USC and UCLA to the Big Ten | Page 65 | Syracusefan.com

USC and UCLA to the Big Ten

I would put an asterisk next to Seton Hall, and two next to Georgetown and St. John's, because they are not primary tenants in those facilities. The Pirates are second fiddle to the Devils; the Hoyas (Caps/Wizards) and the Red Storm (Rangers/Knicks) are third fiddle. Which means they don't get first pick (or second) of playing dates.
yeah, thats pretty stupid.

seton hall also uses the curtain to cut off sales at like 9k even for big games.

i guess siena and suny albany might be in line for a b1g invite too, they both can use a 17k arena.

UVa would leave them behind in a NY minute. VA politicians OTH ...
Yeah that’s what I meant. I can’t see UVA going anywhere alone without consideration for VPI after what went down in 2003.

UVa would leave them behind in a NY minute. VA politicians OTH ...
So, if (and at present, this is not the case), but if UVa has its choice upon departure, I think they’d go SEC > B10. It is a southern school at heart, perhaps not a deep southern school. But that is where it’s culture leans. At the very least, it is certainly not midwestern.

Now, don’t lose sight of this, the Cavaliers will stay in the ACC for the foreseeable future, but I also see them (in time) following UNC’s lead. Could be in 2034 or some similar time frame. As a package deal of sorts. And UNC is even a smidge more southern than UVa. (And I could give two ships where Jim DeLaney went to school, so save that for your SwimSwam board buddies)

Last edited:
Of all the Public Ivys, UVA is the campus that has a feel most like an elite private school. In some ways, UVA has a feel across campus that is more super elite private college than Dook has.
Back in the Day, we used to say that UVa was the only state-supported private school in the US. (That was also before state support dropped to only 7% of our budget.)

Back in the Day, we used to say that UVa was the only state-supported private school in the US. (That was also before state support dropped to only 7% of our budget.)

You take too many out of state kids.

You take too many out of state kids.
There's an agreement that OOS enrollment won't exceed 35%. It's a little less than that right now. OOS students are the ones building up our exclusivity and SAT scores. The last OOS student admitted is probably in the 75th percentile of the in-staters. In the early 90s, a blueprint was created to take us private, pretty much copying Cornell, Alfred, and SU by hosting 2 or 3 schools that would remain controlled by the state, because Governor Wilder wanted to take our donation annual money and spread it out over all the state schools. No one has done it since because they know the plans sit on the shelf, ready for use. If it ever happened, the ratio would be reversed, maybe to Hopkins' 75-25 ratio.

Last edited:
Of all the Public Ivys, UVA is the campus that has a feel most like an elite private school. In some ways, UVA has a feel across campus that is more super elite private college than Dook has.
I went to grad school at UNC and live near UVA. UNC has a nicer campus, but I admit bias. Both are nicer than Dook. UVA takes about 51% in state, UNC is at 81% (undergrad only). They both do ok academically.

Well...UVA is kinda ok, but William & Mary is the place to go in Virginia. Even Thomas Jefferson thought so...

What is best for a private school like the CUSE? Go to a conference where you get paid a lot of cash or one that you can be competitive and win championships? Let's get real here for we all know that the CUSE will NEVER compete for a B1G or SEC football title if invited to either. From a former players perspective, I would like the Orange to compete with like universities and after all this realignment nonsense, driven by super greedy and socially woke ESPN is over, there will be plenty of teams to align with. SU must strongly consider its hoops program when making a decision for we are solid with a national brand (will be even better when JB retires). Having a conference with Duke, Louisville, Kansas, Miami, WVU, etc. will keep our beloved basketball program intact and allow it to thrive. Football can be exciting again for the CUSE will be able to compete on the field and WIN like the old days before Shaw, Cantor, Gross and GRob ruined the program with their bad coaching decisions and lack of financial support.
There is no way the ACC survives if UVA, UNC, FSU and Clemson leave for the SEC and if so, blow up the entire conference and start anew.

What is best for a private school like the CUSE? Go to a conference where you get paid a lot of cash or one that you can be competitive and win championships? Let's get real here for we all know that the CUSE will NEVER compete for a B1G or SEC football title if invited to either. From a former players perspective, I would like the Orange to compete with like universities and after all this realignment nonsense, driven by super greedy and socially woke ESPN is over, there will be plenty of teams to align with. SU must strongly consider its hoops program when making a decision for we are solid with a national brand (will be even better when JB retires). Having a conference with Duke, Louisville, Kansas, Miami, WVU, etc. will keep our beloved basketball program intact and allow it to thrive. Football can be exciting again for the CUSE will be able to compete on the field and WIN like the old days before Shaw, Cantor, Gross and GRob ruined the program with their bad coaching decisions and lack of financial support.
There is no way the ACC survives if UVA, UNC, FSU and Clemson leave for the SEC and if so, blow up the entire conference and start anew.

I can’t get excited about playing football in a weak conference.

This isn’t like CBB where teams like Gonzaga can thrive outside of a major conference.

I’m sure there will be a market for content outside of the B1G/SEC, should the worst case scenario occur, but it would feel way too “minor leagues” for me to really continue to be passionate about our program.

At least now, I don’t feel apathetic until halfway through the season. Hope can still spring eternal that we can be a borderline Top 25 team that matters in the CFB landscape year to year.

Feels like forever ago, but I still remember how hype I was to see our university in the CFP rankings .. even if I knew we weren’t a title contender. I don’t need much from this program… but I fear even that would be lost if we are squeezed out of realignment.

We have a multimillion dollar stadium on campus.

Anything less than a major conference is a financial disaster. There are no time machines here. We arent going back to the Big East. We aren't joining the MAC. We aren't joining the Patriot League.

Its ACC...or some Hail Mary Big Ten situation (which seems impossible given the AAU thing) ...or, worst case, something new with the best, most "major", of the remnants (this scenario stinks honestly). Or I guess really really worst case some awful Indy situation.

But we aren't folding up shop and playing Fordham and Colgate. That would be incredibly awful financially and reputationally and its crazy I keep seeing suggestions like that.

Anything less than a major conference is a financial disaster. There are no time machines here. We arent going back to the Big East. We aren't joining the MAC. We aren't joining the Patriot League.

Its ACC...or some Hail Mary Big Ten situation (which seems impossible given the AAU thing) ...or, worst case, something new with the best, most "major", of the remnants (this scenario stinks honestly). Or I guess really really worst case some awful Indy situation.

But we aren't folding up shop and playing Fordham and Colgate. That would be incredibly awful financially and reputationally and its crazy I keep seeing suggestions like that.

One would think, if AAU accreditation was truly holding us back from a B1G invite, that New York State could work with the University to rectify that.

College Football is big business and is New York ok with not being represented in a potential landscape shift?

Maybe my view is distorted living in SEC country now, but that would seem to be quite a failure for the state.

Ultimately the consumer will have a say as i've said. If the entire northeast is shut out of major college football it may be a huge loss financially for networks or a blip because the interest really lied with Penn St and ND and not UConn, Syracuse and BC.

Time will tell if college football will need us. I think personally they will because the history of the sport is incomplete without our program. But the decisions so far seem to be one minded and financial only. Zero bend on history

I can’t get excited about playing football in a weak conference.

This isn’t like CBB where teams like Gonzaga can thrive outside of a major conference.

I’m sure there will be a market for content outside of the B1G/SEC, should the worst case scenario occur, but it would feel way too “minor leagues” for me to really continue to be passionate about our program.

At least now, I don’t feel apathetic until halfway through the season. Hope can still spring eternal that we can be a borderline Top 25 team that matters in the CFB landscape year to year.

Feels like forever ago, but I still remember how hype I was to see our university in the CFP rankings .. even if I knew we weren’t a title contender. I don’t need much from this program… but I fear even that would be lost if we are squeezed out of realignment.
At this point it doesn't look like total super conference realignment will happen. There will be some interim period where the current order stays in place, probably 3-5 years.

One would think, if AAU accreditation was truly holding us back from a B1G invite, that New York State could work with the University to rectify that.

College Football is big business and is New York ok with not being represented in a potential landscape shift?

Maybe my view is distorted living in SEC country now, but that would seem to be quite a failure for the state.

NY is useless when it comes to this stuff. Not going to turn it political but if were waiting on the state to help or do something we'll be playing Hobart and Ithaca in 10 years.

if NYS got involved...suny buffalo would be in the b1g.

or suny stony brook.

buffalo just makes more sense because they could play at whatever they call the bills stadium...its not still Rich, right??

Cincy making both lists hurts. I might bet them big since I always lose anyway.

I wish I could parlay that with how many HR's are hit at Fenway tonight.

if NYS got involved...suny buffalo would be in the b1g.

or suny stony brook.

buffalo just makes more sense because they could play at whatever they call the bills stadium...its not still Rich, right??
The land grant university of New York is actually Cornell, not Buffalo, not Stony Brook.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom