USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 42 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

There are 120 teams that play FBS football. We'll all have chairs.

Some of us will be at the kiddie table, though.
I think the 120/130 current FBS teams will be divided into two division2. The bar for the upper division will be low enough to include Army and Navy. So the number of the upper division should be like 72, maybe 64 (some teams slightly better than Army and Navy will not be included if it is 64). The number of conferences in upper division could be 2, 3 or 4 depending how the negotiation is conducted.

We picked the losing horse

Right now the GOR is hurting us. At least if it was expiring we could potentially be picked up by the B10 in one of the next rounds of expansion. Now we’re just F’d
I seriously doubt we're very high on the B1G "must-have" list.

Fans are still going to follow their college team, are Syracuse fans going to start being PSU or Notre Dame fans if they aren't in the "big leagues"? I don't think so. 80 teams would have a strong presence everywhere, it would have a significant hold on a large demographic. The big leagues need to marginalize that by absorbing enough teams.

Those fanbases will mostly fade to a level that supports a lower level of play. A lot of fans will walk away.

If you're a school in the P2. Do you care, nope! You're literally making a BILLON dollars over the next decade.

I know i'm currently barely hanging on as a Cuse football fan. I'm also very concerned what this means for b-ball and lacrosse.

We picked the losing horse

Right now the GOR is hurting us. At least if it was expiring we could potentially be picked up by the B10 in one of the next rounds of expansion. Now we’re just F’d
If the GOR isn’t a consideration as many have said, for Notre Dame, Clemson etc leaving, why would it be for any other ACC team?

Maryland and Boston College along with Penn State are all roughly the same distance from NYC as Syracuse. UConn, Rutgers and Army are closer. But I don’t think it really matters
But only Army and Syracuse are in New York State.

Syracuse adminstration waited too damn long to invest in the football program.

1999 Syracuse would be invited into the Big Ten now.

We didn’t invest in football facilities under Buzz or Cantor.

How UConn had better football facilities till the IPF was a joke.

Coach P had horrible facilities and people wondered why the talent went down.

The guy was such a loyal soldier.

Marrone left because we didn’t invest in facilities and he couldn’t get Brandon Coleman because our football facilities were garbage.

Dino has 1 winning season in 6 years and stays on. We aren’t serious about college football.

If we were committed to big time college football we wouldn’t be relegated.

The big issue is Notre Dame is a giant parasite that shows it doesn’t value partnerships. Screw ND. Let them go get their paycheck and be Ohio State and Michigan’s you know what.
I hate to say i told you but i told you all.

Syracuse is going to go down a level in the tiers and it’s our own fault.

If SEC wants to increase footprint and attack first before B1G, SEC should invite

Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, UNC, Virginia (or VA Tech) and Clemson.

I don't think SEC wants Florida State because Florida is blocking it and it won't add footprint. South Carolina is weak so other members will outvote SC.

Marrone left because we didn’t invest in facilities and he couldn’t get Brandon Coleman because our football facilities were garbage.

Dino has 1 winning season in 6 years and stays on. We aren’t serious about college football.

The big issue is Notre Dame is a giant parasite that shows it doesn’t value partnerships. Screw ND. Let them go get their paycheck and be Ohio State and Michigan’s you know what.

Nailed it. Big time football will not be northeast of PA and NJ anymore. Well officially anyway, one could say thats been the case for decades. I'm at peace with that. It's the negative affect on our other sports I'm not ok with. Call your state representatives and get these upcoming football TV deals taxed. :)

Duke has a strong brand so they could make it. UNC holds all the cards. They can tell the B1G and SEC we want Duke and UVA to come along with us. Then it becomes a game of chicken.

ESPN will want the SEC to take both FSU and Miami, but the SEC will push back. I think FSU could come along especially if it keeps the B1G out of Florida. Yes, the B!G can add Miami but Miami is a private school and hasn't been Top 10 since 2003, has one Top 15 since 2004, and only four Top 25s since 2005. They aren't the threat that FSU to the B1G would be. I do think the B1G would take both FSU and Miami as FOX would want that and it is a bigger presence in the state.

VA Tech might get left out. If the SEC gets UVA, I don't think the B1G adds VA Tech. Possible but IMO not likely.

Arizona is the big catch in the state. No need to take 2 teams. ASU I think gets left out. Their only shot is the SEC, but if no other schools around them are in the SEC are they worth it as a geographical outlier? I say no.

I think Stanford will either be B1G or P12. Cal might get left behind. They have no brand, no fanbase, no additional market, and aren't good at sports. Their only shot IMO is if the B1G wants an additional Western school to even out the non FB schedules.

Colorado will be a battle ground. It is the connector to the West for both. I could see the SEC taking them along with BYU and an AZ school. I could see the B1G taking them along with Utah and an Arizona school.

I think BYU is a big get for the SEC as it will give them SLC and a presence in CA. IMO the B1G would prefer Utah.

Depending on who wins the West, I could see Texas or A&M leaving for the B1G. It isn't likely but possible.

ISU only gets in if the B1G has 31 teams and has no other team as 32nd.

Okie State is possible. They have a decent brand. But they are likely left out.

I think K State gets left out. They are like ISU where they only get in if the SEC has no one else to make a round number of teams. Kansas has a great brand in BBall. They will get in. They offer a connector to the West. They have a presence in KC. I think both the B1G and SEC will want them.

WV has a decent brand but are like Okie State. They isn't enough there. They likely get left out.

Louisville is another Okie State as well.

Cincy has a shot IMO. A small shot but a shot. If the SEC wants to send a big middle finger to the B1G, that will do it.

Pitt is possible to the SEC but very unlikely. I do think the B1G woudl have interest. But that would only be if the B1G goes extra extra large.

BC will have a hard time. B!G is most likely. SEC maybe depending on how everything else plays out.

SU has a good brand and a large BBall fanbase. That adds money for subscription services. Getting that fanbase to pay $5 a month from October to March is just a good as a big FB fanbase paying from August to November. We could get left out, but IMO we get into the B1G. SEC is a long shot.
I hope SEC decides to go Northeast, instead of West. So SEC adds

Notre Dame, Syracuse, Pitt, Clemson, Virginia (or VA Tech) and UNC.

But only Army and Syracuse are in New York State.
I’m not taking either side of whatever seems to be debated about being better distance. I’m just saying I’m driving up to Syracuse this week and I could get to Boston. Maryland, Storrs and Piscataway faster. I don’t think it means anything either way

“leave the rest in the NCAA” That’s where the NCAA and its members need to tell the SEC and B10 it’s all or nothing and by our rules.
Lol, NCAA will do Jack s***t

I'm pretty sure NCAA HQ wouldn't have a problem with their leaving. They get $0.00 annually from FBS football, so there's no revenue to be lost. Plus, the recruiting violations would drop to near zero. There are probably fewer allegations of them each year in FCS, D-2, and D-3 combined than there are in just the SEC. They've got nothing to lose and everything to gain if they're gone.

The member schools, though. are different. I could easily see a bunch of them trying to expel P2 schools from the NCAA.

Before anyone burns their Orange gear or turns in their season tickets, you may want to remember a few things:

1} There is a lot of more to come
2) The B1G is now "nationwide" with a huge gap in the middle.
3) The SEC is still a regional conference.
4) The ACC GOR is still a costly item to overcome
5) UT and OU believe the GOR to be strong enough that they decided to ride out the contract. They only bargained when it became convenient to do so (i.e. the new teams wanted in and the remaining teams were willing to negotiate), it still cost them a pretty penny to walk away.
6) ND signed the ACC GOR
7) ND is contractually obligated to join the ACC if the join a conference before 2036. - Effectively, their rights belong to the ACC GOR/ESPN
8) ESPN owns the GOR rights, they also own the SEC rights. They do not own the B1G rights. It stands to reason that ESPN has a vested interest in ensuring the SEC and ACC properties remain viable (whether as separate or united remains to be determined)
9) The SEC will have to go west to become "national"
10) CFB will need at least 60-80 teams in the first tier to ensure the powers have cannon fodder. More if the middle of the pack want to remain "winners" and not lose their respective fanbases (yes, Mississippi schools and most B1G schools, I am looking at you!)
11) Syracuse is in the fourth most populous state
12)For those who wish to argue that upstate is not important, it still is roughly 9MM-10MM which makes it a "large state" in its own right and a viable market to be owned by the B1G or the SEC, should the ACC fold.
13) PSU is likely to want more eastern playmates if the B1G expands with more western teams, which is likely. PSU has never been happy as the eastern flank of the conference. Rutgers and UMD help, but adding SU, Pitt, BC with ND would benefit PSU greatly, assuming the ACC folds and SEC does not want a northeaster presence. Alternatively, the SEC may want a northeastern presence to counter the B1G because the B1G is likely to want a southeastern presence - Think GATech/Miami/FSU to the B1G. The entire east coast could be zippered ala the Coastal/Atlantic Divisions. If Pitt, SU, BC, VATech, NCState, Clemson, FSU were in the "SEC", coverage would be very good along coast. I still think PSU prefers some old rivals, but would be content with ND, UVA, GATech and a couple others.
14) It takes a majority, probably a super majority to dissolve the ACC, which means most schools must have a good landing spot. It is likely that most schools will, if not all.
15) Nothing can happen for two years as the PAC GOR does not end until then. So much for the "GOR means nothing" arguments.*

*The GOR is a liquidated damages clause. Just a refresher for those who may have forgotten, liquidated damages are a contingency spelled out to address when a contract is broken but the resolution may be difficult to resolve, the parties agree before-hand how the matter will be resolved. Courts are likely to uphold liquidated damages clauses. See UT/OU and USC/UCLA. They can be negotiated, but it won't be easy for the leaving party.

Applied toe the ACC, the easiest way around the GOR is to get all parties to work together, including ESPN and all 15 schools. This is probably why ND is not in a rush to make a decision, that and they really do relish their football independence.

Didn’t AAU membership (or lack there of)/Penn state hold back syracuse from the big ten?

If SEC wants to increase footprint and attack first before B1G, SEC should invite

Notre Dame, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, UNC, Virginia (or VA Tech) and Clemson.

I don't think SEC wants Florida State because Florida is blocking it and it won't add footprint. South Carolina is weak so other members will outvote SC.
The only way Notre Dame goes into the Big 10 is with Stanford tagging along.
The Big 10 needs Notre Dame, and Stanford gives a bit of legitimacy to their power grab.
And that would satisfy their fan base. Get to play their 2 California teams and Navy.
They get a big payday, and the Big 10 only needs 2 more for 20.

You have been dead on all along on this expansion stuff. It sucks big time, however, as you have stated, SU’s seemingly fateful plight will have a lot to do with their own volition. :(

Our fate was sealed when the Old Big East failed to add Florida State along with Penn State for football back in 1990/91.

Heck if they wanted to throw one more in, Louisville was available too and had just had a decent few seasons in late 80s.

Hindsight I know, but imagine the original Big East with those three programs?

Buzz Shaw was the worst thing that ever happen to SU football. He shrunk our widow of success immensely. Who knows, maybe we’re still a top 25 team if we had a chancellor that recognizes the value of reinvesting some of that money back into the football and basketball program. He hamstrung a good AD, football coach and a hall of fame basketball coach.

Wait, ND fans talked themselves into a conference and then the ND admin decided not to join

Lolz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom