USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

I have no problems with ND, they made their deal, they happen to be in a strong position. If positions were reversed we would do the same.

We are in the position we are in due to a lack of planning, foresight and allocating resources to football. All our infrastructure spending could be too little too late.

Just heard some wild speculation down here in Georgia that if the B1G attempts to become a national super league, the SEC could look at expanding based on region expansion rather than football quality and/or cultural fit.

Meaning that west coast teams and NE teams like Syracuse could be brought in for regional exposure purposes.

I put that idea at about 5% chance of happening, but if the B1G expands by adding more PAC teams and then poaches southern ACC teams, I could see the SEC being worried about being a regional league vs the B1G’s national league.

Just heard some wild speculation down here in Georgia that if the B1G attempts to become a national super league, the SEC could look at expanding based on region expansion rather than football quality and/or cultural fit.

Meaning that west coast teams and NE teams like Syracuse could be brought in for regional exposure purposes.

I put that idea at about 5% chance of happening, but if the B1G expands by adding more PAC teams and then poaches southern ACC teams, I could see the SEC being worried about being a regional league vs the B1G’s national league.
SU to SEC imminent!

Put us against Vandy, Kentucky, South Carolina, Florida, Georgia!

Contractually, what is the soonest an ACC team can bolt for a mega conference?

It would make the most sense for non FB for the B1G to go to 30. Then they can have 3 leagues of 2 divisions. That will allow non FB to be regional while FB is national.

West League
Pacific-USC, UCLA, Stanford, Oregon, Washington (old PAC 8)
Mountain- Arizona, Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, Kansas (old Big 8)

Central League
West- Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois (B1G West)
East- Indiana, Purdue, Michigan, Michigan State, Ohio State (B1G East)

East League
North- Notre Dame, Penn State. Rutgers, Maryland, UVA (old East Indies)
South- UNC, Duke, Clemson, GA Tech, FSU (old ACC)

That makes the B1G span all but Texas. It is easy to keep schedules regional for non FB.

This is the way I view it. It’s about markets and number of fans (who is going to pay for streaming and cable channels). Not the strength of teams. The way confrences will be expanding in my opinion is based on popularity.

I believe ACC should get out in front and poach Big 12 and PAC teams. Kick Wake forest out. Then they go up to 28 teams. 3 divisions of 7 separated based on geography. They corner the market and beat BIG and SEC to the punch. We would have a ton of content. Wouldn’t have the biggest profile teams that SEC and Big 10 have but collectively would have most content and the most viewership by a long shot. And have exposure in all 4 areas of the country.

You want ND to turn down playing in a coast to coast conference with Southern Cal as a member, with a payout of $120 million a year per school...for what, exactly?

No other school in America would turn that down to be stuck in a Tier Two conference with half the payout.

None. You want ND to give up independence. You just want them to join your league.

You want ND to do that, why? So Syracuse and the ACC are "saved" from themselves and make a little more lucre?

That seems to be "whoring", too.
To me, it's all about attitude. And ND, or at least their fans, have historically demonstrated a "holier-than-thou" attitude. As the punchline to a great old joke goes--"We've already determined what you are, now we're just haggling over the price".

I never understood the fearful “we would get murdered in that league” takes. Even if it’s true you either want to play at the big boy table or not. You have to be willing to partner with the best and hope you can use that affiliation to get better (recruiting, payout, facilities, etc)
This is a better conference for us.

If there is no college sports outside of the Big Ten and SEC we will have a seat in one of those two leagues if they totally take over but that won't happen.

I think we'd have been worse than Rutgers had we gone into that league honestly. Hoops at least went .500 in the ACC and had 3 miracle NCAAT runs as a bubble team Big Ten could be worse their bottom level hoops is tougher than the ACC. FB might have multiple winless seasons. We couldn't even beat Rutty at home last year with a 4th year QB from NJ.

If we go to the SEC we are Vandy.

I don't think Michigan/OSU have lost a single game to Maryland or Rutgers in football since they started to play them annually.

I’m going to have a really tough time figuring out what team I want to win in a few years.

My kids usually ask me which team do we want to win and I’d say about 50% of the time I say we hope they both lose. In two years it will be more like 80% or 90%.

You guys are funny. Texas, Oklahoma, USC, UCLA, Oregon...even Syracuse, BC, Pitt...all changed conferences for more money and better status, but they all get a pass?

Its all cool and good, just smart business, but if ND does it the Irish are singled out as "whoring"?

Ironic.
We didn’t tell the conference that one of our teams was too good for the conference. You do understand that right?

You want ND to turn down playing in a coast to coast conference with Southern Cal as a member, with a payout of $120 million a year per school...for what, exactly?

No other school in America would turn that down to be stuck in a Tier Two conference with half the payout.

None. You want ND to give up independence. You just want them to join your league.

You want ND to do that, why? So Syracuse and the ACC are "saved" from themselves and make a little more lucre?

That seems to be "whoring", too.

The ACC has been good to ND though they haven't lost more than 1-2 games over the last decade to the rank and file teams and they have been in the national title discussion most years while the decade prior ND wasn't close at all and were typically going 7-5.

ND is going to lose a lot more games in an expanded Big Ten than they do now. I don't think ND wants any part in having to beat Iowa, Illinois, Purdue, Nebby week in week out let alone the good teams in that league. I'd much rather rack up W's against service academies and UNC or Wake.

Independent when there are no relevant conferences other than the Big Ten or SEC is different though. The last few decades they have been able to claim being on par with most of the BCS conferences if not all of them. If those leagues are G5 then you just can't be lumped in with them.

You'll get a seat in the Big Ten of course but I don't think this is good for you.

So basically what I gather is our ship (the old Big East) was taking on water so we bailed to a life boat (the ACC). But now we are adrift in the middle of the pacific and the life bat is sinking. Does that sum it up?

Be happy we aren't on the 2 other lifeboats (B12 and P12.)

If I’m the ACC and politics gums up Washington and Oregon to the big….I invite Zona-ASU, Oregon-OSU, Wash-wazzou maybe even Cal-Stanford. Go big. Get as big as humanly possible. ESPN will give you more money than currently.

Do whatever you can do to be clear cut #3.

If I’m the ACC and politics gums up Washington and Oregon to the big….I invite Zona-ASU, Oregon-OSU, Wash-wazzou maybe even Cal-Stanford. Go big. Get as big as humanly possible. ESPN will give you more money than currently.

Do whatever you can do to be clear cut #3.
The Great A & P Conference. Although, they might have to negotiate with the grocery chain for the name.

I have not read through the last 17 pages but the only hope for SU is 4 leagues (B10, ACC, SEC, B12/P10) with 16 each.

Top 64 teams get in - and SU is absolutely one of them.

If it’s Top 40 with 20 schools per conference, B10 needs to make some cuts in order to get a seat.

But I don’t see how 20 team conferences work for any sport. 16 is the max, IMO.

Bottom line question is whether ESPN will adequately support a third league.

iu

2 years and 100 million
i think you are low on the amount of money, going to have to at least double that unless a ton of teams get chairs at the same time

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSmith

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom