UVA is too smart and well coached to play zone against | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UVA is too smart and well coached to play zone against

Speaking of coaching, Bennett's strategy was to force a stop, and get the ball back with :10 left, and d0wn 3? Dubious, at best.

Also, that Pack Line D got their stuff pushed in hard by Duke down the stretch

I like that plan. No way it could go wrong.

Unless the team that's scoring at will scores. Ooooops.

TBCuse11 said:
Duke and UVA are so, so, so, so much better than us... its amazing. We should be 10 point dogs vs both.

At least.

Ghost said:
We'll beat one of them - I hope. We usually have one good win, even when we're bad.

When was the last time we were this bad though? I get that we could pull a win out but these are two very elite teams while we're average.

When was the last time we were this bad though? I get that we could pull a win out but these are two very elite teams while we're average.

C'mon...let me have my dream. :( I gotta root for something!

BludOrange said:
Virginia plays too slow to run away from quality teams. College bball is watered down and every team can be beat on any given night.

Jeez. They lose a game to Duke and now they're no good.

BludOrange said:
Twist people's words often?

Sorry, it's just odd to quickly discredit the #2 team in the nation and essentially say they can't hang with the big boys.

Virginia plays too slow to run away from quality teams. College bball is watered down and every team can be beat on any given night.

They have routed some quality teams I believe. They pissed this one away and Duke made a bunch of deep, clutch threes. They will be a tough out in the Tourney.

They can hang. However, their snail's pace allows other teams to hang with them if they shoot a decent percentage. Virginia is the second slowest team in all of D1.

Sorry, it's just odd to quickly discredit the #2 team in the nation and essentially say they can't hang with the big boys.
They were also in a dog fight with the mighty hokies of Virginia Tech. Further proving anyone can be beat on any given night. I agree, they do play slow and that can get them into trouble.

I thought the difference was Virginia relaxing with the lead, and Duke's zone lulling them into slowing down on offense where they were very tentative. Alot of empty possessions and bad turnovers late for the Cavs after playing catch on the perimeter for 20 seconds. Add in the poor clock management and that's that.

K beat them by going to the 2-3 zone the last 10 minutes. Of course, it really helps to shoot treys lights out like
Duke did. Our zone would look a lot better if we could shoot the 3 like Duke.

Madbiker said:
K beat them by going to the 2-3 zone the last 10 minutes. Of course, it really helps to shoot treys lights out like Duke did. Our zone would look a lot better if we could shoot the 3 like Duke.

I think the 6-8 from three was the biggest part of the comeback personally.

As syr14 pointed out, Va tech almost beat them if not for a heroic 3. Anyone can be beat. How many close games has the mighty kentucky had vs so-so teams.

This thread is entering the h-I-larious ZONE.
There is nothing hilarious about Duke making shots to win the game. My point was against the zone UVA got the ball to the correct spot almost every possession and executed well against the zone D. Duke made shots like crazy in the last 5 minutes if you think their D is why they won I doubt many would agree. I give K credit for mixing it up but UVA knew where to get the ball against a zone D. That is hilarious because Duke won why?

There is nothing hilarious about Duke making shots to win the game. My point was against the zone UVA got the ball to the correct spot almost every possession and executed well against the zone D. Duke made shots like crazy in the last 5 minutes if you think their D is why they won I doubt many would agree. I give K credit for mixing it up but UVA knew where to get the ball against a zone D. That is hilarious because Duke won why?

Which they also know how to do against m2m. Who do you want shooting late to beat you? Toby or Brogden/Anderson.

I think you missed the humor in my post as well.

UVa attacked the zone very well--for a while.

They did not score at all for the last 3 minutes. Mainly because they didn't get the right shots from the right guys at the right places on the court. Which means they didn't attack the zone properly for the last three minutes. I would guess the the main reason was what Bilas calls "game pressure". Less kindly, they choked at the end.

Well Virginia shot 41 percent and 23 percent from three. Both well below their season averages. Sounds like Duke played some pretty good defense to me.

Defense isn't going to be the problem when we play Virginia...

Every once in a while there's a bit of real wisdom on the board. If I could triple like this post, I would.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
McCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom