USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 17 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

I personally think this is real bad for the Cuse and something I thought would happen. With a limited number of men's sports teams due to not having baseball, hockey & wrestling, Cuse could be an odd school out if the SEC & B1G go to two 32 team super conferences.
College football & basketball have become a recent big turnoff to me and hoping the Cuse will survive this mess. Looks like the people at Rutgers are laughing all the way to the bank with these moves.

Last edited:
I just cannot believe how quickly this escalated and how quickly the ACC is becoming (or going to become) obsolete. Someone earlier mentioned the leadership's arrogance, but I'm thinking it might be ignorance - Big 10 and SEC seem to be playing chess while ACC is playing solitaire. I don't have a deck of Tarot cards but I think everyone on this board so the future clearer than the ACC.

I don’t think it’s any of this. The reality is the ACC has no cards to play. What could they have possibly done to stop any of this? Force ND to join for FB, pry ped state from B10, get USC/UCLA first? The only two conferences with the power to improve their positions are doing that, the ACC has absolutely no ability to do anything to improve itself or prevent it’s demise.

People disparage the ACC like this, but it’s more than a bit silly. Why on Earth would any school leave the B1G and forego the 2-3X revenue they make over the ACC? It’s preposterous. The ACC has been proactive a few times, but it lacks the football brands of the B1G and SEC. Blame Miami and FSU for (relatively) sucking most of the past 20 years.

There's nothing the ACC could do if this was the destiny of college football. they just don't have the 5 star inventory on the football side of things.

As I said earlier, the ACC does carry their water for basketball and the billion dollar NCAA tourney which no one has articulated how it survives the destruction of the NCAA (which sounds like the plan now). Does a television network buy the equivalent of an NCAA tourney and just buy the NCAA IP without the notion of enforcement as a television content asset?

I think in that regard SU, Duke, UNC are in VERY good shape because they are the inventory for March. However, how we get there and where we end up is anyone's guess. That's why I think intrepid thinkers need to really really really think outside the box how to position SU for how this all plays out, not the quick buck solutions for next whatever years

The ACC’s arrogance has put them in this position. They have never been forward thinking and are always two steps behind. They should go after ND, Penn State, Maryland and Northwestern. I doubt any of those teams want to send their sports teams traveling all over the country. ND and Northwestern give us Chicago’s market. ESPN will still need programming. They would be smart to put out a number if the ACC picks up these schools.
yes they were forward thinking how do you think the big east met their demise? answer acc raided it. big east was doomed from the beginning by not voting psu in. basketball kept it afloat as long as possible.

Last edited:
i have not read all the threads, but my feeling is the next move is clemson and florida state to sec

The B1G should strike first and offer Clemson. That gets the B1G into the South. Once Clemson goes UVA, UNC, Duke, GA Tech will follow. Then ask Florida and when they say no, take FSU and Miami.

One time come back post for me and I am done.

Syracuse athletics are in trouble. Football atleast.
DickinMI post a couple above is 100% on the money.

Syracuse football either needs a very rich alum to spend a lot of cash on NIL to get talent into the program or we won’t be in one of the power conferences in the near future.

There are going to be 2 power conferences. The conference of leftovers will have solid teams but they won’t be on the same level as the SEC or B1G. Having blind faith is just ignorance to the reality of our situation. If you are comfortable being in the leftovers it’s fine and it’s not the end all be all.

I warned everyone this was coming and not to put blinders on. Syracuse athletics waited way too long to upgrade and invest for football. It cost us talent at the end of the Coach P era and it helped tick off Doug Marrone. The new AD is investing and that is probably the best thing he has done as the state of athletics as a whole have been down right terrible this past year and football has become an afterthought nationally.

These moves are like a chess board. The conferences in power want the power pieces not pawns. Sadly some pawns got into those conferences by luck but future moves are about consolidating the power pieces. If you aren’t a rook, bishop, or knight then you aren’t going to be added.
The only king piece left is Notre Dame and they are going to be going down the ladder of value when the Big Ten eats them.

That is the only solace I will take from this Notre Dame knows they are going to end up in the Big Ten now.

Syracuse football has been collecting a check since we joined the ACC. We haven’t invested enough till it was too late. Wake has more success recently and they are going to feel these affects just as much.

If we were consistently churning out 7-5/8-4 seasons we would have been okay but we haven’t.

Back to retirement as this isn’t a debate post.

The ACC needs to approach 5 of the biggest remaining PAC-12 schools and create a bicoastal structure. If they can bring in the 2 Arizona Schools, oregon, and washington, and then Stanford...the ACC will have changed enough that they can renegotate that ESPN TV deal, likely significantly. Won't be SEC/Big 10 money, but can get much closer.

One time come back post for me and I am done.

Syracuse athletics are in trouble. Football atleast.
DickinMI post a couple above is 100% on the money.

Syracuse football either needs a very rich alum to spend a lot of cash on NIL to get talent into the program or we won’t be in one of the power conferences in the near future.

There are going to be 2 power conferences. The conference of leftovers will have solid teams but they won’t be on the same level as the SEC or B1G. Having blind faith is just ignorance to the reality of our situation. If you are comfortable being in the leftovers it’s fine and it’s not the end all be all.

I warned everyone this was coming and not to put blinders on. Syracuse athletics waited way too long to upgrade and invest for football. It cost us talent at the end of the Coach P era and it helped tick off Doug Marrone. The new AD is investing and that is probably the best thing he has done as the state of athletics as a whole have been down right terrible this past year and football has become an afterthought nationally.

These moves are like a chess board. The conferences in power want the power pieces not pawns. Sadly some pawns got into those conferences by luck but future moves are about consolidating the power pieces. If you aren’t a rook, bishop, or knight then you aren’t going to be added.
The only king piece left is Notre Dame and they are going to be going down the ladder of value when the Big Ten eats them.

That is the only solace I will take from this Notre Dame knows they are going to end up in the Big Ten now.

Syracuse football has been collecting a check since we joined the ACC. We haven’t invested enough till it was too late. Wake has more success recently and they are going to feel these affects just as much.

If we were consistently churning out 7-5/8-4 seasons we would have been okay but we haven’t.

Back to retirement as this isn’t a debate post.
I missed your retirement? Were you unhappy with people disagreeing with you? This should be your superbowl right now. Welcome back although I didn't know you online retired.

I think you are 100% wrong on what Syracuse could have done. We could have brought in T Boone Pickens in 1999 and still would be on the outside looking in. And look, OSU may be on the outside looking in too and they spent a GDP of a small country on football. Results wouldn't matter if we were 7-5 vs 4-8. That's crazy talk. We just don't have the rabid fan base, the history of the blue bloods and the luck of being in the lucky sperm conference club (hello Indiana and Rutgers)

Sometimes it's not meant to be and it may not be for us in the big leagues.

The ACC's only chance is to try and be a third super league by getting ND into the fold immediately. But that is unlikely.

The ACC needs to approach 5 of the biggest remaining PAC-12 schools and create a bicoastal structure. If they can bring in the 2 Arizona Schools, oregon, and washington, and then Stanford...the ACC will have changed enough that they can renegotate that ESPN TV deal, likely significantly. Won't be SEC/Big 10 money, but can get much closer.

Please stop. Send Syracuse to Dr Kevorkian if this is the conference we will be in.

Send me to the Holy Cross football gulag if need be. At least I can go see them play vs heading to Guam to see SU in the Sun Bowl.

At this point rip the bandaid off and just destroy the entire remaining conferences and rebuild from the rubble. Think hoops and go from there

I don’t think it’s any of this. The reality is the ACC has no cards to play. What could they have possibly done to stop any of this? Force ND to join for FB, pry ped state from B10, get USC/UCLA first? The only two conferences with the power to improve their positions are doing that, the ACC has absolutely no ability to do anything to improve itself or prevent it’s demise.

Penn St, ND, WVU and South Carolina

Everything changes so quickly now that nothing would surprise me.

Vandy/NW gave legitimacy to academics. No one cares anymore.

Rutgers/Maryland gave access to cable boxes. Pretty sure that's becoming a relic too.

The brand names that attract eyeballs are all the value now. Guessing they have enough data on each DMA and what teams bring the highest ratings to build the empires properly.

Or maybe they just go 2 X 32 and full on world domination.
I think about how much the sabres have been on national TV all these years they've stunk. It's just a local broadcast on a national network, no one watches most of this stuff except the home fans

Syracuse isn't big but there are a lot of people between Rochester and NYC who will actually watch

I think BC and Pitt are more valuable than SU based on their television markets. Everything is eyeballs and Boston College can provide the Boston market which I think it top 7-8 in the country.

I don't factor on field performance as a detriment for any of those 3 teams I mentioned. I think it will come down to television networks. Remember BC was ahead of Syracuse in the 2003 pecking order too ultimately. I know there was other factors involved but the ACC took them over us ultimately for some reason and at that time we were the better football product
Does anyone in boston actually watch though

Does anyone in boston actually watch though

Does anyone in LA watch? I don't understand television viewing in "pro" towns. Maybe an ESPN exec on board can tell us. I would think these major cities are huge to have no matter the interest locally in the team

My $.02.

As said on our board, I think all these megaconference moves and shape shifting are a total waste of time because we're moving toward a model in which the biggest boys will create a structure in which their football and basketball players don't have to go to class and a goodly number of schools will continue to require theirs to go to class, so they will refuse to play the ones that don't. All those structures of pods, the 64 teams (which ones?), relegation, etc., then go right down the tubes. Because there currently is overtime in the regular season, somebody has to lose. What's going to be the sentiments within the biggest boys' fanbases when they don't have the semi-guaranteed wins built into their schedules anymore? They're killing the goose that laid the golden egg.

Where will UVa end up? I haven't the slightest idea. At one time we supposedly were a package deal with UNC. I don't know if that ever was or still is true. I just hope that whenever the dust settles, we're one of the schools that does require all its players to go to class and refuses to play anyone who doesn't. If that puts us at some sort of level just above the Ivies, so be it.

Does anyone in LA watch? I don't understand television viewing in "pro" towns. Maybe an ESPN exec on board can tell us. I would think these major cities are huge to have no matter the interest locally in the team

People in LA watched when USC was good in the mid-2000's. I would say Cali college sports support is fairweather fans. Not so dissimilar to Cuse...win and more fans will come.

Please stop. Send Syracuse to Dr Kevorkian if this is the conference we will be in.

Send me to the Holy Cross football gulag if need be. At least I can go see them play vs heading to Guam to see SU in the Sun Bowl.

At this point rip the bandaid off and just destroy the entire remaining conferences and rebuild from the rubble. Think hoops and go from there

I totally get and respect that take, but honestly, this is representative a split I've seen among the Cuse fan base for going on 20 years now, one that has caused friction in a wide variety of areas. There are fans who want to cling to the idea of being in the top tier no matter what, and there are fans who are perfectly happy having a local provincial team to support.

I'm not questioning which is fundamentally right or wrong. Both have positives and negatives. But it really is the genesis of the split as it applies to opinions on coaching changes, recruiting, measures of success, NIL and how we use it, etc.

Anyway, personally I'm in the survival camp but like I said, I get your take.

LOL. ND in the SEC. Yeah, that is a perfect match.

Finebaum has lost his mind.
yeah, that wont happen, but as Chip said...2 x 32 could.

both are sortve drawing a new mason/dixon line...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom