USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

My guess is ND will do nothing and put a stop to all of this...for now.

they have never made a hasty decision. Perhaps clearer heads at ND decide the leverage they may have, temporarily, to forge an academic/athletic alliance based on their ideals vs the ideals of the SEC/BIG. I wouldn't assume anything with ND. They hold all the cards, could destroy the hand that fed them (ACC) or try and figure out a new way forward parallel to the LIV Football Tour one

I feel like we would beat out Wake, Oregon State, Wazzu, Kansas State and West Virginia. So we likely would have a spot if it is 2 x 32.
Wake is the smallest school inn a Major conference since Rice lost that status when the SWC died. Wake is the 4th schiool in a mid-sized state. No way Wake is wanted by SEC or BT or ESPN or Fox or CBS or NBC.

I don't see a way for the B1G and SEC to be the same size. It is hard to get the SEC past 24, and even harder to get to 32. If the SEC were at 32, then it is very hard to get the B1G past 24. It is pretty easy to get the B1G to 32, but that makes it impossible for the SEC to get there. Maybe both can get to 28, in which case SU makes the cut.
The SEC could get to 28 easily: cut Wake and BC and then add the other 12 ACC schools. After that. adding WVU, Texas Tech and 2 from among TCU, Baylor, or Ok St would make 32.

BT could add Cal, Stanford, Washington, Wazzou, Oregon, Oregon St, Arizona, AZ St, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Iowa St, to get to 28 very easily. And then there's Notre Dame, as well as Cincy.

Depends how far the B1G expands West.. One would think they want to bring more teams over now that they have USC/UCLA in the fold.

SEC could expand their SE footprint and go into the Mid-Atlantic and further into Texas/Oklahoma and the heartland.

Basically would be B1G (NE, Midwest, West) and SEC (SE, Mid-Atlantic, Texas/Oklahoma)

The numbers aren't there. Right now there are 69 future P5 members. Of those the following are not making the cut for the B1G or SEC:

Washington State, Oregon State, Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Houston, Iowa State, UCF, Wake

That gets you down to 60 teams. Then you have the maybe, maybe nots:

Stanford, Cal, Arizona State, BYU, Kansas State, Oklahoma State, West Virginia, Cincinnati, SU, BC, Pitt, Louisville, VA Tech, Duke, NC State, Miami, Vanderbilt

Now we are down to 43 teams. Next are the probably will, but possible to not be there:

Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Kansas

And finally the 39 that be there for sure:

Washington, Oregon, B1G (16), SEC (15), Notre Dame, UVA, UNC, Clemson, GA Tech, FSU

My guess is ND will do nothing and put a stop to all of this...for now.

they have never made a hasty decision. Perhaps clearer heads at ND decide the leverage they may have, temporarily, to forge an academic/athletic alliance based on their ideals vs the ideals of the SEC/BIG. I wouldn't assume anything with ND. They hold all the cards, could destroy the hand that fed them (ACC) or try and figure out a new way forward parallel to the LIV Football Tour one
I fully expect them to F over the ACC just like they did the Big East. They are without a doubt the worst team in the country to affiliate your school with. It’s not matter of if but when they will F you over. Always has been and always will be.

Last edited:
This is bad news for college athletics. The writing has been on the wall, but we have been ignoring it. Syracuse could be in trouble and I feel for the students, alumns, and fan bases of the PAC-12 schools that are about to be kicked to the curb.

The ACC needs Notre Dame to join to save it. After that maybe invite BYU. Need schools with large national fan bases to move the needle and increase the TV contract for the ACC significantly. Not much available that the ACC could realistically get.

The Big Ten will likely add Oregon, Washington, Cal, and Stanford. If not, it would be wise for the ACC to immediately extend invites.

I miss our history with West Virginia but they won’t do much for TV revenue. The same goes for the rest of the Big XII. Vanderbilt and Northwestern are pipe dreams. Yes they are outclassed on the football field, but they will not leave the immense wealth they are about to receive.

The SEC could get to 28 easily: cut Wake and BC and then add the other 12 ACC schools. After that. adding WVU, Texas Tech and 2 from among TCU, Baylor, or Ok St would make 32.

BT could add Cal, Stanford, Washington, Wazzou, Oregon, Oregon St, Arizona, AZ St, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Iowa St, to get to 28 very easily. And then there's Notre Dame, as well as Cincy.

Why?

NY: why take SU as an outlier?
VA: if the SEC can get UVA why add VA Tech? Just another mouth to feed.
NC: what value to the SEC does NC State bring?
KY: what value does Louisville bring?
FL: Florida is the life blood of SEC football. Why in the hell would the schools want to add a Florida team, let alone 2? There is no way both FSU and Miami get invites.
OK: what value does Okie State add?
TX: you have to be Fing kidding me, this is a joke?

CA: why take Cal?
WA: WSU, lol. You are kidding right?
OR: Oregon State, ditto.
AZ: ASU ditto again.
IA: ISU ditto ditto ditto.
OH: LMFAO

You have the worst expansion opinions. You really don't get it.

The B10 and SEC between them will have somewhere between 40-48 teams in the next 5 years. Then they will break from the NCAA and have their own rules. Once that is all settled, they will “expand” to 64 and reshuffle the deck for a 4x16. We very well may not be in the 40-48 group. But be patient and we are almost certainly in the 64 group. It’ll just be a couple years longer.

The B10 and SEC between them will have somewhere between 40-48 teams in the next 5 years. Then they will break from the NCAA and have their own rules. Once that is all settled, they will “expand” to 64 and reshuffle the deck for a 4x16. We very well may not be in the 40-48 group. But be patient and we are almost certainly in the 64 group. It’ll just be a couple years longer.
They won’t expand to 64.

This is all idealism.
The schools left out of the 2 super conference will become midmajors for football.

They won’t expand to 64 to include Boston College, Syracuse, Oregon State, Texas Tech, Kansas types.

Notre Dame is basically going to decide when the end game occurs.

Syracuse, Boston College, Duke, Pittsburgh, Wake, Louisville, Virginia, West Virginia will become the old Big East football conference which will be a level below the elite but above the rest of the midmajors.

ESPN has screwed the ACC it wasn’t hard to see this years ago. The super-conferences aren’t going to add pawns they will add power pieces.

Look in the mirror as much as I hate it Syracuse is now a pawn. Our football has sucked. We waited way too long to spend and invest. Our recruiting needed these facilities years ago.

Realignment is not about idealism it’s about money. We are going to go down a peg because football has sucked for over a decade and basketball doesn’t drive expansion.

Plausible while being highly uncertain.

That is what is boils down to. How big will the two super conferences get? 2x20, we are out. 2x32, we are prob in.
I think the end game is 2x24; then a 3rd conference of 24 (ACC/B12/PAC) which Syracuse will be part of. Split each conference into 4 pods of 6 regional teams

Last edited:

There is no way that happens. IMO FBS is going to split in 3. There will be your P5 Semi Pro, P5 Academic, and G5+best FCS. I could see a 20 team SEC (all Semi Pro) and a 30 team B1G (20 Semi Pro and 10 Academic). The ACC, B12, and P12 will be in the Academic division and have 10 teams each. That is where SU will be. So you have a 40 team Semi Pro (2 conferences), a 40 team Academic (4 conferences), and an 60 team G5.

Forget GORs. The only contract people should be considering is media. If the PAC 10 and ACC merged to form a new league, could they trigger a brand new media deal? That’s the question that matters.
Yes.
Because being on the open market is what makes the big bucks.

If you had
The PAC-10 + 14 ACC schools
You could get NBC, CBS, ESPN, Fox, Apple, Amazon, Netflix all bidding on your content.
You would have 24 teams with plenty of value.
Across the nation.

Getting on the open market is what raises the value of the contract.
The ACC is screwed because ESPN owns their content thru 2036 and is paying cheaper than it would if it was on the market.

If the ACC and Pac-12 dissolved and reformed as one right now it could survive if all the teams were invested together.

The Big XII doesn’t have any value because it’s power pieces left but the PAC-10+ 14 ACC do have enough now.

If.ND goes.to the B1G, they will still want something close to their present scheduling format:

Navy
USC
Stanford
Five East Coast teams
Two Middle-America games
One Southern game
One open game

This is not 100%fixed, just a general.plan,. but it is a good guideline of what they do and why the aligned with the ACC. It would not be surprising to see if they worked out a plan to bring g some friends and "helped" other friends into a soft landing (a.k.a. voluntarily dissolve the ACC, split between the B1G and SEC, probably with a few left overs) which would ensure ND continues their historical scheduling and student (NOT football).recruiting.

Penn State and UMD would likely back this for a few more Eastern rivalries.

I don’t think Syracuse makes the cut of a 48 team 2 league super conference.

By the way Rutgers is currently a better football team and in a better location than Syracuse

We'd make 64, but not 48. But at least we can join the BE for all sports and cobble together a football conference amongst the rest if it's 48.

Btw….this isn’t about money for ND. It’s about whether they think they can still straddle them fence of no conference affiliation and maintain a national high level schedule.

If they feel squeezed out, they join.

I also don’t think it’s wise for the Big to say “it’s all on ND”. I don’t think ND want to be perceived as the ultimate catalyst for what will happen if they join the Big.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom