretty much confirms that the Rose and Sugar will be semi-final games in the SAME year.

Cheers,
Neil

I agree. 12/31 is not a good day.

I recall the Sugar Bowl being played on New Year's Eve.

ND defeats Alabama to win the NC - I think in 1973?

I don't know. I think people like to watch TV Football on holidays.

Nothing to get worked up about. I've been following SU football for almost 50 years. We've played in the Orange Bowl once.

Now, don't get me wrong, I hope SU plays in the Orange 5 times in the next 15 years.

There's nothing inherrently bad about a game being in prime time on New Year's Eve.

People have a multitude of ways to follow a game these days.

It's not 1982.

the sugar bowl had some of the biggest games of 70's on 12/31.. the ala/psu game in 1975 was a classic. and the ND/ALa game in 73 was huge as well.

get good teams and thats actually a good night as most people dont really party til midnight and those that don't go out are bored with TV that night.

There's nothing inherrently bad about a game being in prime time on New Year's Eve.

It's not 1982.

Didn't we play a Fiesta Bowl game against Kansas State on New Year's Eve, back in 1997? I don't remember it being that big of a deal. I still watched. I still drank. I still watched football the whole next day with a giant headache (it takes me 10X the amount of advil of regular head sized humans).

Didn't we play a Fiesta Bowl game against Kansas State on New Year's Eve, back in 1997? I don't remember it being that big of a deal. I still watched. I still drank. I still watched football the whole next day with a giant headache (it takes me 10X the amount of advil of regular head sized humans).

Yep, sure did. It was great, I watched it with a ton of SU buddies at a NYE party in Boston.

We just signed a TWELVE YEAR deal people. The ratings won't affect that.

Yup, we did. I was at the game. Remember losing, feeling lousy, getting back to the hotel and being too washed out to celebrate the New Year's.

It's not 1982.

Follow yes, really focus on, no. Most people make New Years Eve plans which don't include huddled around a TV watching a football game. Is it a killer? No. But it sure isn't optimum. New years day is far far better. But I think the OB will be New Years day anyways. If they move it to New Years eve night, that's a dumb decision.

Yep, sure did. It was great, I watched it with a ton of SU buddies at a NYE party in Boston.

We just signed a TWELVE YEAR deal people. The ratings won't affect that.
With NYE games, you'll get a nebulous ratings vs. eyeballs debate going. If exclusive, every New Year's party in the country will have the game on somewhere during the early portion. You won't have the hung over couch potatoes glued to the set like you would the next day, but more people will be taking a peek. Then it's up to how good the game is whether they stick around or head to the other room to see who's replacing Dick Clark.

The problem for fans (actual, not casual) is if the game time cuts it too close to the countdown.

Yup, we did. I was at the game. Remember losing, feeling lousy, getting back to the hotel and being too washed out to celebrate the New Year's.

Thankfully when we get back there, we'll have learned how to lose gracefully. Won't ruin my NYE. But I do remember me being a bit of a downer when we lost in 97. Remind me to buy GRob a drink, and only throw half of it in his face. He can enjoy the rest of it.