USA Today posts NCAA Tournament coaches' salaries: Jim Boeheim earns | Syracusefan.com

USA Today posts NCAA Tournament coaches' salaries: Jim Boeheim earns

wow, coach k made almost 7x more than JB, thats cray cray

wow, coach k made almost 7x more than JB, thats cray cray

$7.2 / $1.9 = almost 4x

Just saying.

What the market will bear. More power to them all.

Just as long as those eeeeevil CEO's don't make too much.

;)

$7.2 / $1.9 = almost 4x

Just saying.

What the market will bear. More power to them all.

Just as long as those eeeeevil CEO's don't make too much.

;)

Well, in both cases, the employees are underpaid.

Private universities have to report compensation of their five "highest paid" employees on some federal tax form. Therefore, at the six schools with no data, the coaches must not be among the top five highest paid. They have all the public school numbers because they are a matter of public record.

Private universities have to report compensation of their five "highest paid" employees on some federal tax form. Therefore, at the six schools with no data, the coaches must not be among the top five highest paid. They have all the public school numbers because they are a matter of public record.

Yeah, that would make sense with Jim Crews at SLU, as he was an interim head coach and may not have been making much more beyond his assistant coach salary.

Like I said, what the market will bear. If the employees are underpaid, they are free to take their talents to another employer who will pay them more.

Obviously it doesn't matter where they take their talents if they're playing college basketball. As for the corporate workforce, obviously it's not that simple because a lot of corporations are doing the same thing.

Thank you!
I'd forgotten that filing requirement and was wondering how they'd gottten the figures for private schools.

Obviously it doesn't matter where they take their talents if they're playing college basketball.

Oh, but it does indeed matter. That is why 5-star recruits don't end up playing for LeMoyne, or Oswego State. They are in essence getting deferred pay by playing at an NBA-visible program, and hoping to make the pros where they will make megabux, or mega-megabux. You can't realistically do that by playing for LeMoyne.

As for the corporate workforce, obviously it's not that simple because a lot of corporations are doing the same thing.

What same thing?

Oh, but it does indeed matter. That is why 5-star recruits don't end up playing for LeMoyne, or Oswego State. They are in essence getting deferred pay by playing at an NBA-visible program, and hoping to make the pros where they will make megabux, or mega-megabux. You can't realistically do that by playing for LeMoyne.

Uh, no. Unless rules are broken (and they are), they're not getting paid. And that's not what you said to begin with.

Uh, no. Unless rules are broken (and they are), they're not getting paid. And that's not what you said to begin with.

Incorrect, my mysoginistic friend. You just have to expand the idea of "getting paid" beyond the limited notion of simply receiving a physical paycheck.

What's Kevin Ware getting out of this? http://www.sbnation.com/2013/4/3/4179804/kevin-ware-louisville-t-shirt

And again, that wasn't your original point.

Kevin Ware is getting an education at a respected institution that is worth upwards of $200,000. He is also getting fame, notoriety, and contacts which, properly applied, should help him a great deal in his career, whatever that may end up being.

And all this was my original point. Please stop trying to change it.

Obviously it doesn't matter where they take their talents if they're playing college basketball. As for the corporate workforce, obviously it's not that simple because a lot of corporations are doing the same thing.

I agree with you on college athletes being underpaid. People that think a free education is fair compensation are choosing to believe free markets are evil, and allowing universities to exploit kids is somehow noble. Idiotic.

As far as business, I'm not sure you're actually up on how free markets/supply and demand actually work. Lots of corporation pay similar salaries since that's the market price. I buy a can of beans in Indiana or in upstate New York for the same price, nobody thinks its unfair. I pay an engineer in Indiana the same as one in upstate New York, obviously it's because their a conspiracy to underpay people. Idiotic.

Kevin Ware is getting an education at a respected institution that is worth upwards of $200,000. He is also getting fame, notoriety, and contacts which, properly applied, should help him a great deal in his career, whatever that may end up being.

And all this was my original point. Please stop trying to change it.

That's a non-answer. What do the T-shirts have to do with anything you just said? The school and a shoe company are profiting off of Ware's injury.

This was your original point:
If the employees are underpaid, they are free to take their talents to another employer who will pay them more.

I agree with you on college athletes being underpaid. People that think a free education is fair compensation are choosing to believe free markets are evil, and allowing universities to exploit kids is somehow noble. Idiotic.

As far as business, I'm not sure you're actually up on how free markets/supply and demand actually work. Lots of corporation pay similar salaries since that's the market price. I buy a can of beans in Indiana or in upstate New York for the same price, nobody thinks its unfair. I pay an engineer in Indiana the same as one in upstate New York, obviously it's because their a conspiracy to underpay people. Idiotic.

I'm not talking about conspiracies, I'm talking about trends. Bringing in contractors or outsourcing jobs over full-time positions. Cutting back on hours to eliminate benefits. Taking away bonuses and freezing salaries. Never bringing those bonuses back and keeping salaries where they are in spite of the profits. Laying off long-time employees so you don't have to give them raises. And for what? So the CEOs can keep the money for themselves.

More and more companies are doing this because they can get away with it. Not because they're conspiring, but because they're copying.

That's a non-answer. What do the T-shirts have to do with anything you just said? The school and a shoe company are profiting off of Ware's injury.

This was your original point:

Pay comes in many forms. If I am an NBA prospect, Louisville will "pay" me more than LeMoyne because I'll have a much better chance to make the NBA. Not while I am there, but in future potential earnings.

As for the Tshirts, make the NBA, and see how much you can make in endorsements. Michael Jordan's salary from the Bulls paled in comparison to what he made from Nike. Until then, the money made on the Tshirts is used for the benefit of UL.

Pay comes in many forms. If I am an NBA prospect, Louisville will "pay" me more than LeMoyne because I'll have a much better chance to make the NBA. Not while I am there, but in future potential earnings.

As for the Tshirts, make the NBA, and see how much you can make in endorsements. Michael Jordan's salary from the Bulls paled in comparison to what he made from Nike. Until then, the money made on the Tshirts is used for the benefit of UL.
but he might not make the NBA. so why is the university allowed to profit greatly off his injury?

but he might not make the NBA. so why is the university allowed to profit greatly off his injury?

That is the investment decision made by the player - the athlete "invests" his time at a university, and has two possible payoffs - 1) a pro career, or 2) a degree and the recognition/experience.

Who is supposed to profit off these shirts? The player? No. That is the deal going in. There is no real difference in the revenue from the shirts or from the TV contracts or the ticket sales. You can't pay the athletes based on revenues.

What I can see is universities giving a very modest stipend to cover basic expenses - maybe $1000/month. This would hopefully mitigate the temptation to take under the table money from agents or boosters, and help relieve the financial pressure on the athletes, many who come from impoverished backgrounds. It would be like work-study. Other students make a wage washing dishes, working in the library, etc. Pay the athletes an hourly wage for practice and game time.

He'll be able to endorse any local product/ do paid appearances in Louisville for the next 25 years, moreso now with his storyline

That is the investment decision made by the player - the athlete "invests" his time at a university, and has two possible payoffs - 1) a pro career, or 2) a degree and the recognition/experience.

Who is supposed to profit off these shirts? The player? No. That is the deal going in. There is no real difference in the revenue from the shirts or from the TV contracts or the ticket sales. You can't pay the athletes based on revenues.

What I can see is universities giving a very modest stipend to cover basic expenses - maybe $1000/month. This would hopefully mitigate the temptation to take under the table money from agents or boosters, and help relieve the financial pressure on the athletes, many who come from impoverished backgrounds. It would be like work-study. Other students make a wage washing dishes, working in the library, etc. Pay the athletes an hourly wage for practice and game time.
Yes. The player should be profitting off his likeness. Johnny Manziel's Heisman season was valued at over 100m for Texas Tech. That player deserves at least some of that. If you are selling a jersey with a specific number on it, then you are profitting off that player's likeness.

The O'bannon case gained a huge bargaining chip today as Louisville claimed that they are making no money from those shirts and admitted they were Kevin Ware related. The NCAA is trying to prove that numbers mean nothing.