USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

Cal and Stanford will never join the Big 12 or SEC. They think of themselves at Ivy level. Cal thumbs it’s nose at UCLA even - despite the fairly equal academic numbers. My parents are both Cal grads (dad went to SU undergrad then got masters and PhD at Cal.). I have three aunts as Cal grads, two uncles and my grandfather as Stanford grads. (I’m the village idiot in the family.).

Trust me on this. Affiliation with other “elite” schools is very important for them. They held their noses big time when ASU and UA got added in the ‘70’s - and didn’t at all like Utah and CO joining.

Think of these schools as Harvard or Yale - in their minds - don’t laugh.

They look down on the Big 10 also - very dismissive of the flyover states and the “meathead/wholesome” Midwest vibe. Extremely different cultural ethos between Cal/Stanford alums and Big 10 alums.

Let me give you a direct example of what Cal/Stanford grads think of USC - I got in there as well as Syracuse. My grandfather said I’d be kicked out of the family if I went to “that fraud of a school that pays all its players”.

On the other hand - they’d be just fine with the Duke’s, VA’s, and Vandy’s of the world.

My west coast family is just as sick to their stomachs as I am. As I think these two schools will follow USC and UCLA ultimately. The West Coast thing really is meaningful to people in the Bay Area.

Oh and one last thing - Cal and Stanford are locked at the hip. Their is zero chance of one of them bolting alone. Zero. Their rivalry is one of the deepest in the country - unbreakable bonds.

FWIW.

Cal and Stanford will never join the Big 12 or SEC. They think of themselves at Ivy level. Cal thumbs it’s nose at UCLA even - despite the fairly equal academic numbers. My parents are both Cal grads (dad went to SU undergrad then got masters and PhD at Cal.). I have three aunts as Cal grads, two uncles and my grandfather as Stanford grads. (I’m the village idiot in the family.).

Trust me on this. Affiliation with other “elite” schools is very important for them. They held their noses big time when ASU and UA got added in the ‘70’s - and didn’t at all like Utah and CO joining.

Think of these schools as Harvard or Yale - in their minds - don’t laugh.

They look down on the Big 10 also - very dismissive of the flyover states and the “meathead/wholesome” Midwest vibe. Extremely different cultural ethos between Cal/Stanford alums and Big 10 alums.

Let me give you a direct example of what Cal/Stanford grads think of USC - I got in there as well as Syracuse. My grandfather said I’d be kicked out of the family if I went to “that fraud of a school that pays all its players”.

On the other hand - they’d be just fine with the Duke’s, VA’s, and Vandy’s of the world.

My west coast family is just as sick to their stomachs as I am. As I think these two schools will follow USC and UCLA ultimately. The West Coast thing really is meaningful to people in the Bay Area.

Oh and one last thing - Cal and Stanford are locked at the hip. Their is zero chance of one of them bolting alone. Zero. Their rivalry is one of the deepest in the country - unbreakable bonds.

FWIW.
What will they do when the 6 go to the Big12?

Does this legal theory extend to all contract law?
there is nothing legal about what i am saying.

im talking about some back room, cigar and whiskey negotiations...you know, the way every single conference realignment has happened???

oh no, you dont know.

keep listening dash, hes just playing with me...others truly have no clue.

i do like exposing how small and weak everyone is, it seems they cant sleep at night without thinking of the GOR.

the GOR is their baba.

we are fine!!!! we have a GOR!!!!!

ha! tools...

still missing the point.

you want the GOR because...why?

i say its antiquated and useless.

uznip it, open it up...see what people got. then tell them their exit fee.

if you prefer doing business by holding a gun to their heads and yelling...youre going nowhere without giving me all your money 1st!!!...then i am wrong and welcome to the good side.

i just dont think thats good business.

and the GOR works as well as a rowboat in a naval battle.

if anyone wants out of the ACC, theyre leaving and i bet a single penny wont be paid to a GOR.

and if there is, it will be so small no one will care and the smart world will laugh at whomever takes its...pettyness.
Your point is ridiculous. You can huff and puff, it's what you do. But business 101 is you don't give anything away for free. And that is what you are foolishly suggesting the schools in the ACC do. I'm actually stunned that you believe the nonsense you just posted. Without the GOR, there is a good chance some schools would already have left. How can you not know that?

still missing the point.

you want the GOR because...why?

i say its antiquated and useless.

uznip it, open it up...see what people got. then tell them their exit fee.

if you prefer doing business by holding a gun to their heads and yelling...youre going nowhere without giving me all your money 1st!!!...then i am wrong and welcome to the good side.

i just dont think thats good business.

and the GOR works as well as a rowboat in a naval battle.

if anyone wants out of the ACC, theyre leaving and i bet a single penny wont be paid to a GOR.

and if there is, it will be so small no one will care and the smart world will laugh at whomever takes its...pettyness.

Your point is ridiculous. You can huff and puff, it's what you do. But business 101 is you don't give anything away for free. And that is what you are foolishly suggesting the schools in the ACC do. I'm actually stunned that you believe the nonsense you just posted. Without the GOR, there is a good chance some schools would already have left. How can you not know that?
of course without the GOR, they wouldve been gone.

they will gone soon anyway.

there will be an exit fee paid.

it wont be the GOR.

lets just go to arbitration and find what that middle payment should be.

otherwise, you can keep them hostage at gun point like god knows what in your basement.

of course without the GOR, they wouldve been gone.

they will gone soon anyway.

there will be an exit fee paid.

it wont be the GOR.

lets just go to arbitration and find what that middle payment should be.

otherwise, you can keep them hostage at gun point like god knows what in your basement.
The good news is that we now all know you didn't take one business class while at Syracuse. Or any course in common sense. Our fault. After reading your nonsense over the years, we should have already known that. Yes. Let's give money away for nothing in return.

He isn't saying for free. Why delay the inevitable? Come up with exit fees and be done with it. For example...

2023 $200M
2024 $190M
2025 $180M
2026 $170M
2027 $160M
2028 $150M
2029 $140M
2030 $130M
2031 $120M
2032 $110M
2033 $100M
2034 $90M
2035 $80M
2036 $70M

How is holding a school hostage and going to the courts a good thing? Why act like UConn when you can act with honor? The schools should be looking to the future and planning for that, not fighting over the next few years and a few bucks. It is petty.

FWIW.
I think if ACC adds Stanford, Cal, Washington, Washington St and Colorado, the five PAC schools might bite. We need to add Navy to make 20 schools four pods. The five PAC school can stay together in PAC pod. Northeast Pod will include SU, Pitt, BC, Louisville and Navy. The third pod includes Virginia, Virginia Tech, UNC, Duke and Wake Forest. The fourth pod includes NC State, Clemson, Georgia Tech, Miami and Florida State.
To make this work better, ACC needs to conspire with B1G and Big 12. B1G also invites Oregon and Oregon St at the same. Big12 invites Arizona, Arizona St and Utah. Why will B1G do this?
Because B1G doesn't want to see SEC strengthened by raid Clemson and Florida State from ACC. By keeping ACC in tact, SEC cannot get more powerful.

Last edited:
He isn't saying for free. Why delay the inevitable? Come up with exit fees and be done with it. For example...

2023 $200M
2024 $190M
2025 $180M
2026 $170M
2027 $160M
2028 $150M
2029 $140M
2030 $130M
2031 $120M
2032 $110M
2033 $100M
2034 $90M
2035 $80M
2036 $70M

How is holding a school hostage and going to the courts a good thing? Why act like UConn when you can act with honor? The schools should be looking to the future and planning for that, not fighting over the next few years and a few bucks. It is petty.
What are you talking about? Man. You are actually comparing holding someone to the contract that they willingly signed with what UConn did. That is Kaiser level dumb. That it is dishonorable to hold someone to a contract? We have a severe lack of business understanding on this board. Now, if you want to make a deal where we waive the GOR in exchange for a boatload of money, that is a different story. No matter what, they want to leave, they are going to pay a lot to do it.

The good news is that we now all know you didn't take one business class while at Syracuse. Or any course in common sense. Our fault. After reading your nonsense over the years, we should have already known that. Yes. Let's give money away for nothing in return.
me over the weekend...

money-throwing-it-away.gif

The Ivy League which should be on the offensive now. Add some west coast schools, increase your sport involvement. The shackles are off what we perceive higher education to be and how sports folds in. The Ivy League should take note
I actually think that could work. Throw in Duke. Would be a pretty cool conference actually. I’d be into it. We’d still be f@&$ed - but at least I’d have a conference I’d enjoy rooting for. Pretty neat idea Eli.

What are you talking about? Man. You are actually comparing holding someone to the contract that they willingly signed with what UConn did. That is Kaiser level dumb. That it is dishonorable to hold someone to a contract? We have a severe lack of business understanding on this board. Now, if you want to make a deal where we waive the GOR in exchange for a boatload of money, that is a different story. No matter what, they want to leave, they are going to pay a lot to do it.
Kaiser must have been in charge of bail reform too.

2023 $200M
2024 $190M
2025 $180M
2026 $170M
2027 $160M
2028 $150M
2029 $140M
2030 $130M
2031 $120M
2032 $110M
2033 $100M
2034 $90M
2035 $80M
2036 $70M
dont confuse dash with the plan.

hes an old man on the beach, who should be enjoying the beach...but instead hes here.

Ah yes the hardcore attorney Tony Siracusa, a 5 year football editor of some podunk football site makes the legal call to on the ACC Gor that was negotiated by probably a fleet of attorneys from both the ACC and member institutions.
That article was not surprisingly a nothing burger.

I actually think that could work. Throw in Duke. Would be a pretty cool conference actually. I’d be into it. We’d still be f@&$ed - but at least I’d have a conference I’d enjoy rooting for. Pretty neat idea Eli.
No athletic scholarships is a big sticking point. Duke ain't agreeing to that.