Ut oh...Grant out of the 1st round? Ennis to the T'wolves | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ut oh...Grant out of the 1st round? Ennis to the T'wolves

No one has seen Exum enough to even know if he is a 1 or a 2.

Folks are getting dizzy with excitement over a guy who played against awful competition.

What are you basing elevating him this high in the draft?
Exum has played in the Australian Pro Basketball League this past year instead of going to college for one year. His father played for UNC as well as pro basketball. Hey, Ennis and Grant played against "awful competition"! [ and lost ] Boston College,Georgia Tech, etc.

In that second video against sub D1 talent he made 100% of his three point shots. Truth is accoroding to the stats you provided he actually misses 71% of those. He also looked great on his FT attempts never missing one, do you know what his FT% is? I also noticed he had a hard time playing through contact when being fouled at the basket. He looks very quick. I'm going to look at his other tapes.

In that second video against sub D1 talent he made 100% of his three point shots. Truth is accoroding to the stats you provided he actually misses 71% of those. He also looked great on his FT attempts never missing one, do you know what his FT% is? I also noticed he had a hard time playing through contact when being fouled at the basket. He looks very quick. I'm going to look at his other tapes.

He's not a very good FT shooter either. He had one game in the U-19 where he went like 12/13 or something, but I think overall, he shot below 70%.

If I had to sum up what makes him attractive very shortly, I think people basically see his athletic tools, approach to the game, craftiness, and leadership (he's apparently come across extremely well in the interviews), and they project him to build on all of that and become a star.

Who here said that about Grant?

I remember it being overwhelmingly the opposite.

Ennis' decision was a bit more polarizing for a few reasons - but I think even the people that thought Ennis should go, didnt think he would be a great pro - just said his stock wouldn't be higher.

I know it's fun to bash forum behavior - but I dont really understand this 1.

"Start that earning clock AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Better to develop on the bench or in the D League and GET PAID FOR IT, than go to college.

YOU WOULD DO THE SAME THING, you're just selfish and want Syracuse to win!"

Yes, that stuff is all over this board from quite a few posters and many apply it uniformly to all players, without taking the context of numerous different situations into account.

I like Grant. I hope he goes in the first round, and goes to a good organization.

"Start that earning clock AS SOON AS POSSIBLE!

Better to develop on the bench or in the D League and GET PAID FOR IT, than go to college.

YOU WOULD DO THE SAME THING, you're just selfish and want Syracuse to win!"

Yes, that stuff is all over this board from quite a few posters and many apply it uniformly to all players, without taking the context of numerous different situations into account.

I like Grant. I hope he goes in the first round, and goes to a good organization.

I think you are taking a vocal minority and making it the majority in this case.

double dope slap.
if you're popping out early just to go late first or second round then chances are you have made a bad decision.

Who here said that about Grant?

I remember it being overwhelmingly the opposite.

Ennis' decision was a bit more polarizing for a few reasons - but I think even the people that thought Ennis should go, didnt think he would be a great pro - just said his stock wouldn't be higher.

I know it's fun to bash forum behavior - but I dont really understand this 1.
I had a back and forth with someone that said he had to go, right after he announced his decision. I don't remember who it was, but his argument was that Grant was a guaranteed first rounder. Mine was that he was projected too late in the first round, so if he slipped, the 2nd round was too much of a possibility.

I had a back and forth with someone that said he had to go, right after he announced his decision. I don't remember who it was, but his argument was that Grant was a guaranteed first rounder. Mine was that he was projected too late in the first round, so if he slipped, the 2nd round was too much of a possibility.

again... we are a forum of a 1000 posters. there is going to be different of opinions. but the majority questioned the decision.

Might have been me. I've thought all year that he "needed" to go as I didn't see returning to SU as increasing his value (or his jumper). A month from the draft and I think he'll do enough in workouts to land in the 1st round- especially with OKC and Chicago holding 2 1st rd picks.

I still think there's a very high chance that both Grant and Ennis would go lower in the draft had they stayed another year, so I can't say it's a bad decision for either of them no matter where they go.

I still think there's a very high chance that both Grant and Ennis would go lower in the draft had they stayed another year, so I can't say it's a bad decision for either of them no matter where they go.
Yup, if either of them fall it doesn't necessarily mean they should have come back to improve their draft position. It's possible that even while falling, they were still drafted as highly as they ever would have been.

again... we are a forum of a 1000 posters. there is going to be different of opinions. but the majority questioned the decision.
In the threads I read, I didn't post in all of them, the opinion seemed to lean toward him leaving.

In the threads I read, I didn't post in all of them, the opinion seemed to lean toward him leaving.

i think the opinion was that he would leave... not that it was a good decision.

i think the opinion was that he would leave... not that it was a good decision.
I think the discussion I had was before he declared, but it was about whether it was a good decision, not what people thought he would decide. I think both things were discussed in the same thread.

TexanMark said:
Grant has millionaires in the family tree...so stupid to go now.
Has or had

Yup, if either of them fall it doesn't necessarily mean they should have come back to improve their draft position. It's possible that even while falling, they were still drafted as highly as they ever would have been.

Well we will never know what would have happened if they stayed a year, so it is an easy stance to take.

Well we will never know what would have happened if they stayed a year, so it is an easy stance to take.
You're right. The only thing we do know is that if you compare Grant's stock at the beginning of the season to his stock at the end of the season, it went up. That's a good indicator of when to jump.

You're right. The only thing we do know is that if you compare Grant's stock at the beginning of the season to his stock at the end of the season, it went up. That's a good indicator of when to jump.

But he is no lock to even be a first round pick at this point, his own father when asked had no idea where he was going to be taken.

So if he is a 2nd round pick, did he still make the right decision?
Most likely. Rising stock meant the probabilities were working in his favor. He made the right decision by going with the probabilities. You almost always make a better decision when going with the probabilities than basing your decision on the results, because flukes happen. The rest is unknown.

Last edited:
IMO - Ennis will never be drafted as high as he will this year, whereas Grant could have moved up if his game evolved.

Yeah, my opinion has always been that Ennis needed to go. I just don't see his stock rising with another year.

Grant, still think he should have stayed. Show off some different dimensions and see what you get. He wasn't going to slide at all, at least any further than he is now, so see if you can jump urself up.

Most likely. Rising stock meant the probabilities were working in his favor. He made the right decision by going with the probabilities. You almost always make a better decision when going with the probabilities than basing your decision on the results, because flukes happen. The rest is unknown.

So going in the 2nd round, no guaranteed money, possibly going to the d league is better than coming back to syracuse for a year? Is he going to forget how to play the game?