USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 44 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

If I were him and TerryD, I wouldn't be looking forward to much favorable officiating for the next 10 years.
It’s why I hope the fanbase enjoys the money.
They will lose their identity and independence and over time become the highly paid you know what they are.

I want them in the Big Ten.

You can have your 100 million a year. Power with a less money is sometimes better.
They won’t value the ACC which is fine and I honestly don’t care. They should have never been given the deal they got.
Again Swofford allowed them to have the status quo.
He just delayed the mess for his successor.

ACC needs to beat the Big 12 to this. We have the academic prestige that the Big 12 can’t touch, and that’s the other thing that school Presidents care most about.

The big12 has location over the ACC in spades.

What Phillips didn't see was that by denying the SEC and B1G the expanded playoff they wanted they would have a strong motive to kill off the ACC and PAC 12. Wonder if Swofford would have been more astute.
They were going to kill in in 2036 anyway.

Notre Dame only has one choice at this point and that is to become a full member of the ACC.

I would love to and believe it could happen, but don't want to jinx it. I hope the ACC finds success though, no matter what. It is a good conference.

Just out of curiosity...

when ND approached the ACC and inquired about a "non-football" membership, do you know how many votes they got?

Did 11 ACC Presidents vote for their inclusion? Was it 12, or 13? Or was it unanimous across the board?

Just out of curiosity...

when ND approached the ACC and inquired about a "non-football" membership, do you know how many votes they got?

Did 11 ACC Presidents vote for their inclusion? Was it 12, or 13? Or was it unanimous across the board?
I believe there was complaints by Clemson and FSU ( about partial and not being full) but it was unanimous I believe.

so given the way this is heading you have the SEC where people care about CFB.. you have the B10 with some big fan bases.. you have the PAC12 teams where the biggest marked care zero about CFB most of the time.. you have the B12 with the 2 biggest fan bases moving to the SEC and you have the ACC with some big schools struggling for years. Then you have ND

If it becomes 1-2 conf and then the rest, you lose many of the fan bases around the country, you probably loses the marginal fans as well. TV thinks money grows on trees but you still need the eyeballs and if schools all over are left out or cant compete at all people wont care anymore. Ok.Tex going to the SEC is great but you cant have 10 winners and if OK cant compete they become NEB pretty fast.

we already have the SEC with 1 big school and a few others and then a bunch of every once in awhiles. and t hey have fan bases that care .

12-16 teams you can make a conf work.. bigger than that it just doesnt..

I believe there was complaints by Clemson and FSU ( about partial and not being full) but it was unanimous I believe.

Seems fair. We had complaints from Duke and UNC our 1st time around.

A decade later the ACC was happy to have us and Pitt.

Best scenario for us, SEC throws us a lift boat. This depends on Florida wants to block Florida State and Miami, and SEC cares more on increasing footprint and OK to add punch bags in their eyes.

SEC 20 teams, 4 pod. Also B1G 20 teams, 4 pods.

SEC outer belt, north.
Syracuse, Pitt, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri.

SEC outer belt, west.
Texas, Oklahoma, Texas A&M, LSU, Arkansas

SEC East
North Carolina, South Carolina, Clemson, Georgia, Florida

SEC Central
Alabama, Auburn, Mississippi, Mississippi St, Vanderbilt

B1G West
Notre Dame, Stanford, Oregon, UCLA, USC

B1G North
Colorado, Nebraska, Minnesota, Iowa, Northwestern

B1G Central
Wisconsin, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, Illinois

B1G East
Maryland, PA State, Rutgers, Ohio State, Michigan

P5 becomes P4. Both ACC and Big12 become 14 or 16 team conference, 2 division each. Most likely:
ACC North:
UConn, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Virginia, BC, Louisville, Cincinnati.

ACC South:
Duke, NC State, Wake Forest, Georgia Tech, UCF, Miami, Florida State

Big 12 West
BYU and the remaining seven Pac 12 teams.

Big 12 East
Baylor, TCU, Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Iowa State, Kansas, Kansas State, Houston

ACC could also add Army and Navy for football only. Then move Virginia to south division and place Army and Navy in north division. Another possibility is SEC wants Virginia, not us. But I think we have better odds since New York state is bigger and Syracuse has more eyeballs to follow the team.

Last edited:
Seems fair. We had complaints from Duke and UNC our 1st time around.

A decade later the ACC was happy to have us and Pitt.
FSU and Clemson didn’t want expansion in 2011.

They were already sick of basketball first schools. It’s why the leveraged talking to the Big XII.
ACC wanted Syracuse and UConn in 2011.

Florida State said no. So it was adjusted to Syracuse and Pitt.

Maryland was talking to the Big Ten during this.
They weren’t committed to the ACC.

ACC added Pitt and Syracuse because it was the only way to get ESPN to up their annual payment from 15 million to about 23 million per year before the ACCN upped it to what it is now about 35 million per year.

The ACC signed such a bad deal in 2010 it screwed the conference long term survival.
Even when the conference renegotiated when Syracuse and Pitt joined the conference gave ESPN an extension on the rights for the increase.

The ACC leadership aka Swofford screwed this up.

ESPN will milk the ACC deal and then go the pieces it wants thru the SEC before it would let the ACC get on the market as currently constructed.

Definitely made ND realize that the ACC and us were not on the same page. This has been in motion a while and I believe for us it started in earnest when the ACC said no to expansion. We saw it as the ACC trying to force our hand into the conference.
Oy

so given the way this is heading you have the SEC where people care about CFB.. you have the B10 with some big fan bases.. you have the PAC12 teams where the biggest marked care zero about CFB most of the time.. you have the B12 with the 2 biggest fan bases moving to the SEC and you have the ACC with some big schools struggling for years. Then you have ND

If it becomes 1-2 conf and then the rest, you lose many of the fan bases around the country, you probably loses the marginal fans as well. TV thinks money grows on trees but you still need the eyeballs and if schools all over are left out or cant compete at all people wont care anymore. Ok.Tex going to the SEC is great but you cant have 10 winners and if OK cant compete they become NEB pretty fast.

we already have the SEC with 1 big school and a few others and then a bunch of every once in awhiles. and t hey have fan bases that care .

12-16 teams you can make a conf work.. bigger than that it just doesnt..
I think the only way for the SEC and BT to grab a total monopoly over CFB without losing an increasing part of the general football fan base is for each league to become huge: 32 members. Each league would have to manage that size by having 4 divisions of 8 that during regular season operate almost as their own 8 member conferences. And then the leagues have their own playoffs of at least all 4 division champs to determine the Conference Champ, who would meet the other Conference Champ in the College Super Bowl.

Between them, they would need to have members from coast to coast.

Last edited:
Definitely made ND realize that the ACC and us were not on the same page. This has been in motion a while and I believe for us it started in earnest when the ACC said no to expansion. We saw it as the ACC trying to force our hand into the conference.
Talk about totally self-absorbed. The ACC saw that proposal as one designed by Sankey to benefit the SEC. The ACC has always been deliberate. Everything is examined carefully. There is no way the ACC would have backed such a huge change simply because Sankey and Swarbrick and Bowslby swore they could be trusted it was good for the sport and all conferences and teams.

Swarbrick would have backed that SEC plan precisely because he assumed that with that large a playoff, ND come get a slot most years. Again, Notre Dame selfishness is necessary for all the worst trouble.

The Big Ten loved slowing down the process.
They want Fox to get a piece of the CFB playoffs.

ESPN was going to get the expansion as they owned the rights for the original 12 years.
This was what they wanted and they had the SEC doing their bidding.

The Big ten wants expansion but wanted to restrict the amount of SEC teams eligible and wanted the rights to go on the market.
Plus the Big Ten wasn’t aware of Oklahoma/Texas to the SEC was in the cards.

Notre Dame was all about themselves as usual.

This action by the ACC actually showed some stones. The conference is screwed because of Swofford. Not Phillips.

The Big Ten vs. SEC is really Fox vs. ESPN and we are an afterthought.
ESPN's great mistake was in not making certain that the ACC was on that committee. ESPN worked with the SEC and only the SEC, which means that the ACC was blindsided and certain, after OU and Texas announced they were going to the SEC, to see the whole mess as nasty mess that could not be trusted.

Terry and ND fans will say why if we are giving up our independence should we not take the biggest paycheck available.

Aka join the Big Ten.

It’s why ND is a parasite and is the worst.
They don’t value partnership they think they are above it and keep getting their way.
Why because they know in the end they will take the paycheck from the Big Ten but don’t want to do it until they are forced too.

It’s why the other conferences shouldn’t have allowed ND the status quo. Make them join the Big Ten. They don’t want to then they will join another conference but don’t give them what they have now.

The ACC could survive if ND committed full time. They won’t and nor do I expect them too. They are what I have said the whole time a parasite who wants the status quo.

The 14 ACC schools are going to get carved up. Some to the Big Ten, some to the SEC and the rest will be a new Big East football conference circa post Miami.

Not as good as the power conferences but better than the mid majors.

We have neglected football for far too long.
It’s our own fault.

We have been getting ACC checks since 2013 and where was investment in football right away? It took years to get charter planes, increase the recruiting budget.

We went cheap with Shafer, and took the paychecks.

I like Dino but keeping him was a total cheap maneuver.

We aren’t serious about football so we can’t complain we are going to go down a peg.

It’s looking like 4 Pac-12 teams Arizona/Arizona State/Utah/Colorado will look at the 12 Big 12 school for a 16 team league.

Washington and Oregon are really the ones to watch.
I don’t think they are locks for the Big Ten. Stanford and Cal make way more sense.

Agree with everything, except I think Dino is a pretty good, well-respected College Football coach/figure, all in all.

I think that was good strategy by AD.

But otherwise I wish you were way wrong.

My link was from 1999.
Showing that Notre Dame strung the Big Ten around and we were actually one of the next teams in the line at that point.

Notre Dame is going to end up in the Big Ten this time unless they decide to join the SEC which would be a very ND move.

They are going to extract as much of the status quo they can from the ACC and then leave another conference for their best interests.

We let these fleas into our conference and didn’t realize they are always about themselves and not being a true partner.
The ND fans that troll our board epitomize why it’s the worst fanbase in college sports.

I don’t want them to bail my school out I just want them to realize their chit does stink and make a damn decision if you want football independence be independent in everything and get the bleep out.

ND, Stanford, North carolina, and one of Florida State or Miami to the Big Ten is my prediction.

ESPN will want to hold onto North Carolina.
That is where the SEC and Big Ten next battle really is. Over UNC.

UNC can likely leverage one partner from both conferences.

USC and UCLA IMO don’t want Oregon/Washington they want to get away from them. USC kinda resents Oregon in an old money vs new money type of country club feud.

USC and UCLA likely want Stanford and Cal only from the Pac-12.
We shall see but the SEC is only going to do what ESPN wants.

Big Ten wants Notre Dame and will do whatever gets them.
Notre Dame football in the SEC would force ND to try to become a 'basketball school.' SEC regular seasons would chew up and spit out ND football. In the BT, ND would soon realize it is just a small private school with no power even if it gets lucky and wins the conference championship in football once a decade.

Notre Dame football in the SEC would force ND to try to become a 'basketball school.' SEC regular seasons would chew up and spit out ND football. In the BT, ND would soon realize it is just a small private school with no power even if it gets lucky and wins the conference championship in football once a decade.
It is really hard to see ND in the SEC. I think many would be spinning in their graves. ND just doesn't go with the SEC culture at all. Other than Vandy they have zero in common with those schools.
My gut tells me that they stay independent or possibly just possibly there is going to be a deal announced that puts them in the ACC which is a good fit. The GOR is a much bigger roadblock than most understand.
Unless there is a brokered deal by ESPN with properties, they control ACC SEC there is zero chance that the big grabs the ACC teams.

Notre Dame has 2 choices since they are not going to spend the money to buy out their GOR. They can stay at the status they are currently at or they can become full members of the ACC. If they stay indy in football and wait until the GOR becomes smaller, I don't think the conference is going to do them any favors and will largely treat them as an interloper, or they can join the ACC and contribute to the league and then leave when the GOR is doable. They really only have 1 choice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom