UVA scored 84 on Cuse | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

UVA scored 84 on Cuse

More than any team. Next up? Tarleton state with UVA scoring 80. So to all that think Syracuse was good this year, let that sink in.
but it's 100% players, 0% coaching.

Our loss to them looks bad, however UNC won the regular season, NCst won the tourney. SU went combined 3-2 against them, beat the Pac 12 champ on a neutral and beat the Patriot League champ, albeit in a huge comeback. There were some moments this year.

I think UVA is sliding to mediocrity as fast or faster than we did with JB these last few years. I could just see the talent disparity in a game against Duke.

Exactly. So maddening we pushed out Q especially as he helps replace all of Judah JT and Benny.

It is not a given that next years team has more talent either. I feel like we are relying on Moore and Freeman to be one and done talents.

Sometimes when you win, you really lose, and sometimes when you lose, you really win, and sometimes when you win or lose, you actually tie, and sometimes when you tie, you actually win or lose. Winning or losing is all one organic mechanism, from which one extracts what one needs.

- Plato

Attachments

• 1710946855513.gif
    1710946855513.gif
    789.9 KB · Views: 18
As of February 19, UVA was 19-5 and had won 8 games in a row. Since then they've gone 4-6 with three losses of more than 25 points. I wonder what their fans are saying...

As of February 19, UVA was 19-5 and had won 8 games in a row. Since then they've gone 4-6 with three losses of more than 25 points. I wonder what their fans are saying...
Well, here's what one said -
I don't make assessments until I've cooled off a bit from the heat of raw emotions. My belief is based on my view of the whole season (last night was "just another brick in the wall").
I always want the players in all our sports who come here to play to stay with us for as long as possible. That said, I really won't get very upset if any player who can return other than Blake Buchanan left. To me he's a work in progress and has a great potential (but as a certain C. Brown once said, "There is no heavier heavier burden than a great potential"). The others are replaceable. Don't get me wrong, I am NOT trying to drive them away, I just won't be that upset if they leave as some posters will be.
Tony now has 6 months to think about things that can fix this. I'd be very dismayed if folks think this will be easy. The "Tony has got this covered" crowd should have received a rude awakening by now that the fix won't be instantaneous. It should be obvious he can't make the ball go in the basket. Making some sacrifices on the "imperviousness" of the defensive scheme to bolster offense probably will be required. It very well may be that the entire structure has to be "stripped down to the studs" and completely reconstructed.

at least CSU wasn't a 16 seed.
but if I were a St. John's or Oklahoma fan, I'd be incensed.

UVA scored 42 points for the game, had 14 at the half. If you watched, I think it is reasonable to wonder how SU gave up so many points to an obviously flawed offensive team when others have completely limited them. It was a reminder that SU's defense was truly bad at times this past season. Yes, SU improved, and many other factors are to be considered, but they played terrible in their game vs UVA. And I also think of how everything relates to SU as I watch games. So, the OP might have been harsh, but I thought about his statement as well.
a lot of SU's issues this season were scheme-related

there were other problems, obviously, and they got slightly better as the season wore on...hard to tell how it mightve gone if the roster hadnt been decimated...but it never got there, in the end.

we will know a lot next year.

Well, here's what one said -

Please strip the pack line defense down to it's studs. We are sick of being the bug on it's windshield.

"The pack line is designed to clog up potential driving lanes to the paint by forcing ball handlers to the middle of the floor where more "help" is concentrated. It forces opposing teams to pass and shoot well, while limiting dribble penetration and post play." (Wikipedia)

The game was December 2.

They shot 55% from 2 57% from 3 and 80% from the line.

For the season they shot 43%, 36%, and 64%.

If you adjust their shooting to the average for our game it would equate to eight fewer two point shots, four fewer three pointers, and three fewer free throws.

They basically scored 31 points higher than their shooting averages for the year in our game.
How did that happen? We played MTM, and had two NBA type guards to replace slow Joe????

How did that happen? We played MTM, and had two NBA type guards to replace slow Joe????
You asking how did we give up many less 3's this year and have a better defensive rating for the year?

Tony's perfect for TV. He should just retire and get a TV deal so he doesn't have to deal with this mess. His system was an obvious casualty of the new era. He's young enough to adapt if he really wants to, just not sure he wants to. And, if he doesn't want to adapt he should protect his legacy. Everyone here knows what happens when a coach holds on too long and refuses to change.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom