USMNT - Greg Berhalter Takes Over | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

USMNT - Greg Berhalter Takes Over

I look at the roster and I feel good about Pulisic and Adams and after that not much. I agreed about Sargent although he was poor against Jamaica ( as were almost everyone )

I'm 100% out on Berhalter until Adams is only played at defensive mid. He plays that position for a club that finished third in the Bundesliga and will be in the Champions League next season. Play your best guys at their best positions.

Venezuela finished dead last in 2018 CONMEBOL qualifying and they destroyed us in the first half on US soil.

We aren’t doing squat with this manager. This roster is garbage outside of a few pieces. Good job USSF hiring the status quo.
Venezuela is not Brazil or Argentina or hell even Columbia.

Zardes, Morris, Arriola were bigtime garbage in this match.
Altidore showed he is by far the best we have as a holding forward.

I'm 100% out on Berhalter until Adams is only played at defensive mid. He plays that position for a club that finished third in the Bundesliga and will be in the Champions League next season. Play your best guys at their best positions.
Agree! And especially since Will Trapp does not seem ready to handle that position against top competition.

I would rather the manager be Tab Ramos.
The technical play from the u-20 was miles better than the crap we have seen under Berhalter.

I didn't get a chance to watch today's game, but I 100% agree with your sentiment.

I understand what he's trying to do with the hybrid role for Adams, but I'm thinking you don't play that unless it's a dire situation. Whether it was Eddie Lewis 13 years ago or Beasley last cycle -- you don't plug and play, especially on defense. I'd rather fill the RB position with our best RB available rather than pull maybe our second best player out of his preferred and best position.

A couple real issues I had with the goals we conceded based on the highlights:

On the first goal, Steffen made another HUGE error with the ball at his feet. Twice in two games he's given the ball away in extremely dangerous situations because he can't play the modern GK game with the ball at his feet. Hopefully everyone who thought he had a real shot in Man City can now see he is unfit for their style.

I think the second goal was much more concerning. A simple two-man play off of a throw-in pulled our entire defense out of position. I hate it because when players leave such a large hole in front of the goal it usually means they don't understand the defensive system/responsibilities/covers or the players aren't mentally focused. Then that third goal from a simple run between the seam of our two CBs... jeez...

I don't know what to think right now, but man I was expecting more.

Zardes, Morris, Arriola were bigtime garbage in this match.
Altidore showed he is by far the best we have as a holding forward.

Holy cow, that was awful. When Arriola and Zardes are your primary two attacking threats, you know that lineup is crap.

What was even worse, though, was how absolutely awful the defense was. Zach Steffen - what is Berhalter doing using this guy to play out of the back? At least get someone in there who can keep a clean sheet, like Bill Hamid.

Berhalter should have been breaking things in the locker room at halftime of that mess.

I still don't think Berhalter is a disaster, but the whole 18 month waiting period for the new coach has been shown to be a terrible, terrible idea. All our fan support has been squandered, and these guys are still just getting to know each other with us a week away from a Gold Cup.

I will be shocked if this team gets out of the group stage.

Holy cow, that was awful. When Arriola and Zardes are your primary two attacking threats, you know that lineup is crap.

What was even worse, though, was how absolutely awful the defense was. Zach Steffen - what is Berhalter doing using this guy to play out of the back? At least get someone in there who can keep a clean sheet, like Bill Hamid.

I still don't think Berhalter is a disaster, but the whole 18 month waiting period for the new coach has been shown to be a terrible, terrible idea. All our fan support has been squandered, and these guys are still just getting to know each other with us a week away from a Gold Cup.

I will be shocked if this team gets out of the group stage.
Good analysis.
We will make the Semifinals of the Gold Cup or he should be fired though.
Berthalter doesn’t need to win this Gold Cup but we have no business doing worse than semifinals and losing to a Panama or Jamaica.

No reason we don’t get to the Semis.
He gets that result he gets the 18 months.

Zero point zero.
CONCACAF isn’t hard.
We don’t have Costa Rica or Mexico on our half either.

Good analysis.
We will make the Semifinals of the Gold Cup or he should be fired though.
Berthalter doesn’t need to win this Gold Cup but we have no business doing worse than semifinals and losing to a Panama or Jamaica.

No reason we don’t get to the Semis.
He gets that result he gets the 18 months.

Zero point zero.
CONCACAF isn’t hard.
We don’t have Costa Rica or Mexico on our half either.

Well, this team needs to show some fire, that's for sure.
I hate to think the coach has to go after only 6 months, but if he crashes out in the group stage, then you might start hearing some grumbling. But with the whole hiring process taking so damn long, I cannot imagine them dumping him so soon.

Well, this team needs to show some fire, that's for sure.
I hate to think the coach has to go after only 6 months, but if he crashes out in the group stage, then you might start hearing some grumbling. But with the whole hiring process taking so damn long, I cannot imagine them dumping him so soon.
He shouldn’t get fired unless we can’t get out the group stage of the CONCACAF Gold Cup on home soil.

Just get out of the group stage and he gets the early portion of the WCQ cycle.

He shouldn’t get fired unless we can’t get out the group stage of the CONCACAF Gold Cup on home soil.

Just get out of the group stage and he gets the early portion of the WCQ cycle.

Ths doesn't reflect too well on the quality of play (or coaching) in MLS.

I was firmly on record last year as saying this team needed an Italian coach to tighten up their defense and teach them some tactical flexibility. That remains the case.

Based on the player pool of USA they should hire a bunker/counter manager. They are not good enough to play whatever style GGG thinks they can do.

I really do think playing Adams only at DM will help a lot. They got overrun twice in midfielder playing Wil freaking Trapp.

Lot of trash being heaped on GB and the US Nats. One B side game against Jaimaica and admitted bad outing against Venezuela. I’m going to hold judgement for a couple of weeks.

Lot of trash being heaped on GB and the US Nats. One B side game against Jaimaica and admitted bad outing against Venezuela. I’m going to hold judgement for a couple of weeks.
If GB was the choice to lead the national team why did it take 9 months for Ernie Stewart to hire him?

We lost a year of development by the actions our of own federation.
We knew before Russia 2018 we needed a manager and it took way too long to hire someone.
Plus GB’s style doesn’t seem realistic based on the talent we have.

Our federation has so much resources and it hires an uninspiring candidate.
GB is in a tough spot.

We should never lose a home game to Jamaica. Losing at the office is understandable from time to time.
Klinsmann got killed for losing to Jamaica in Gold Cup 2015. GB got a pass for that Jamaica game last week.
Then we got humiliated by the 10th best team from South America.

0 goals against and Jamaica and Venezuela that isn’t grounds for optimism.

I would be patient if the manager gave reason too I just don’t have faith in GB.

I don’t want MLS coaches in charge of the national team. Get the best manager period and it’s hard to believe those managers are in MLS.

Based on the player pool of USA they should hire a bunker/counter manager. They are not good enough to play whatever style GGG thinks they can do.

I really do think playing Adams only at DM will help a lot. They got overrun twice in midfielder playing Wil freaking Trapp.

LOL - one metric gave Trapp its first 0.0 player rating in 35 years. He was so bad that he never possessed the ball for more than 1.3 seconds... as our calming holding midfielder.

I was kinda hoping we'd play the way that Atletico Madrid does, given they have shown a propensity for playing up against big clubs, while stifling the small clubs. I believe they run a 4-4-2 with Griezman in the hole. Seems like GGG may already be setting the team up this way defensively. But I am ignorant as to how possible it is to establish such systems with what amounts to part time players.

Every manager has his trusted guys. If GGG really trusts Trapp and keeps starting him well then GGG won't last the Hex.

I'm recording the women's game today. Sucks that soccer is literally the one game that you gain nothing as far as watching it quicker on DVR.

I didn't get a chance to watch today's game, but I 100% agree with your sentiment.

I understand what he's trying to do with the hybrid role for Adams, but I'm thinking you don't play that unless it's a dire situation. Whether it was Eddie Lewis 13 years ago or Beasley last cycle -- you don't plug and play, especially on defense. I'd rather fill the RB position with our best RB available rather than pull maybe our second best player out of his preferred and best position.

A couple real issues I had with the goals we conceded based on the highlights:

On the first goal, Steffen made another HUGE error with the ball at his feet. Twice in two games he's given the ball away in extremely dangerous situations because he can't play the modern GK game with the ball at his feet. Hopefully everyone who thought he had a real shot in Man City can now see he is unfit for their style.

I think the second goal was much more concerning. A simple two-man play off of a throw-in pulled our entire defense out of position. I hate it because when players leave such a large hole in front of the goal it usually means they don't understand the defensive system/responsibilities/covers or the players aren't mentally focused. Then that third goal from a simple run between the seam of our two CBs... jeez...

I don't know what to think right now, but man I was expecting more.

Well, Steffen is only 20, right? Maybe Man City will coach him up about playing from the back.
Yeah, the centerback pairing had a dreadful night. Miazga came way too far out on the throw.

Well, Steffen is only 20, right? Maybe Man City will coach him up about playing from the back.
Yeah, the centerback pairing had a dreadful night. Miazga came way too far out on the throw.
Steffen is 24 and last week was loaned to a team in Germany that was promoted to the Bundesliga last year.
So he will get a starting spot with a top flight team in Germany.

If GB was the choice to lead the national team why did it take 9 months for Ernie Stewart to hire him?

We lost a year of development by the actions our of own federation.
We knew before Russia 2018 we needed a manager and it took way too long to hire someone.
Plus GB’s style doesn’t seem realistic based on the talent we have.

Our federation has so much resources and it hires an uninspiring candidate.
GB is in a tough spot.

We should never lose a home game to Jamaica. Losing at the office is understandable from time to time.
Klinsmann got killed for losing to Jamaica in Gold Cup 2015. GB got a pass for that Jamaica game last week.
Then we got humiliated by the 10th best team from South America.

0 goals against and Jamaica and Venezuela that isn’t grounds for optimism.

I would be patient if the manager gave reason too I just don’t have faith in GB.

I don’t want MLS coaches in charge of the national team. Get the best manager period and it’s hard to believe those managers are in MLS.
The best performance of A USA squad was the 2002 WC team. A blown handball call from making the Semis, that was a MLS manager. I don’t care if our manager is from MLS , Europe , or Antarctica. Klinsmann sent the program backwards IMO. And you may be right about GB. I’m just holding judgement till I see more.

The best performance of A USA squad was the 2002 WC team. A blown handball call from making the Semis, that was a MLS manager. I don’t care if our manager is from MLS , Europe , or Antarctica. Klinsmann sent the program backwards IMO. And you may be right about GB. I’m just holding judgement till I see more.

We've got MLS coaches that have

- led Ajax and Inter Milan,
- spent their coaching career at Barca, Bayern, and Man City
- led River Plate
- led Lyon and Aston Villa
- led Boca Juniors and Palermo

MLS just had coaches leave to take over Mexico (who's crushing it right now) and a UEFA Champions League squad. But people on this board automatically brand MLS as unequivocally bad without even following the league -- it doesn't matter that 3/4 trips to the knock out rounds were under MLS guys or that high profile guys have crashed and burned. They just don't like the league.

We've got MLS coaches that have

- led Ajax and Inter Milan,
- spent their coaching career at Barca, Bayern, and Man City
- led River Plate
- led Lyon and Aston Villa
- led Boca Juniors and Palermo

MLS just had coaches leave to take over Mexico (who's crushing it right now) and a UEFA Champions League squad. But people on this board automatically brand MLS as unequivocally bad without even following the league -- it doesn't matter that 3/4 trips to the knock out rounds were under MLS guys or that high profile guys have crashed and burned. They just don't like the league.
The league is fine. It’s AAA soccer compared to the big leagues.
Just like European basketball compared to the NBA.

The problem is the league isn’t developing world class talent for the USA. It’s developing talent for the other CONCACAF teams to get better against us.

The coaches in the MLS are not going to elevate the US to be a consistent world class team.
Of course their are outliers who are better than average.
The USSF went cheap post-Klinsmann.
Klinsmann was an awful manager Joachim Low did all the tactical work for Klinsmann when he managed Germany. However Klinsmann had the right idea for what the direction the US Soccer team should go towards.
Problem is Klinsmann sucked and he lost the team after he kept Donovan off the roster in the WC 2014 out of spite.

US Soccer needs a manager who will develop the skills of the players. Player development has to get better. The problem IMO started when guys like Michael Bradley took MLS money to play here over developing into better players over in Europe.

That is the problem I have with MLS. I don’t blame a player for taking money to play in North America over in Italy but the league isn’t world class and doesn’t challenge the players. Hopefully the league gets better and the Mexican league partnership helps the American teams.

If MLS wants to be taken more seriously by myself then it should.

1.Play a season like the European leagues do. Home/home with every team and if you want to do a playoff off that fine.
2. Play August thru May like the rest of the world.
The NFL is done by January and then can take a winter break like the cold weather countries do overseas.
3. Institute a promotion/Relegation system. If teams can’t take being relegated then win enough.

MLS only survives now because they are financially disciplined and that is smart but it shows the league’s problem. Teams that want to spend more can’t and not all teams have to use their max DP slots if they don’t want too.

The roster is an issue, and the coaching staff has left us with little faith moving forward.

That said, they can shock us and run out the remaining schedule in June, go 3-0 in favorable fashion, and position themselves for a strong finish to the year.

Or, we can say they might as well make the roster full of under 23 players and play for the future

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom