USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

Culture has zero to do with this.
Its content, geographic footprint, eyeballs, Brands.
That would give them Virginia and North Carolina. The South is built on cultural tradition, FYI.

UW, Oregon, Colorado and Arizona are valuable and viable. ASU and Utah are also decent assets.
Not the LA TV market. That's all this is about. The LA TV market dwarfs every other school you mentioned above

That would give them Virginia and North Carolina. The South is built on cultural tradition, FYI.
Tell that to Oklahoma and Texas

The ACC’s arrogance has put them in this position. They have never been forward thinking and are always two steps behind. They should go after ND, Penn State, Maryland and Northwestern. I doubt any of those teams want to send their sports teams traveling all over the country. ND and Northwestern give us Chicago’s market. ESPN will still need programming. They would be smart to put out a number if the ACC picks up these schools.

Not the LA TV market. That's all this is about. The LA TV market dwarfs every other school you mentioned above
Sure, but the states of Washington, Arizona and Colorado are not South Dakota, Montana and Wyoming, they are very large and growing states. Oregon has Knight, who has spent billions there. I think the B1G's next move is to go after Stanford and that will pull Notre Dame in. Then they would take AU, OU and UW and possibly Kansas.

Merge the SEC and ACC. Split them into two divisions. Relegation like soccer. Alabama and Clemson fight it out for nattys while we hope to beat Vandy and Wake to go up a level. Watching teams like South Carolina and FSU worried about dropping down a division would make more games exciting late in the season

Next thing to watch is if schools get whacked like the Big East did to Temple way back when.

e777a4fda96876dc2a3bfdbc8c1beed9.jpg

Last edited:
will the Rose Bowl be a conference game now?
Not sure, but I’m guessing the 1st Michigan-USC regular season game will have better ratings than the Final 4.

The football Gods have spoken, every other sport is absolutely useless in the grand scheme of things.

I have an Idea, we could get … like ….. try to follow me here , SU, Pitt, WVa , Md, BC , Navy, PSU and a few more and have an unofficial group that play every year. We could call them ECAC I independents .

If it really is all driven by the Networks… That makes me feel pretty good. I think Cuse knows a guy or two at ESPN.

I also think enough content is wanted by consumers to support 50-60 top tier teams. I think we fit in that top tier. Not sure how or when it all takes shape, but, we’ll be fine. We’re not dumping a quarter bill into the AD to go Patriot League.

This feels like another first type domino before seismic shifts. Interesting and exciting for me, not nostalgic anymore since the Big East was gutted. That was painful to watch, this isn’t.
Yep. Live content is very important and we have a ton of fans with not a lot of competition in the region (basketball more so than FB).

I don’t trust the arrogance and greed of the SEC and B1G, but have touch more faith in ESPN (more of a measured greed lol)

Next thing to watch is if schools get whacked like the Big East did to Temple way back when.
I don’t think so, I think every move has been been choreographed from the getgo.

Some schools are born with a silver spoon (Vandy, NW) others got in by beach front property (R, Maryland).

I will be fascinated to see what Notre Dame does in reaction to these developments.

We know that the last ACC GOR includes a provision that says if ND joins a conference for football before 2036, it must be the ACC.

So ND has two choices.

1) Stay independent and wait until the ACC GOR expires in 2036

or

2) Join the ACC for football

If they stay independent, they face a world where their main competitors will be making over $100 millions a year. Now ND's contract with NBC expires soon (2025 I think). They surely will get a bump. They currently get $15 million a year. Maybe that bumps up to $30 million in 2026? There is no way they are going to get anywhere near the $100 million plus B1G and SEC schools are expected to be getting.

So they would have a huge funding disadvantage over B1G and SEC schools for more than a decade staying independent.

Or they could join the ACC for football. There have been many reports that if ND joined the ACC for football, it would re-open the Disney TV contract and trigger a huge increase in revenue for all ACC schools.

How much? ACC schools got around $39 million in revenue last year. I would guess that number would go up to around $70 million.

If they jjoin the ACC for football, they would get a lot more money until the ACC GOR expires in 2036. At that time, they could then go to the highest bidder and make a lot more money.

Do you stay independent until 2036 and turn down $400 million?

Some ND fans love to say ND is a special school where money is not the bottom line and other factors are more important.

And maybe they have made choices that left a few million on the table.

If the powers that be at ND leave hundreds of millions of dollars on the table now to remain independent until 2036, I will be impressed.

Of course, as soon as the ACC GOR expires (or probably a couple of years before), they are going to cash in and give up their independence. The only question is, will they wait until around 2034 or pull the trigger this summer?

Would not be surprised if ND decides to join the ACC for football, the ACC also addsStanford (a team ND has played regularly in football) and Cal to add more markets, more time zones and more money to the contract. That all assumes those schools are still available and that Disney would pay a premium to get them in the ACC.

This is an interesting time for college athletics. Wouldn't it be funny if the most recent B1G money grab ends up forcing ND's hand and convincing them to join the ACC for football?

Stranger things have happened. Rutgers is in the B1G...

I don’t think so, I think every move has been been choreographed from the getgo.

Some schools are born with a silver spoon (Vandy, NW) others got in by beach front property (R, Maryland).

Everything changes so quickly now that nothing would surprise me.

Vandy/NW gave legitimacy to academics. No one cares anymore.

Rutgers/Maryland gave access to cable boxes. Pretty sure that's becoming a relic too.

The brand names that attract eyeballs are all the value now. Guessing they have enough data on each DMA and what teams bring the highest ratings to build the empires properly.

Or maybe they just go 2 X 32 and full on world domination.

Couple thoughts, trying to be completely unbiased.

1- Relegation is impossible in college sports. Kids get recruited to go to schools, it is not transfer and free agency based. Relegation isn’t happening

2- let’s list teams that immediately I think are less value than Syracuse. (Wake forest, duke, bc, Pitt, Louisville).

3- This is about viewers and markets. Not about what have you done for me lately. This is a long term solution type of thing. They are not going to take a wake forest who has been good recently but doesn’t bring viewers and small enrollment.

4- think about markets confrences want to get into (recruiting, viewership, fanbase, marketing). I am worried. We are not a top 20 program in the country. But I still think we are decently positioned. They are going to require enough teams for content. I get cutting out the dead weight. I don’t think Syracuse is viewed as dead weight though. Yes, our sports have dwindled the last couple years but again, this is long term view.

Merge the SEC and ACC. Split them into two divisions. Relegation like soccer. Alabama and Clemson fight it out for nattys while we hope to beat Vandy and Wake to go up a level. Watching teams like South Carolina and FSU worried about dropping down a division would make more games exciting late in the season
The ACC should secure its northern flank before the B1G does something stupid, or smart depending on how you look at it.

Couple thoughts, trying to be completely unbiased.

1- Relegation is impossible in college sports. Kids get recruited to go to schools, it is not transfer and free agency based. Relegation isn’t happening

2- let’s list teams that immediately I think are less value than Syracuse. (Wake forest, duke, bc, Pitt, Louisville).

3- This is about viewers and markets. Not about what have you done for me lately. This is a long term solution type of thing. They are not going to take a wake forest who has been good recently but doesn’t bring viewers and small enrollment.

4- think about markets confrences want to get into (recruiting, viewership, fanbase, marketing). I am worried. We are not a top 20 program in the country. But I still think we are decently positioned. They are going to require enough teams for content. I get cutting out the dead weight. I don’t think Syracuse is viewed as dead weight though. Yes, our sports have dwindled the last couple years but again, this is long term view.

I think BC and Pitt are more valuable than SU based on their television markets. Everything is eyeballs and Boston College can provide the Boston market which I think it top 7-8 in the country.

I don't factor on field performance as a detriment for any of those 3 teams I mentioned. I think it will come down to television networks. Remember BC was ahead of Syracuse in the 2003 pecking order too ultimately. I know there was other factors involved but the ACC took them over us ultimately for some reason and at that time we were the better football product

Does Onondaga Lake count as beachfront property? Asking for a friend...

At any rate, since football is driving the bus on this whole thing, we are in great shape. Sure, most football fans don't even know that we even have a football team, but we have three things to offer a conference that nobody else has:

1) we have a sacred number that is being reserved for Floyd Little's grandson
2) the roller coaster thing on the roof of our stadium lights up. How cool is that?!
3) our coach may not win a lot of games but if you are planning a trip to Hawaii, he can tell you where to get a good bowl of saimin.

Suck on THAT, Alabama!

The ACC’s arrogance has put them in this position. They have never been forward thinking and are always two steps behind. They should go after ND, Penn State, Maryland and Northwestern. I doubt any of those teams want to send their sports teams traveling all over the country. ND and Northwestern give us Chicago’s market. ESPN will still need programming. They would be smart to put out a number if the ACC picks up these schools.
People disparage the ACC like this, but it’s more than a bit silly. Why on Earth would any school leave the B1G and forego the 2-3X revenue they make over the ACC? It’s preposterous. The ACC has been proactive a few times, but it lacks the football brands of the B1G and SEC. Blame Miami and FSU for (relatively) sucking most of the past 20 years.

I just cannot believe how quickly this escalated and how quickly the ACC is becoming (or going to become) obsolete. Someone earlier mentioned the leadership's arrogance, but I'm thinking it might be ignorance - Big 10 and SEC seem to be playing chess while ACC is playing solitaire. I don't have a deck of Tarot cards but I think everyone on this board so the future clearer than the ACC.

The eastern seaboard has many major cities, population and eyeballs that watch TV. From that standpoint, several ACC teams can deliver and provide value. I think SU is one of them. This is about the future, not who’s strongest today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom